Remaking old flashlight help

jurgisgavenas

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm probably risking my forum life (after all the warnings i've read) but i think this is the right forum to write.
I have these 3 flashlights. (that i am willing to sacrifice) and make one super flashlight(if you will :D )

The host: big old flashlight that used to have an oldschool (as in not-LED) lightbulb.
I really like the ergonomics of this one as well as the fact it has tons of space to put extra bateries in. (a feature i want to have , cuz i need alot of lighttime for my urban explorations :) )
2015-03-30%2015.51.15.jpg
2015-03-30%2015.51.28.jpg

The donors:

2015-03-30%2015.52.02.jpg

these 2, cheap DX lights i can scrap for parts.

My goals are:
1. assemble a new flashlight , if possible without buying new parts.
2. get to know LED flashlight inner workings and better understand the technology for future projects.

To be clear my understanding of working with things like this is very minimal.

I am sure that there are are guides in this forum that have worked on similar project, tho after a hour of searching i cant seem to find them.
any suggestions on what to search for would be nice.

P.S. Hi forums :)

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be clear my understanding of working with things like this is very minimal.
Google for "LED calculator"... That'll tell you enough about how to calculate / control current through a LED (including power LEDs). Voltage * current (A) = power (Watts). Datasheet for the specific LED will give an estimate for voltage or current -> lumens output for different temperatures (read: temperature of the actual LED semiconductor die). Oh yes, and understanding what a switch does. :D

Specialized driver circuits are just a more flexible / efficient (? depends) / fancier way of achieving the same. The rest is mechanics...