Why isn't Fenix making more PD32 UEs?

avernite

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand why the PD32 UE was made in limited runs. It seems like one of Fenix's best-selling lights. I've heard that the PD32 UE was replaced by the PD35 but that doesn't make sense to me because the two lights have very different beam characteristics.

I think if Fenix can make exotic lights like the TK76 then there's room in their product line for both the PD32 UE and the PD35. I hope they make more of them in the future. What do you guys think?

kj2

Flashaholic
Glad I picked one up. Tint on it is great, and use it occasionally. The PD32UE can't be compared with the PD35, indeed. Also picked up a PD32 Turbo. That one looks like a PD32UE but with PD35 specs :)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why the PD32 UE was made in limited runs. It seems like one of Fenix's best-selling lights. I've heard that the PD32 UE was replaced by the PD35 but that doesn't make sense to me because the two lights have very different beam characteristics.

I think if Fenix can make exotic lights like the TK76 then there's room in their product line for both the PD32 UE and the PD35. I hope they make more of them in the future. What do you guys think?

Very different beam characteristics? This is the first time I've heard that...what are the differences? I have a PD32UE that I am trying to get parts for right now (I damaged the tailcap assembly), but if I am unable to do so, my plan was to get either a PD35 or a TN12. I thought the PD35 would essentially be the same, except a tad brighter and a cooler tint...

I agree that it is strange (and unfortunate) that they discontinued it. Tint aside, I really like the huge hotspot it offers.

markr6

Flashaholic
I loved mine so much at first I purchased a second one. That huge spot is very useful, but I'm sure their marketing found people like to brag "hey my light throws 185 meters...yours only goes 155...HA!" more than about a good tint or big hotspot.

Relatively small differences like that are stupid and impractical in real life IMO. If you REALLY need big throw numbers, then there are other lights to consider.

Anyway, I still have both of them, but NEVER use them becasue I found the UI to drive me nuts. 5 modes to constantly cycle thru. You have no idea what mode the light will come on unless you have a photographic memory. Some people argue "just reset it to low after each use". No! I'm not putting the toilet seat down after each use either.

Great light if you typically use only one mode without much switching (i.e. medium 95% of the time walking the dog). Plus, the tint is awesome. I purchased five total so I could pick the best two "matching" tints. Yes, I obsess over tints.

avernite

Newly Enlightened
Very different beam characteristics? This is the first time I've heard that...what are the differences?

I was referring to the warmer tint and larger hotspot, so very different may be overstating it. However, I feel the beams are different enough that the PD35 doesn't completely fill the role of the PD32 UE.

I've looked at most of the 1x18650 options out there and the PD32 UE looks like the optimal one for my needs, even though it has a dated emitter and doesn't tail-stand (I believe). I live in Canada and I haven't found a way to acquire one which is a bit frustrating. Maybe Fenix realized the PD32 UE was just too good of a light and decided to stop making them for fear of putting themselves out of business :shrug:

Anyway, I still have both of them, but NEVER use them becasue I found the UI to drive me nuts. 5 modes to constantly cycle thru. You have no idea what mode the light will come on unless you have a photographic memory. Some people argue "just reset it to low after each use". No! I'm not putting the toilet seat down after each use either.

Yeah I can understand the frustration with the 5 brightness levels combined with mode memory. I wish there was a way to lock out modes because I never use the high ones. That 140 lumen mode though, that sounds like a perfect amount of light for walking along a path at night. And I'm all about that large hotspot :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Kueh

Newly Enlightened
I like my PD32UE alot. The beam pattern suits my work needs perfectly. My mistake was not getting another one as a back-up.

Anyone found an equivalent replacement ?

wjv

Enlightened
Very different beam characteristics? This is the first time I've heard that...what are the differences?

PD32UE - Nice neutral tint - Wide hotspot

PD35 - blueish tint - somewhat more focused beam

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was referring to the warmer tint and larger hotspot, so very different may be overstating it. However, I feel the beams are different enough that the PD35 doesn't completely fill the role of the PD32 UE.

OK, that makes more sense to me. Thank you for the clarification. I was aware of the tint difference...that was what made the PD32UE special...but I thought the hotspots were functionally similar. Apparently not...and I agree that is not a good thing. I really like the big hotspot of my PD32UE...now I want to get it working again more than ever.

radiopej

Enlightened
I love mine. It was my first proper light. I don't use it often, as it is my backpack backup with primaries in it. Such a great beam and I actually like the UI. A secondary button is awesome with memory. I leave it on high. Only things I'd change would be adding tailstanding, moving the side switch to the tail cap for ease of use and moonlight mode.

avernite

Newly Enlightened
I like my PD32UE alot. The beam pattern suits my work needs perfectly. My mistake was not getting another one as a back-up.

Anyone found an equivalent replacement ?

You can still get them through Am@zon. I found a US seller that ships to Canada so I'll be getting mine in about a week.

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
PD32UE is my daily carry. I always say it's the last flashlight I will ever buy. I love the wide fading beam and neutral white color. It's the perfect pocket light.

Maybe I'll order another before they disappear.