Nitecore Battery wrapping

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
Noticed the wrapping around the battery was peeling off, then there was a metal tab exposed which was + so I didn't like that and ripped it off. Here we have a Panasonic NCR18650b underneath. Does this mean its unprotected since I removed some circuit on the anode? Is that an issue ?
4825e40b3d0aa91939bad15cc4cad7f6.jpg

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats...now you're runnin' naked!

Generally, you don't want to remove the wrappers like that.

You can buy new 'cut to fit' shrink wrappers and do it yourself.

Chris

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
Interesting. I recall reading just the other day where somebody theorized that Nitecore was using Panasonics under their own wrapping. I guess this confirms it. I've sworn by Panasonics for the 4 years I've been vaping (18650CH and PD, and more recently PF). They've always been stellar performers, so I'm glad to see this. :cool:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I recall reading just the other day where somebody theorized that Nitecore was using Panasonics under their own wrapping. I guess this confirms it. I've sworn by Panasonics for the 4 years I've been vaping (18650CH and PD, and more recently PF). They've always been stellar performers, so I'm glad to see this. :cool:

Most of the light makers: Nitecore, Zebralight, Xtar, Fenix, Olight, Klarus, Jetbeam, et. al, generally use quality base cells in their cell offerings; however, some use the oddball Chinese sourced cells and knowing which is which can be helpful.

Personally, most of the above are highly overpriced, or were when they first hit the markets, so apart from a pair of EagleTac 3100s (Panasonic NCR-A) that I bought in the very beginning of my li-ion adventure, I've stuck with naked base cells from quality makers like Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung and LG.

One has to be a bit more diligent and careful, but I like that flexibility and prices are rather low for these base cells.

Chris

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
If you must know I got like 12 of the NL189 Nitecore batteries for $30 shipped last year. Sold most off or gave away with lights but kept few for my self.

How low can ya go before the battery poops out ?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you must know I got like 12 of the NL189 Nitecore batteries for $30 shipped last year. Sold most off or gave away with lights but kept few for my self.

How low can ya go before the battery poops out ?

Li-ions have a shelf life, whether they're used, or not, but they don't have expiry dates, so who knows?

If you won't be using them for a couple/few months at a stretch, discharge down to ~3.6v, place them in a sealed ZipLock baggie and store them in the fridge.

12 cells for $30 shipped, is a steal.

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
I run a lot naked..............lights too:p

Nice to see what we know,a pany B behind the wrapper!! Still *one* of the best cells for general flashlight use out there imo,for run times,value and brand.

Mr Somebody,now you can save a small fortune if happy running "naked" and just buy pany B or even pany A(3100) for future lights:)

Edit-just seen $30 for 12 cells...............jeez thats some deal:D

HKJ

Flashaholic
Li-ions have a shelf life, whether they're used, or not, but they don't have expiry dates, so who knows?

It is a bit difficult to give them an expiry date, if you live in a very hot place it might only be a year or two, but in a fridge it might be 10 years.