Broken tk-35, can I fix it?

freman

Newly Enlightened

Edit :

Well I took out the magnifying glass and think I found the problem. Something I missed on my first few looks.
This black thingie is burnt, the coating on it bubbled up.

What's it called, and where can I find a new one?

FHbm5Ua.jpg

I dropped the thing two stories down onto a cement floor as I was squeezing through a tight hole.
This was while I was exploring an abandoned factory, at night. It was scary trying to find my way out, my back-up was a bic lighter.
A scene straight out of a horror film :mecry:

So what exactly isn't shock-proof about these lights? I opened it up but found nothing wonky. Although, I don't really know what to look for.
Is it the cree LED that most likely broke, and is there a way to test it? Are there part kits floating about online?

I have basic soldering skills, a voltmeter and a paypal account. Help me bring this one back to life!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I am not sure,but Fenix may offer a standard repair fee...........might be worth an email to see costs involved to save the light........

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi freman,

It might be the inductor. I had an old Fenix E0 that quit after being dropped - the inductor sheared right off the board. I'm sure someone here could help you fix that if Fenix wont!

It was scary trying to find my way out, my back-up was a bic lighter.
A scene straight out of a horror film :mecry:

A.. bic lighter?

:poke:

Carry a backup light next time please. We don't want any horror stories about how you hurt yourself because you didn't have a backup light! :)

ven

Flashaholic
This would be an awesome opportunity to Vinh your light if you can't fix it.

Yes have to agree ,with mr mmassey too,great opportunity,if any light damage cosmetic wise(would guess so),maybe an ano strip for a more custom look too.

This could end up being your best light from a fall:D

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
You're very lucky you didn't fall the same distance to the concrete without a backup light. But I am sure next time you'll bring 2 or 3 lights with you.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send a Vinh seems like a good idea, in addition to the repair can be replace the original cool withe led with a neutral led.
I have a TK35 (860 lumens) to which I change led by a Italian modder, now is XM-L2 neutral withe and gives me great satisfaction.

(Translate with Google)

ven

Flashaholic
Vinh is a great guy,very clever and mods flashlights,improves them from led swaps,to current bumps,beefed up components,better heat sinking to custom heat treated and ano stripping etc etc or all of them together. Even custom UI ......

His customer service is fantastic,best way if you do decide this route is to email him rather than pm

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?140-Vinhnguyen54

freman

Newly Enlightened
Well I took out the magnifying glass and think I found the problem. Something I missed on my first few looks.
This black thingie is burnt, the coating on it bubbled up.

What's it called, and where can I find a new one?

FHbm5Ua.jpg

Last edited: