UCL lens

oxanen

Newly Enlightened
I just got my UCL lens from flashlightlens.com in the mail today. It's pretty amazing what the diffusion film does to the beam quality. It almost makes my mag beam look like a Surefire. I have the diffusion film side on the inside of the light, towards the bulb so it won't get scratched. I assume this is how it's supposed to be installed. My question is this: Should I worry about possibly menting this film, especially if I use a bulb like the WA01160 which I understand runs pretty hot? Thanks,

Justin

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I do not know the answer to your question, but will mention that another alternative is to get a PMR Orange Peel reflector. The "bumpy" reflector surface will also smooth out the beam of your Mag similar to the way the UCL/LDF does.

You missed out on the group buy, but I think there may be extra's, watch the B/S/T forum for more information.

Here is a link to the B/S/T thread.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I've tried cooking the LDF in a TigerLight for a few minutes face down on a desk - no visible damage. I'll see if I can run some more intense tests to get a better idea of it's durability. I think the nice thing will be that if it does in fact soften up a lot, it will have a solid surface that it's attached to so it won't deform as much.

Does anyone out there have an LDF lens in a real high output light?

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Since the film diffuses the light, it's pretty much impossible to measure the change in output unless you maybe use one of those integrating sphere things.

I wish I had a friend or someone who had access to this type of equipment. Maybe I'll see if Quickbeam is willing to run such a test with his homemade mini-sphere.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
The problem with the light meter test on a diffusion lens is that it doesn't measure the entire output from the light. You can put the hotspot on the meter, but there's more spill light with a diffusion lens that's not being accounted for.

soloco

Enlightened
Cool! That's pretty impressive. I guess I'm just getting more side-spill from the refractions/deflections of the LDF on my Blaster VI.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
What size did you use for the Blaster VI? Any before and after beamshots on the VI?

soloco

Enlightened
I had to order a custom sized UCL with LDF from flashlightlens.com. I haven't posted any beamshots, but I'd be glad to.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Hornet - You are correct. I forgot that that thread was in fact a measurement of OVERALL light output as compared to other lenses. Thanks.

Thanks also to Quickbeam for providing all of theses tests - he is truly an asset to these forums!!