Dropped my ThruNite TN12 2014 and broke something inside - hope for self repair?

NoelC

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

My first post here. Today I dropped my 1 year old ThruNite TN12 2014 Warm White EDC flashlight from pocket level onto concrete. It landed flat sideways, and now something's loose and rattling around under the mode switch. The light does not work.

Unfortunately I've read about this happening to others as well. There's some evidence that the internal assembly relies on physical strength from solder joints, which electronics people generally regard as a no-no. I'm a bit surprised it is not filled with some kind of solidifying agent.

Anyway, I'm reasonably handy and can do repairs of most things, but it looks to me like a very special tool would be required to unscrew (??) the plate with the battery spring to get at what's underneath. A pair of long needle nose pliers don't seem grab the assembly well enough.

This picture shows the flat slots (and the slight damage I caused by trying to use pliers):

TN12_Innards.jpg

Is there hope for me to be able to get this thing apart and repair it without investing in a special tool? Anyone done it?

I really liked this light, and if I can't fix it I'll buy another one just like it (or maybe there's a great new model I haven't heard about yet that's better at surviving drops).

Thanks in advance for any wisdom and advice you can share.

-Noel

NoelC

Newly Enlightened
FYI,

Thrunite has returned my query and offered to replace the light. All I have to do is send it in. Very nice of them.

-Noel