Using LuciDrv Firmware

Flyflash

Newly Enlightened
After programming several P60 modules that have this firmware, here are my joys, frustrations, observations, and recommendations:

1. I really enjoy being able to set the mode group exactly how I want it. Being able to set it and work with it to make it fit what I want is great! Having a second mode group is nice. It does however take a moment to flip it over to the new group. I like the built in voltmeter: Enter the programming mode and the light blinks 8 times, means the battery is at 3.8 volts…nice!

2 The instructions are rather vague and incomplete:
The first issue is the instructions on entering programming mode. It says shortly after the 8 rapid taps, a blinking signal will be shown. That is not really accurate. What happens after you hit the magical 8 rapid half-taps, is the light quits responding; Keep tapping, but there are no more flashes coming out of the light. From this point, either press part way down and hold and the blinking starts, or go ahead and click light on and the blinking starts. From this point, let the light keep blinking until it exits the programming mode, release or unclick the switch to exit programming mode, or go ahead and tap the appropriate number of times for the desired mode.

3 Things can get very confusing in the programming mode: My first recommendation would be to hit 8 taps in the mode group you are programming to select no-memory before you do anything else. Then the next step, if there are lots of different modes in that group (up to 7), would be to start deleting modes (6 taps). I would do this up to 6 times to get down to one mode in the group. I found it much easier to start with one mode, work with brightness, and build up modes from there. If you want LMH or HML, it will make it easier if you think about it before you start. When you hit 7 taps to add a mode, it duplicates the brightness level of the active mode and puts it BEFORE the previous one. So, if you want to build LMH, I would start with my high mode as my first mode, add a second mode (it will come on at the high brightness then program it down to medium. Then from medium, add another mode and toggle it down to low. Reverse the order for HML

4 Rather than have to go into a mode and do clean up, I think it would be nice to have one or more programming levels that would do that for you. Maybe 10 taps would give you one mode on High brightness, 11 taps would give you one mode on low brightness, 12 taps would give you a default LMH, and 13 taps would give you a default HML to start.

Those are just some of thoughts on the new firmware. I'm still pretty new with the firmware, so I might be inaccurate with some of my observations and recommendations. Please jump in and correct me if I'm missing something or if you have a different viewpoint.
Thanks!

Last edited:

MMD

Enlightened
It is generally awesome. I really like the ability to customize and change it whenever I want. I have been using it set on 2 mode no memory 1(L)/15(H). My one problem is that the light does not always come on at the low/1 setting. I found that with the classic LuciDrv the no memory setting requires the light to be on for about one second in order to start back at the first setting. If the light is just pulsed on for less than one second it will go to the next mode no matter how long it is off. This is generally not a problem because I am not using the light for less than one second. The problem is I may accidentally bump the switch or otherwise unknowingly pulse the light and when I turn it on it comes on in high.

There is an Off Time version called LuciDrv/Ft that seems to be more desirable for me in this case.

One other thing is that the 8 taps is fairly easy to stumble into. I wish it was a little more difficult to enter programming. This is also not a big problem because it only happens when I am playing around and getting switch happy. Still it would be nice IMO to have a more cryptic sequence like 8 taps but some short and done long or otherwise. I do understand that a jumper can be soldered to lock the programming. This is great but having a custom light usually prohibits this from being accessed unless it is done one time when being built.

I think a really cool custom option would be to have a micro switch exposed or a tiny jumper port accessible to manually switch on and off programming lockout.

I am not really addressing how great this driver is and only focusing on criticism here but I should note that I would buy this same setup again and again. It is really great. The driver actually has solutions to my only concerns if I only had the knowledge to spec it properly before ordering and/or built it myself.

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm running Lucidrv/ft. Love it. Bought 6-8 of them and am equipping all my diy lights with them. I have 6 of them custom programmed with a lower low. One gets from 0.04-350 lumens. The other is around 0.1-750 lumens. Just awesome. Also using short cycle memory. The best for me.

Flyflash

Newly Enlightened
I think I came off a little too critical of the firmware. It really makes a light whatever the user desires. I think its great that if you decide to sell a module with LuciDrv firmware, you don't have to worry about trying to sell a L - H only light; The new owner can change that to LMH, HLM, or whatever. I have found after playing with the modes and setting it up to my liking, I really haven't gone back into the settings to change anything. I do have that option which is great. I've switched between the two modes many times, but I really wonder if my needs justify using both. I have LMH and LM set, but rather than take the time to do 8 half taps, see the flashing and tap 2 more times to get mode set up, why don't I just not use the high mode on the original mode. I think I might switch the second mode over to something like strobe. A mode I might need, but not very often.

I see some new modules coming out with GuppyDrv with 24 programed modes. That would be way too many options for me, and is does not allow individual customization. I'll keep my LuciDrv modules and don't plan on selling any off. It really is the best option out there right now. I just wanted to share a few observations.

Thanks

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Im with mike on this one.

I have two lights with the LucidRv-FT

Ti Mac Tri EDC and Sinners Cypreus 18350

I Love, Love, Love Hybrid memory. I wish all my lights
were Hybrid memory. After trying hybrid memory, I despise having to cycle
Thru all the remaining modes, just to come back to low. After all , my most used
modes are Moon, low, And medium.

Another positive feature for me, is the ability to add modes.

I like having at least 5 modes. 3 is not enough range. But 5-6 gives me enough
Range , I can dial in just the right amount of light without being wasteful.

LucidRv :twothumbs From Me!

plaguem

Enlightened
I'm running Lucidrv/ft. Love it. Bought 6-8 of them and am equipping all my diy lights with them. I have 6 of them custom programmed with a lower low. One gets from 0.04-350 lumens. The other is around 0.1-750 lumens. Just awesome. Also using short cycle memory. The best for me.

Hey there,

Can I ask where you bought them? I tried googling them but I can't seem to find them easily. I've got a lucidrv that I got with a tana singled and it's great! I would like to put it into more of my dropins if possible.

jmoyat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Archi for the quick reference screenshot, it'll certainly help programming my Lucidrv drivers [emoji106]