House is on fire and only time to save one torch! Which one & why?

Whiskers

Newly Enlightened

It may not be the brightest or the best but somehow one particular flashlight made you fall in love with it. You try and ignore those irrational feelings and rotate your other perhaps better flashlights for the job at hand but still find yourself thinking "Man I wish I had my {Insert favorite flashlight} with me! I'm just not enjoying myself as much without it. I'm never leaving it behind again. Even if I need a different flashlight that suits current purpose better I'm gonna keep my fave flashlight with me always!"

I'm quite a fickle person and fall in and out of love with flashlights often but I always have one that I'm love with. I'm never flashlight single and my love affair with them sometimes overlap. I know they don't get jealous but I sure feel guilty when I stick my ex by the bedside to make room in my pocket for my latest love. Eventually the ex gets left in a tool bag or given to the wife but in the meantime I feel better giving her pride of place next to my pillow until my latest love needs that spot too.

My latest affair is the Fenix PD35. I knew it'd be my current love as soon as I saw its packaging and I gently teased it out. It fell comfortably into my hand and felt like a weary foot in an old slipper and I just knew it and I were going to be besties forever. I've had it three weeks and I'm still in love with it. 960 lumens with several levels below. No moonlight mode but nothing is perfect. Rechargeable on 18650s or can slum it on CR123s and best of all, compact without being too small and a grippy form factor without being too clunky *Waves at Klarus XT11. I loved you once but now we only take the bins out together.

Do you have a current love huh? You don't have to come out and admit it publicly just post a few specs of "Teh' flashlight I happen to be using the most at present that gets the job done. Period" I'll still get you.

Last edited:

Equipt

Newly Enlightened
I would have to say my favourite would have the be just a simple little Ledlenser P2. It's not the biggest or the smallest of my collection, but it is the one I seem to find in my pocket the most, but to that detriment it has been through the washing machine a couple of times now but it is still going strong.

radiopej

Enlightened
My Maglite 2D. I remember my dad buying it and I thought it was awesome. He probably accidentally got me into lights. It sits on the floor next to my girlfriend's side of the bed. I don't even use it, but it's there.

I love my lights, but almost all because they're awesome. Even thought it's probably one of the weakest I have, it's the one I'd miss the most because it's irreplaceable. You can buy any of my lights now, even if it just costs more. You can't buy a light that your dad got you again.

Amelia

Enlightened
My EagleTac MX25L3C (Nichia 219). It's the only light I have that I can truly say does just about everything really well, and the light it puts out is beautiul almost beyond belief. My favorite light ever, without a doubt!

Whiskers

Newly Enlightened

I'm also kinda loving the LD12, the kid sis' to my PD35. She's smaller, lighter and not as bright but theres just something about her that I can't put down! She goes down to three lumens which just makes my insteps tingle and is easily pleased with a single AA. One EDC is just not enough when there's room in my pants for two!

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would probably be my Surefire L1 Cree. It is probably my best all arounder because it has two modes which makes a good EDC light, but the two stage switching makes it an excellent tactical-use light as well. It is small enough without being too small, has the ability to be neck carried or secured to my wrist using a lanyard, and also has knurling which gives me a great grip. It is also discontinued, which I can't say about most of the other lights in my collection.

For a while I was concerned that the tailcap might not hold up to prolonged use, but I recently acquired a well-used L1-RD which is probably 10 years old (or more), and its switch still works perfectly.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you delay getting out of the house (in time) in order to save a flashlight, I'll recommend you for a Darwin award. :)

I could understand grabbing one if the place you're in is a maze, filled with smoke, lights are out, and you're a long way from an exit. As for me: small house, multiple exits, can find my way around blindfolded. If there's time left: more important things to grab.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, I think this is an alternative way of asking "which is your favorite light and why". Obviously, nobody with any fragment of a brain would choose a flashlight over their own (or their family's) safety.

Just suspend reality for a moment and have fun with it ;)

Nicrod

Flashaholic
I'd have to say, it would be my "Made in USA" black NovaTac 120P with unobtainium PEU bezel, and Moddoo clip.

80cd5c401ddb9b3636ab9a3e06455cac.jpg

c47763895d1e1e8a7e83556a25608130.jpg

There are many other MORE expensive lights in the collection. But this one has a sentimental value, that couldn't be replaced.
I've had a relationship(Love Affair) with this light, that other lights could never understand.

This one is irreplaceable!

specs:

120P- produced in Carlsbad CA,
5000K XML2, UCL Glass lens
PEU bezel W/Green Trits, GITD Oring
Moddoo Clip
6 Gauge solid copper + pos-post
can run RCR123, IMR 18350's

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened
Mine would be the PD35 as well. I bought it specifically for the unanticipated emergency that I hope will never happen (house on fire, zombie apocalypse), so it would definitely be the one I'd grab. I use it often for trivial tasks like changing the thermostat or reading the electric meter, just so I know it'll be working when I need it for something more urgent.

I guess you never know how you'll respond to a situation until you're in it, but I'm almost positive I would grab a light before getting out in an emergency. I can think of all kinds of ways a good flashlight could be beneficial, and I've hopefully got them placed where one will be handy in any situation.

Whiskers

Newly Enlightened
Guys, I think this is an alternative way of asking "which is your favorite light and why". Obviously, nobody with any fragment of a brain would choose a flashlight over their own (or their family's) safety.

Just suspend reality for a moment and have fun with it ;)

Exactly right! If we didn't suspended reality for a while we'd all be sat around watching endless news programmers instead of The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad.

If I want my torch in a life or death situation where I carry it out of my burning house in slow motion to a full orchestral score while wearing a ripped shirt and pretending not to like the sexily smeared soot on my cheek and slightly tousled hair bouncing around in a manful if slightly metrosexual fashion I jolly well will :green:

MMD

Enlightened
Let's keep it PG-13 here folks��. I do sleep with my light like everyone else here though.

I'd just have to grab my edc bag on the way out. It's got a grip of my most loved lights. I can't pick just one. I can't even leave the house with just one.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF 6th Gen L1. Then again, it's always on me so I need not go grab it in case.
So, that leaves me time to grab one more? That'd be my C2 with 219 triple.

Chay

Newly Enlightened
Let's keep it PG-13 here folks��. I do sleep with my light like everyone else here though.

I'd just have to grab my edc bag on the way out. It's got a grip of my most loved lights. I can't pick just one. I can't even leave the house with just one.

Same here! I have my Fenix E15 on my keychain and a PD22UE as an EDC item, for my pocket :)

If I had to leave with just one flashlight, it would definitely be my PD22UE, simply cause I have it on me all the time. E15 as well if I could choose 2 :whistle:

Jammin

Newly Enlightened
Only one is tough... but the one I have been really attached to lately is my thrunight tn12. Not expensive and not fancy, but it really has impressed me. I love the spacing of brightness ML/L/M/H and i just feel like this one would actually last the longest and be the most functional.

Latest posts