Headlamp suggestions for me??

natk171

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks,

I'm looking for a solid headlamp to use for night hiking. One that I currently have in mind is the hl27 by coast. I like it because it has features I am looking for such as a flood and spot beam (is spot really necessary for hiking?), over 200 lumens, doesn't require multiple clicks of a button to get to the light setting you want. And of course the price is under $60. Things that I am not crazy about on this headlamp are the weight, and the plastic piece holding the light (prefer it to be aluminum or steel).

Can you guys suggest some headlamps with these specifications that might give the Hl27 some good competition?

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
View Zebralight H52 or H52w (w = neutral withe)

Or various Fenix headlamps:
HL50 (AA battery)
HP15 - HP55 - HP12 (18650 battery)

should all be within the $ 60 that indicated

(Translate with Google)

Boko

Newly Enlightened
I know everyone's tastes are different, but is 200-plus lumens necessary for night hiking? I find 100 is more than enough and usually use lower settings if the head torch has them.

daflip702

Newly Enlightened
City for losing your mind/wallet AKA Las Vegas
I know everyone's tastes are different, but is 200-plus lumens necessary for night hiking? I find 100 is more than enough and usually use lower settings if the head torch has them.

I think it depends on ambient lighting and beam pattern. honestly I find myself using HI mode more with my ZL H51f because of the frosted lens.

As for OP....
If your looking for lightweight headlamps, I think that you should go with a 1AA format if you're planning to use AA type cells(the output wouldn't be alot and runtime will suffer). Using the memory feature will negate cycling through modes.

Fenix HL30<--this fits all your criteria. Over 200 lumens. Memory mode. 2AA format. 3.05z(without batteries nor straps) technically, should be lighter.
Fenix HL23<--1AA format. but less output. considerably lighter 1.76oz
Xtar H1<--1AA. Li-Ion support. Lanyard. But No Memory.

would consider if your willing to bump up the price range a bit:
ZebraLight H52 series
Armytek Tiara

or my, now personal favorite...
Spark SG5nw

natk171

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions guys I definitely appreciate it. I am definitely more open minded now about using some 18650 rechargeable or cr123a's as the output will be better and they last longer. Just curious, I noticed there isn't much being posted on this site about coast headlamps, is that because they aren't that great or you guys just have other preferences?

On a side note I have been eyeing the HL55 and HP12 by fenix and they look like amazing lamps but they have no spot beam. I been trying to figure out: Is a spot beam necessary for night hiking?

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
I find that when I hike and backpack, I want a middle ground between spot and flood. I had a Princeton Tec EOS, which was spot and the spot was a bit too narrow, giving me tunnel vision and a bouncy ball in front of my face. I also still have Princeton Tec QUAD, which is flood, and I've noticed that it lacks throw for hiking/backpacking.

I currently use a Zebralight H52w, which has better throw than the Quad and more spill than the EOS spot. Works great for what I need.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination supply has the ArmyTek Tiara Pro on a bizarre sale of $35, hurry over there and get one and be done. Before they are sold out.

natk171

Newly Enlightened
So I have been looking at the fenix light you guys suggested (hl50) and the zebra h52 and I am leaning towards the fenix because it has longer run times. My only question now is how accurate are these run times that they claim on the web site? Will the hl50 actually run on high for 3 hours?

I ask this because I saw a comparison video between a couple flashlights (p12 and pd35 lights) and the person mentioned that these runtimes are just marketing tactics and came up with much lower runtimes when he tested them.

JDTeran

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I have great success with the nitecore H90. It's all aluminum, infinantly variable intensity using a single 18650. It has a micro USB port through which you can charge the battery, and red, blue, and green LEDs in addition to the Super bright XML. It's a bit on the pricy side at 90usd. If this is your first 18650 light, though, you won't have to purchase an additional charger.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please consider that the Zebralight H52w runtime you see on the official website are calculated with Eneloop "white" 2000 mA.
Zebra H52w: (level H2) 172 Lm (1.7 hrs)
With Eneloop Pro (black) 2500 mA the Zebralight runtime is 25% higher

D6859

Enlightened
I been trying to figure out: Is a spot beam necessary for night hiking?

I prefer flood in the headlamp and to carry a throwy flashlight with me.

About some of the lights daflip702 mentioned:
I went to hiking with our student organization last fall with Fenix HL30. It's really floody headlamp. I had my flashlight with me also and I used it if I needed more throw. Most of the time we used the headlamps when we were in the camp so I preferred floody light. I liked that the headlamp did'nt give me tunnel vision. I could use it two nights with 2 NiMHs (Eneloops). It also has a red light if you're into that.

Xtar H1 is nice little headlamp too and takes in 14500's (this changes the modes a little and also adds one higher mode). Unfortunately the light doesn't like the longer 14500's ones as I recently learned. The beam is quite throwy. I prefer floody light so I've wrapped a piece of scotch tape around the head. It diffuses the light nicely.

My favorite today is Tiara A1. I recommend it, especially if you can get it on sale. It has also floody beam.

Latest posts