HWA WYS Ultrafire fake

plate

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!
First, I'm quite new to flashlights, even tho I know a thing or two about electronics. So please don't be mad if I ask something silly.

Second, recently I bought myself a cheap flashlight from eBay (not giving a link I read the rules :D )
It was rated as 2200lm, even tho I realized right away that It probably isn't true, I thought It will be bright enough for me (going to use it for night fishing, some camping, walking the dog late at night)... once it gets dark I'll test it out on something.

What surprised me is the shady build quality. I mean, I haven't seen any manufacturer sell their merchandise with some dings, scratches and pieces of iron that is obviously from cutting the bezel.
So... I took it apart to have a good look inside... And understood that I don't understand a thing here.

Google doesn't say anything about this LED (LatticeBright ver.:2.0):

Or this chip (YN-20-5):

And doesn't it need a heatsink in that open space in there?

The flashlight:

Well... at least the lens can do come macros :D:

Can anyone give me any information about the LED? I mean the actual lumens, what do the other pins do?
Possible LED/chip upgrade in here?

plate

Newly Enlightened
I read the first article, but it didn't say anything new about a LatticeBright ver.:2.0 (I could have told you that it's a cree xm-l myself)

And I agree, I may have tossed this in the wrong forum.

plate

Newly Enlightened
Ok... then can anyone point me in the direction for the emitters info-sheet?
Or explain in a few words is the star base a good enough heatsink or it should have something more there?

candanga

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, greetings :)

I just wanted to add my 2 cents on this one, as I'm in the same boat.

I purchased the same exact model of "Ultrafire", mine says "HWA/WTS", and yours "WYS", no idea which one is the cheapest, LOL.

Anyways, here is the data sheet (I assume), is the one for this Lattice Bright LED http://www.latticebright.com/UploadFiles/Document/201409/21423061890990620.pdf apparently its about 240LM/8000 K (blueish-purple)
So I went to ebay and check some other true CREE XML 20mm options from this flashlight (XM-L vs XM-L2)

Thing is, I own a Jetbeam PA10, and it BLASTS the Ultrafire away, so I'm using this LED as a reference. The P10 uses a real CREE XM-L LED T6, but I don't know which temperature is (Cool white or Neutral), I would say it's a Neutral, using this data sheet as reference http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C...d Modules/XLamp/Data and Binning/XLampXML.pdf
I've been trying to google this, but several websites contradict themselves. Once I find the color temp, I can narrow down my search, which takes me down to choose between XM-L2 vs XM-L, which have a 0.25V fwd voltage difference, which I don't know if Its good or bad (i.e. assuming using a 2200mah 18650).

Regarding the heatsink, I have no clue. Maybe the same chassis will work? no idea.

plate

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!
That might be what I was looking for, will have a close look at the info sheet a little later.

Regarding the heatsink, it had a smudge of thermal grease under it. No idea why. I cleaned it off because how it was on there didn't make any sense. I started to think that It was supposed to keep contact between the star base and the chassis? If anyone could confirm or deny that, it would be nice.

And what do you think about a led upgrade here? Possibly an actual Cree xm-l or xm-l2 ? (Not the high powered stuff, just brighter?)

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thermal compound help to fill in the small spaces between the emitter star & the heat sink to ensure proper heat transfer from the emitter.
From your 2nd photo, it doesn't look like your host has a heat sink for your emitter since we can see the driver & wires straight to your emitter star.. The thermal compound you see is probably to hold the star to the host.

And your emitter is alrdy an XM-L, you won't see much of an improvement to an XM-L2.
And you can't possibly drive them too hard since you dont have a proper heat sink as well

easilyled

Flashaholic
No heatsink is a recipe for disaster. Don't expect the led to live long if you use the highest level.

Even though Ultrafire is far from the best make around, to my knowledge they use heatsinks in their lights.