Sunwayman V11R vs Nitecore SRT3 - Comparison and thoughts

Amelia

Enlightened
Not really a review - more of a comparison between the two lights and some subjective thoughts.

The Sunwayman V11R (NW Emitter) used to be my EDC - but it has been replaced recently by (first) the Nitecore SRT5, and (more recently) the SRT3's head on the SRT5's body. I am often conflicted by this change, and wonder if it was a step backwards in some ways.

Some pros/cons/comparisons:

The Sunwayman V11R is really the only light in its class - a small diameter, compact, magnetic ring light that has no detents in the magring and no "tactical disco" blinky-bling modes. It is also the only unmodded mag-ring light that is still available with a neutral white emitter. The fit and finish is the essence of class and quality, with deep rich anodizing that goes to the moon! I love almost everything about this light, except a few niggling details that simply drive me mad if I think about them too much.

Main problem: The control ring friction is dependent entirely on viscous grease - and changes over time. Many users of this light (including myself) find that the ring becomes looser and "free wheeling" over time, as the grease slowly dissipates. This problem can be fixed, but it is a pain and requires either shipping the light to China for an extended vacation, or disassembling the light. This is an almost unforgivable engineering blunder, one of the biggest boneheaded mistakes by a major light manufacturer that I've ever seen.

My other main complaint about the V11R has to do with the pocket clip - it is a "snap on" type, which also unfortunately snaps OFF when you don't want it to. This can be fixed with a little clip modding by installing an aftermarket pocket clip with screw-on holes - but it's still a pain.

My SWM V11R came with an AA extender that REFUSED to work with the supplied O-Ring, I had to swap O-Rings with the tail section of the light to get it to work. Inexcusable QC and design - and it's a problem I've read about other users experiencing, so I know mine is not an isolated case.

The light output from the NW emitter version of the V11R is nothing short of perfect - it's the most "neutral" of all my neutral lights, and I own a lot of neutral emitter lights! The beam profile is very nice, and slightly "throwier" than the Nitecore SRT3 at the same output level. The tint is gorgeous - very similar to the Nichia 219, with only slightly lower levels of orang-ish-ness. Short of a true Nichia 219, the V11R Neutral White emitter is by far my favorite non-high-CRI emitter in all my collection.

The Nitecore SRT3 on the otherhand - greenish "ghostly" tint by comparison, not pleasant but not as bad as some. Very "cool", and not in a very cool way - if that makes sense. I've learned to live with it and accept it - because of the positive things this light offers.

The Nitecore SRT series lights have BEAUTIFUL gray anodizing, deep and pearly, over really classy machining. They are really, really nice looking lights. The tail and pocket clip of the SRT3 are perfect, the tail and pocket clip of the SRT5 suck rotten eggs. My ideal long-term project is to find a machinist to take a pair of SRT3 AA extenders and the main tail section, bore them to 17mm or 18mm, and say goodbye to the SRT5's 18650 tube for good. Until then, I live with it - the SRT3 head on the SRT5 body gives me everything I want in terms of multi-cell-type, multi-chemistry versatility.

The SRT lights are too big, heavy, and bulky. The V11R puts them to shame!

Why the SRTs then? A few reasons. The previously mentioned cell versatility - the option (with the SRT3/5 Lego) of using pretty much any cell (with tinfoil and paper McGyvering) from AAA to 18650, in all the chemistries. I also like the red emitter of the SRT series - many people have dismissed the red and blue as completely useless, but I find the red emitter to be extremely useful at night with dark adapted eyed - for both reading and non-attention-getting navigation around campsite and house.

The main reason I like the SRT series lights, though, is that they did the ring RIGHT - without the built-in self destruct feature of the V11R grease design. Once again - curse you, SWM, for such a STUPID design decision!

I think about going back to the V11R for my main EDC all the time. If I were to do so, I'd want to make these changes/mods:

Twin AA extender tubes, and tail section, bored to at least 17mm - 18mm if it's possible. I don't know if there is enough wall thickness for an 18mm bore, I'll need to find a good machinist to tell me. I really like running 18650 cells in my SRT3/5 EDC - and would like to do the same (or at least 17650) in the V11R.

A screw-on pocket clip. Looking for input on the various options for this.

A permanent mod/fix for the ring problem. Possibly flat spring or springy plastic insert. Again, need to consult a machinist or get input from other flashaholics.

Thanks for reading - I welcome your comments! :)

Last edited:

Berneck1

Enlightened
That's why I moved away from the v11r. That control ring is awful! I like the SRT3, but put that on the shelf also, as it's WAY too large of a CR123/AA light. I now use the Eagletac D25a. It doesn't have the flexibility of the other lights, but it's a heck of a lot better in my pocket. Plus, I just need a few useful levels of light, which the D25a has. Fine tuning it with a control ring isn't much better...

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Amelia

Enlightened
That's why I moved away from the v11r. That control ring is awful! I like the SRT3, but put that on the shelf also, as it's WAY too large of a CR123/AA light. I now use the Eagletac D25a. It doesn't have the flexibility of the other lights, but it's a heck of a lot better in my pocket. Plus, I just need a few useful levels of light, which the D25a has. Fine tuning it with a control ring isn't much better...

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

It sounds like we are looking for the same thing in our EDC light choices!
I also EDC a D25A - on my keyring. The D25A Ti Nichia 219... it's simply perfect. Too large for keychain EDC though... but I keychain it anyway because it's such a perfect light.
The ring UI has completely spoiled me - I'm going to stick with it, and make either the V11R or SRT3/5 work for me in the long run - or at least until one of these companies gets the mag-ring interface RIGHT in a reasonably small form factor.

gunga

Flashaholic
I take mine apart and re-grease with damping grease. Works well and can be changed easily once you open it the first time. Annoying system though.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amelia, I'd say go for it if you can get the body tubes machined. There is nothing like creating the perfect light to your satisfaction. I guess that is what makes it a hobby. I have a V11R and a SRT6. I guess I was one of those that didn't like all the colored modes. They are the only 2 magnetic variable control lights I have.

Interesting, I had an O-ring problem on my V11R with the AA adapter. Mine (brand new) was a stretched O-ring that squished to the point of not allowing electrical contact through the body. The spare worked OK but now I have no spare. I liked the light so much that I bought a second so as to get rid of the first that had too much cool (blue) in it. The 2nd CW was OK. I don't have to have a NW as they are harder to come by as long as the CW is acceptable without too much green or blue. It's funny how when you really like something you will go to great measures to make it completely right. I'm the same way.

I probably haven't used my V11R enough to cause a problem with grease friction. I just use it around home to keep from bothering my wife when I have to get ready early in the morning and don't want to disturb her. I use it mostly on the low end and like that light specifically for that reason. I'm not a fan of fixed moon mode lights as most are too dim and then the next step up is too bright. Having the adjust-ability is heaven. I have recently taken the AA adapter off and just use CR123A for now since I'm not going through batteries at all. I usually always take one of my 18650 lights for car camping and trips.

I have found it hard to find a single light that is a serve all purpose for me. Even with the V11R on the nightstand, I'd still want one of my 18650 lights for the more concentrated beam factor and the (hidden) strobe for if I need to investigate anything at night.

just ramblin' :).

recDNA

Flashaholic
I prefer the v11r. Wish I had the neutral version. I have a cool white and a v11rvn. I have also had trouble with the extenders. No idea why they don't work. In my case neither with nor without the oring.

I prefer the V11r. Ideal size for an EDC and so versatile as well as quality. On the the first one I had, the control ring would stick sometimes and was difficult to turn. No such problems with the one I got recently. I use it as my EDC but when I travel I have the AA extender ring in my carry-on in case I ever need to go over to AAs.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the V11R, my main issue is that mine stopped working after I dropped it once, I didn't like the clip-on clip so I replaced it with an aftermarket titanium one, I bought suitable screws and taps of eBay and did it myself. I sent mine back to SWM for repair only to have it returned four months later undelivered, so it's now on it's way there again.

V11RampSC52WTitaniumClips_zps5f3c2b2b.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
Sunwayman will say you modded the flashlight (clip or screw holes) and won't honor warranty.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the discussion!

My V10R AE's ring hasn't loosened substantially, and my V11R is still too new, but I have no doubt that you're all right and that it will. You said the Nitecore has a better ring implementation, if it's not grease, what is it? User-replaceable O-ring to provide the friction? Something else?

I almost hesitate to bring it up, but my biggest concern about the Nitecores have been the constant quality reports. Iknow people have problems with all kinds of lights, but the sheer volume of Nitecore quality stories is rivalled only by Zebralight stories, IMO. I've come close to pulling the trigger on the nitecore, but ended up not doing it. (I also hate how they decided they had to pack a zillion modes into the ring interface, but whatever, I'd spend most of my time just using the variable-intensity part).

Amelia

Enlightened
Thanks for the discussion!

My V10R AE's ring hasn't loosened substantially, and my V11R is still too new, but I have no doubt that you're all right and that it will. You said the Nitecore has a better ring implementation, if it's not grease, what is it? User-replaceable O-ring to provide the friction? Something else?

I almost hesitate to bring it up, but my biggest concern about the Nitecores have been the constant quality reports. Iknow people have problems with all kinds of lights, but the sheer volume of Nitecore quality stories is rivalled only by Zebralight stories, IMO. I've come close to pulling the trigger on the nitecore, but ended up not doing it. (I also hate how they decided they had to pack a zillion modes into the ring interface, but whatever, I'd spend most of my time just using the variable-intensity part).

The nightcore SRT magnetic ring uses a ball bearing with a spring behind it, or a kinked flat sring that fits into grooves. This is what fits into the "detents" that the ring "clicks into" for the various modes, and also provides pressure/resistance for the smooth continuously variable part of the ring travel (infinitely variable brightness portion). This is a FAR superior system to the Sunwayman grease dumbassery, as it should run practically forever without wearing out.

As for Nitecore's quality issues, the SRT3 and SRT5 are the only Nitecore lights I own, so my sample size is small... but based on this, I have to say that I can see ZERO evidence of any quality issues. Those 2 are definitely among the nicest and best made lights in my collection, the workmanship and finish are superb! Really nice lights, and they've survived rough EDC (so far...) without any problems of any kind.

Bulky and heavy though... built like a tank with all the associated weight and size! The SRT3 is freaking HUGE for a 1xAA light.

As for the "zillion modes" on the Nitecore ring interface, this is not really a problem you should worry about - Nitecore did it smart and put the disco settings on the outer edge of the ring, where you can ignore them. I don't even think about them or have to deal with them - I spend all my time in the variable output section or one click to the right, at the red emitter "on" setting.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Dont have an srt3 and can certainly see the attraction,so have a v11r mirage and love it. Reg the infinite control ring,if worked quickly low/high vis a versa i can feel the grease getting less viscous . If left for a second its back to the original feel...........

I only tried it from reading up,so unless(with my experience of around a year iirc) its been issue free,as i just gently adjust and go from there. So no issue at all.......

There is a nice write up on here if any issue does arise so tbh i am not bothered nor put off in anyway. The pros far out way the one negative of which i am not effected by YET .

Its a fantastic EDC light,very flexible and love the cool creamy white tint with no blues etc........spot on for me.
Extension fits perfect ,however i tend to use without for a more compact size,so efest IMR 16340 fed

u3

ven

Flashaholic
@Dave-love the clip work:cool: looks so much better and no doubt serves a better deep carry purpose,sorry to hear of all the issues,imo SWM should just send you a new v11r for all this trouble,it would certainly put me off buying a SWM again, a far lesser issue has stopped my buying another well known brand for life!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really a review - more of a comparison between the two lights and some subjective thoughts.

The Sunwayman V11R (NW Emitter) used to be my EDC - but it has been replaced recently by (first) the Nitecore SRT5, and (more recently) the SRT3's head on the SRT5's body. I am often conflicted by this change, and wonder if it was a step backwards in some ways.

Some pros/cons/comparisons:

The Sunwayman V11R is really the only light in its class - a small diameter, compact, magnetic ring light that has no detents in the magring and no "tactical disco" blinky-bling modes. It is also the only unmodded mag-ring light that is still available with a neutral white emitter. The fit and finish is the essence of class and quality, with deep rich anodizing that goes to the moon! I love almost everything about this light, except a few niggling details that simply drive me mad if I think about them too much.

My other main complaint about the V11R has to do with the pocket clip - it is a "snap on" type, which also unfortunately snaps OFF when you don't want it to. This can be fixed with a little clip modding by installing an aftermarket pocket clip with screw-on holes - but it's still a pain.

My SWM V11R came with an AA extender that REFUSED to work with the supplied O-Ring, I had to swap O-Rings with the tail section of the light to get it to work. Inexcusable QC and design - and it's a problem I've read about other users experiencing, so I know mine is not an isolated case.

The light output from the NW emitter version of the V11R is nothing short of perfect - it's the most "neutral" of all my neutral lights, and I own a lot of neutral emitter lights! The beam profile is very nice, and slightly "throwier" than the Nitecore SRT3 at the same output level. The tint is gorgeous - very similar to the Nichia 219, with only slightly lower levels of orang-ish-ness. Short of a true Nichia 219, the V11R Neutral White emitter is by far my favorite non-high-CRI emitter in all my collection.
I too have the NW V11R Sunwayman. Can't say I've had problems with the clip on mine, but I guess it depends how you carry it. I tend to carry it in my jeans pocket, with the torch in the pocket facing down and the clip on the outside.

I also agree the NW is quite a nice tint. Although the beam is just a little ringy on mine.

My biggest complaint is the runtime on 16340's or 14500's. And on AA it just lacks punch. I too have bought 2 x extenders to bore out. Currently I've bored them with a 16.5mm drill bit, but it's still slightly too tight for a 16650. Reckon a 17.5mm drill bit is needed. I'm using Sanyo protected 16650's. My main issue with the extenders is the colour match. My V11R is a lovely matt black anodising, while the extenders a more shiny looking anodising.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman will say you modded the flashlight (clip or screw holes) and won't honor warranty.

@Dave-love the clip work:cool: looks so much better and no doubt serves a better deep carry purpose,sorry to hear of all the issues,imo SWM should just send you a new v11r for all this trouble,it would certainly put me off buying a SWM again, a far lesser issue has stopped my buying another well known brand for life!

Sunwayman acknowledged receipt of my V11R and have reported that it was the control ring that had come loose, they have rectified the issue and confirmed that it is now working as it should and they have posted it back to me.

I'm looking forward to it's return.

recDNA

Flashaholic
If any police officers check in here could you tell me if it is legal in USA to use red-blue flasher as a beacon in a broken down car parked in breakdown lane?

Amelia

Enlightened
Thread uodate:

Since I wrote my original post, I've made some changes to both my V11R and SRT3.
I've found a local machinist who bored a pair of V11R AA extender tubes to 16mm. My V11R can now use 16650 cells, which it does. The V11R has once again taken its place asy main EDC light - I LOVE IT with 16650! Nice long runtime and I really like the size. I can also (by removing extender tube sections) use CR123 or AA in it as a backup. This light now ticks most of the checkboxes for what is, in my mind, the perfect EDC.

I also had the same machinist bore a pair of SRT3 extender tubes AND the SRT3 body to 18mm. I can now use 18650 in this light, and (again, by removing extender tubes) use smaller cell sizes. This light is now my idea of the perfect multi-fueller for energencies, capable of using any of the following cells:

AAA (with paper/aluminum foil "adapter")
Eneloop AA
Alkaleak AA
Energizer Primary Lithium AA
CR123

No 2xCR123 though - unless I swap the head to SRT5 head. I doubt I'd ever want/need 2xCR123 anyway though - it uses twice the batteries with no upside.

Good stuff! :)

Berneck1

Enlightened
The SRT3 really should have been an 18650 light given its size....

Sounds like you have some nice modified lights there.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Berneck1

Enlightened
If any police officers check in here could you tell me if it is legal in USA to use red-blue flasher as a beacon in a broken down car parked in breakdown lane?

It all comes down to your intent. I'm not a law officer, but it's no different than wearing a police uniform for a costume party. As long as you're not out performing police duties and leading people to believe you are a cop, you're fine. Using the light to signal to people that you are broken down is fine.

That said, I'm sure there are police officers that will harass you for having that.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums