Not too throwy 2-4AA?

bbb74

Enlightened
I'm looking for a light that has a large hot spot and isn't super throwy, for use when riding my bike or bush walking at night. Either 2AA or 4AA. I don't want flood only, nor a spotlight, just a fairly large hot spot.

I already have a bunch of lights including some zebralights and a fenix LD41 (original version) and TK41. The LD41 is good, I don't particularly like the look or size of it, but I do love fenix because they have been so reliable for me. I use the LD41 on my bike along with a quark turbo R5 (which is the wrong choice I know), but the quark is fading and too throwy for its intended use.

I don't mind the look of the Fenix E41 but is it throwier compared to a LD41? The other 4AA lights I looked at (D40A, EA41) etc seemed to be even throwier than the fenix E41.

Maths question: The LD41 is 10000cd and 520lumens, the E41 is 19000cd and 1000 lumens. Does this translate to them being roughly the same amount of cd at 500 lumens?

Has anybody got both and can compare the size of the hotspot for me?

Alternatively I could go 2AA as the LD22 is appealing, but it isn't as grunty. I have an old LD20 R4 and it is nice. But I have quite a few 2AA lights and I don't have a chunky 4AA ... yet :)

desmobob

Enlightened
Did you check out the Thrunite TN4A? It has a fairly floody beam and is available in neutral white. I have one and really like it. It's a bargain, as well. I think there is a review with beam shots here somewhere....

Take it easy,
Bob

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
XMLs in a ~1" dia. heads work well (and what I use) but will generally be 2AA - Olight S15, Foursevens QP2A-X, Eagletac D25A2 (XML) are a few. When you get into the 3/4 cell beer can lights, the manufacturers tend to utilize the extra real estate for larger reflectors, and that means throw.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
............When you get into the 3/4 cell beer can lights, the manufacturers tend to utilize the extra real estate for larger reflectors, and that means throw.
Well said.
IF the OP was willing to go 18650, the Fenix PD35 would be my go to handlebar mounted bike light.........around 1" diameter and XM-L2 and more gruntly than 2AA. It's less floody than PD32UE and more floody than PD32.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
There aren't any aa mt-g2's yet are there? Guess theyd have to be at least 8 cells.

Would get a massive spot & output, but this one is 1x26650. Pd40
2jdpgeo.jpg

www.taschenlampen-forum.de/fenix/39423-review-fenix-pd40.html

bbb74

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I'm only after AA models, as that's what I'm setup for.

Desmobob, the thrunite has 26000cd vs the 19000 of the fenix e41, so it is throwier I guess? But when you use it it seems floody? The Sunwayman D40A looks pretty good, but is 29000cd... It sounds like it has a deep reflector which would equate to more throw, but the OP reflector makes the beamshots look quite smooth.

I had a play outside last night and I think what I really want is nice sized hot spot, and the spill needs to not be too dim compared to the hotspot.

I was thinking if I like the LD41 which is 10000cd and 520 lumens, then the E41 which is 19000 and 1000 lumens is basically the same only brighter?

Last edited:

desmobob

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I'm only after AA models, as that's what I'm setup for.

Desmobob, the thrunite has 26000cd vs the 19000 of the fenix e41, so it is throwier I guess? But when you use it it seems floody?

It has plenty of throw, but it has a large, bright, useable spill. You can see beamshot comparisons in the link below....

Take a look at this excellent (like all of selfbuilt's reviews!) comparison of 4xAA lights... it should give you some ideas.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...IMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEOS-PROS-amp-CONS-and-more!

Take it easy,
Bob

bbb74

Enlightened
It has plenty of throw, but it has a large, bright, useable spill. You can see beamshot comparisons in the link below....

Take a look at this excellent (like all of selfbuilt's reviews!) comparison of 4xAA lights... it should give you some ideas.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...IMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEOS-PROS-amp-CONS-and-more!

Take it easy,
Bob

Yeah I've been looking at those :) To me it seems the D40A has a very bright centre to the hot spot which gradually fades out from there, whereas the E41 has a relatively constant hot spot?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I've been looking at those :) To me it seems the D40A has a very bright centre to the hot spot which gradually fades out from there, whereas the E41 has a relatively constant hot spot?

I have the D40A (neutral white), and really like it. You're right that the hot spot is not sharp, but that's probably intentional due to the orange peel reflector. Still, it throws very well, because it's so bright. Also, a 4xAA head is much larger than a 2xAA head, so you'll get much better throw because of it.