Do you like to buy or build flashlights ?

do you buy or build your lights?

• Total voters

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
I wish I would have started building rather than buying premade lights, we're sorta limited on the hosts unless buying brand built lights and hacking them. So the poll here is make or buy.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a time when I was into building the lights........mostly designing the driver circuits. But with a lack of tooling and machining ability, it is too hard without an easy host to work with. I am real picky with lights but have found that there are so many options and brands these days that through trial and error (buying and selling), I end up with what I like. Mass production gets the costs way down.

I remember a guy from the Streamlight booth at Shot Show in 2012 said to me: "man there are too many flashlight manufacturers these days.".........just think of how many models have been introduced since then.

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like collecting small, powerful lights. My favorite is the E-series.
I also like modifying and building lights as well. I've built 6P-style lights, but the body only. Have not yet ventured into the world of cutting internal threads.
My favorite mod is making the old-style E-series invan head into a triple LED.

56FordGuy

Newly Enlightened
I like collecting some lights, so buying is certainly a part of that. I've got a lathe though, and the thought has crossed my mind that perhaps I should try building a couple. I'm not as interested in the electrical circuitry, but I would like to try and make my own body that I could put a common drop in into. It sounds like a fun project.

jjf427

Newly Enlightened
For me, buying is my only option. I never have been able to solder worth a darn and machining is waaaaay beyond me.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like most people here, my builds are dependent on the hosts that other people can machine and driver boards that other people can produce. Between 2007-2011, I was building a lot. We had CPF members such as LEDzeppelin who could machine LED heatsinks for Fivemega and Surefire M6 hosts for builds that were FAR beyond any LED light that you could purchase, even from the chinese manufacturers. IIRC, the Sandwich Shoppe were the first to offer quad Cree XR-E heatsinks for Maglite mods made by Modamag. These were my first successful builds. Cmacclel made some incredible Maglite mods back in the day, but had to stop after Maglite threatened to sue him.

These days, there is not a lot of point in building for most people, when you can buy incredibly powerful LED lights off the shelf for a third of the price. I would still consider building today, but only if I can find the right hosts.

aleksfoxtrot

Newly Enlightened
I wish I knew how to build lights. Being on here will probably help I'm sure. I'm new here. Really just signed on to ask a question. But then found all kinds of information. I might try out a build one day in the future. So far I've just been paying a tin of money for overpriced surefire lights. Lol. Hey quality is expensive right...? That's what I keep telling myself though.

ven

Flashaholic
Would like to,but time and tbh i am not too interested in building,rather time using and that is not enough:(

I am a big admirer of builders though,some great work and must be a fantastic feeling of achievement:D

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lack the ability, the time, the funds, and the desire to build my own.

If I did build my own, it would have to be from scratch...i.e., a solid piece of metal. I don't really see the point in doing things halfway. And taking that approach (given that I have no access to tools beyond screwdrivers and wrenches) would be extraordinarily expensive. Even if I had the money (which I don't) I still don't see the point when there are so many stock/modded/custom options out there already. It seems highly unlikely I would be able to improve on what already exists.

reny0519

Newly Enlightened
If only I knew how to build flashlights I would definitely have went that route. Currently I'm looking for the flashlight. Maybe I'm just too picky
sigh.gif

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Building a complete flashlight from scratch is beyond my capability. I don't own a lathe so have no capability to cut threads.

However, I do like buying flashlights and then extensively modding them. Often, I'll remove all of the internals and replace them. Sometimes, my mods involve extensive structural changes to the head and body of the lights too.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only I knew how to build flashlights I would definitely have went that route. Currently I'm looking for the flashlight. Maybe I'm just too picky
sigh.gif

I look at it a different way. I like variety...so even if I could make my "perfect" light, I would still not want to get rid of all the others. Given that I have a number of lights that are very close to ideal, I'm happy enough even without a single light that I can identity as perfect.