Want new flashlight to replace P12: A bit smaller but with similar characteristics.

radu191289

Newly Enlightened
Hey! I currently have a Nitecore P12 http://www.nitecore.com/productdetail.aspx?id=96#.VSlGM_msXII
I am looking for a new flashlight to replace this one because it's just a bit over the perfect dimension, everything else is perfect: materials, grip, power, battery life, built quality, button config, just that is a bit beyond physical
limit.
Ideal flashlight:
-Under 120mm (4.7in) ... nitecore p12 is 139mm (5.47in)
-Above 900 lumens, running on 18650
-Has quick access to strobe or remembers it. (so I can simply activate the strobe by pressing a button directly without holding or cycling)
-Optional: has bezel.

Obviously I keep it in my pocket for self-defense.
PS: not sure if you people tried it, but a high-lumen strobe at night puts an attacking dog on the run, can't really explain it why, first thing that came to my mind is that it confused me with a car...

chuckhov

Enlightened
I like a lot about the P12 (I don't have one), but I too think that it's too long.

I've been thinking about the Olight S30R - It uses a different head size than their smaller S10/S15/S20 does, and so it uses a different lens.

Just from what I have read thus far the beam is cool-white, not like the sickly pea-green of the smaller ones. - I have the latest version of the S-15, and nothing has been done to fix the tint at all.

The S-30 stands a good chance of being my next light, even thought I am somewhat disappointed in Olight right now, wanting to love my S-15 but just can't:-(

The Thrunite 2c V2 is something else that I am considering.

Thanks,
-Chuck

Last edited:

cp2315

Enlightened
If there is one, I will be all over it. I am really liking the simple but reliable UI of P12, it's brightness and throw.
But TN12 is not any shorter than P12.
I have nitecore EC20. It is a little shorter, and probably slimmer. But it has a different UI and only single side switch. No momentary mode as in P12.
If you really want a short light, check out the newest nitecore MH20.

cp2315

Enlightened
One light came to my mind. Have you checked out olight m20sx javelot?
It is not a tube light. It is longer than 12cm. But it does have momentary mode and direct access to strobe. It has bezel. Throw is good with dedomed XML2 (35kcd). The tint on my sample is the best dedomed tint I have seen.

radiopej

Enlightened
I was thinking the Olight M18, but that only puts out around 500-550 lumens. Aside from that it would work great for your requirements. Perhaps a Vinh version with a current bump may get you there.

radu191289

Newly Enlightened
I went for the M18 Striker. I needed a secondary flashlight and this one had the best performance that fit the dimensions I wanted.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
I went for the M18 Striker. I needed a secondary flashlight and this one had the best performance that fit the dimensions I wanted.

I was reading through the thread and was about to suggest the M18 striker(800lm). The new M1X is good but the M18S is so slim, light, perfect UI and nice strike bezel. I have the newest P12 and love it, but compared to the M18 it's a beast.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Acebeam ec32 is a little bit skinnier with very similar ui to p12. Even has strobe memory

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MH20. Its half the length and is just a better light. Superior heat sinking thermally regulated with far better mode spacing. Best Nitecore I have yet to own.

D6859

Enlightened
Are you interested in swapping lights or selling the P12? I have Thrunite TN12 and I've considered ordering P12 but I missed the offer and now it's too expensive for me to buy. The part "quick acces to strobe" might not apply since you have to hold the mode button ~1s until the strobe comes out.

It seems dogs get distracted by bright lights. I was walking past a really loud barking dog and it seemed he might jump over the fence and attack me. I flashed my light quickly with steady beam towards him an he shut up.