Focus Led Flashlight Brands

reny0519

Newly Enlightened
Hey, guys! I'm new to the forum. I've been reading and surfing through this site for so long I figured I might as well become a member lol

Anyways, I know you guys won't like my taste in flashlights as the title suggests, but I favor flashlights that have the ability to focus. To each their own, right? I have a pretty simple question. Any input is appreciated. I've been searching for focus flashlights for quite some time now and all I see are crappy Chinese flashlights. I'm no expert or flashlight addict, but I would like to make a decent purchase that meets my requirements. So far I have came across Led Lenser and Coast Flashlights. I understand there isn't a strong following for these companies, but are there any other companies/brands that I'm overlooking?? Thank you in advance!! Also, if there has already been a post about this, please direct me to that page.

Amelia

Enlightened
The problem with focusable lights, and probably the reason they're not more popular/available, is that it's a tradeoff that's not typically worth it. You are exchanging a mechanically simple, finely optically tuned, easy to waterproof design for something that's more mechanically complex (and typically more unreliable), poorly tuned as an optical "compromise", and more difficult to waterproof.

I also would like to see more "quality" focusable lights, but until we have the technology for fully sealed (motorized? magnetic?) reflector movement and "smart" reflectors that can change their shape/curvature, I'm afraid that the only companies that will be offering lights into this market will be selling lower-end "gimmick" lights people buy at Home Depot for $14.95 and break a few weeks later.

Last edited:

reny0519

Newly Enlightened
So would you suggest any small pocket size flashlights that have decent flood and throw? Preferably at least 300 lumens?

ven

Flashaholic
Hey there,there is the Jax z1 which is 26650 fed or 18650 with spacer tube.

Then the cheap sipik/ultra etc or similar clones(cheap as chips but not bad value,just dont expect best build quality for the few $)

I am liking my t7.2,imo lenser love or hate has a good zoomable/focus system and out of the lensers i have,they have not let me down

Away from "zoomy" lights,there are lots of options with fixed reflectors that offer a good balance of throw/spill. These have benefits of better water resistant ratings,less susceptible to any ingress........... Dont get me wrong,i find zoomy lights for certain applications great,handy to have in one light,but they never offer the best of either throw or flood compared to fixed.

Depends on what fuel you want to run,be it AAA ,AA or 18650/26650 lithium/IMR etc of which the latter mentioned req a little reading up on and dedicated chargers. The pros imo far out way the negs,longer run times,higher outputs and more compact ratio of power/size.

Amelia

Enlightened
So would you suggest any small pocket size flashlights that have decent flood and throw? Preferably at least 300 lumens?

For my purposes, I shopped and shopped, and finally settled on the EagleTac S200C2. It's BARELY pocketable, if you have large pockets. However, it has really good throw (around 300-350 yards with useable light) and a decent spill pattern too. Being available with a Neutral White emitter, running on 1x18650 or 2xCR123. and having multiple output levels are nice bonuses too! :)

At around $75, it's definitely toward the more expensive end of small lights, but mine has definitely been worth it... really good compromise of flood/throw, good beam, and somewhat reasonable size/weight. I highly recommend it.

As a "for what it's worth", the S200C2 is also the same light Vihn chose to base his modded "baby throw king" off from. I thought of going that route, but the unmodded stock light has met my expectations in every realistic way, so I don't feel the need for the Vihn version.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Reny,check some Fenix range of lights out,or 47s,zebralight,armytek,nitecore ,olight...........lots out there,have a look in the review section.

What budget,what fuel? what actual uses,just general edc use or more?

Will help suggestions along the line:)

ven

Flashaholic
Right now i will throw the fenix pd35 or 2014 edition version in the mix,single 18650 fed,nice mode spacing,momentary rear clicky............nice size too with clip.

Around £40-£50 or depending on where you are around $60 give/take and a great light.

Dont want to spend as much???? Check some convoy lights out,different driver/mode and led tint options for around $20-$30...........solid,reliable but cheap to buy=excellent value

4 cheap but well made lights that offer good bang for buck

Roche f8/convoy m2/convoy s8/eagle eye x2

Convoy s2 and s2+ are popular choice for a more compact 18650 light,again with various tint options:thumbsup: