Soon to be Tri-V owner! Request for tips and advice!

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi y'all!

Am soon to be a new owner of a Tri-V =) the original version.

After y'all have used and EDC'ed the Tri-V for a while - any tips on usage, levels+programming?

Also, am planning to have a leather belt holster made for it. Was thinking of having it "tip up" - and hopefully somehow incorporating one of the silicone caps into the design. Any suggestions on holster configuration or direction based on your guys' use? (I like the AOTH holesters but they look a tad big, and anyway I heard Mathew isn't making holsters anymore?).

Thanks y'all!

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
(I like the AOTH holesters but they look a tad big, and anyway I heard Mathew isn't making holsters anymore?).

Yeah, apparently he decided several years ago he didn't feel like making them anymore...

I've been considering making leather holsters...at least for the 007...

lefteye219

Enlightened
I had a holster from AOTH but it was indeed big. It was beautiful but not something I would carry for EDC. Mostly, i keep my Tri-V2 in my pocket or on the Droid carabiner and Chain.

Pocket carry is the best (if you have SWGG) else, keep it in pocket without any change. I was also worried about the Spot lens and flood emitter but I just got the silicon cap and now, I can carry it with ease.

I don't do much programming in it any more. I reset mine to stock that came with the light when Dave sent it. It is pretty useful I believe.

Also, if you can, grab the TiNY bead. it has saved me trouble of finding something to open the battery cap. It is very nice and a cool way to accessorize the light.

Also, I would suggest never carry it tip down. I normally carry mine tip up. I also make a point to not put anything in my right front pocket whenever I carry my light.

be sure to cherish and use such a beautiful piece of light. It is sturdy and quite useful. One of those things which we would never sell

hombreluhrs

Enlightened
Mcmc ...congrats on your Tri-V :party:. I'd love to be able own one someday.

Yeah, apparently he decided several years ago he didn't feel like making them anymore...

I've been considering making leather holsters...at least for the 007...

If you do start making some 007 holsters, I might be in for one. I'll keep an eye out for them :popcorn:

VVilliam

Newly Enlightened
I would highly suggest finding these 3 items: some sort of lanyard(easy to find), a small opening bead(a bit more difficult to come across), and a lens cap(requires dedication).
Right now I'm using an Atwood Lifeline lanyard with the delrin beads. It's the best lanyard I've come across and it won't scratch the light. I put a small split ring through the lanyard hole in the light. I attach the lanyard to the split ring, and the bead also goes on the split ring. You will probably have to cut a portion of the split ring off so that it is just one wire thick on one side so that it can move freely.
Also, the programming is kind of intimidating at first, but keep at it! It's half the fun of the tri-v. There are so many possibilities. Here is how I currently have mine set up:

Cool Fall Spy Tri-v1 (modded to v2 emitters) Settings

Configuration 1 "IMR rechargeable battery EDC" (Note that this setup has high power levels and will only work properly with IMR batteries.) :
Knob Position:
Flood
Reflector
Aspheric
Power in mA
P0

P1
x

P2
x

P3
x

P4
x
x

P5

x
x
P6

x

Configuration 2 "Primary battery EDC" :
Knob Position:
Flood
Reflector
Aspheric
Power in mA
P0

P1
x

P2
x

P3
x

P4
x
x

P5

x
x
P6

x

Configuration 3 "Night vision" (for use with a transparent red lens cap over the flood and aspheric emitters) :
(This unusual setup is useful because it allows quick and reliable access to both low red light and low white light. Turn to P1 for low red. Flick the switch all the way to P6 for low white, quickly enough that it doesn't activate any of the high levels in between.)
Knob Position:
Flood (red)
Reflector
Aspheric (red)
Power in mA
P0

P1
x

P2
x

x
P3

x
P4

x

P5

x

P6

x

Configuration 4 "Flood from low to high" (Very useful for photography, or as a tent lantern at night.) :
Knob Position:
Flood
Reflector
Aspheric
Power in mA
P0

P1
x

P2
x

P3
x

P4
x

P5
x

P6
x

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey those are ingenius! I like that a lot.

1. When you say upgraded to v2 emitters, did you mean tint-wise only? Or did you actually replace the MC-E with an XP-G2?
2. For the primary (conf. 2), how come the 5mA first level rather than 2.5mA?

Thanks!!

VVilliam

Newly Enlightened
1. The actual emitters were changed.
2. Only because I haven't changed it yet:) Same thing with the difference between the P5's. It's on the to-do list. 2.5mA is the perfect moonlight level for me. You can still walk through the house at night without bumping into things but it won't disturb others.

3. You're welcome! Enjoy the coolest light ever made.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome. Thanks for those innovative ideas.

What emitters did you upgrade to, and how much did it run? Was it one of the modders here?

VVilliam

Newly Enlightened
I'm drawing a blank, sorry:faint:. They are exactly the same emitters as the v2 though. It was one of the modders here, yes. Again, I don't remember who it was. I purchased the light pre-modded.
To respond to your original post again, I carry it in my right front pants pocket or a jacket pocket. Always by itself, but never in a sheath. The black lanyard usually sticks out of my pocket, so I can use that to extract the light. I like having instant access. If I'm traveling or hiking I'll put it in a "Lowepro vail 10" pouch along with an extra set of batteries and a small ziplock to put the light in if I'm expecting rain.