Sugar on Snow

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
We are planning on doing a Sugar on Snow event at our store. The last one we went to was at Lyman Orchard in Connecticut about 10 years ago. So we are lacking in some detail. Anyone been to one recently? Anyone ever ORGANIZE one? Any suggestions welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
We are looking at doing in the begining of March in conjunction with John Beargrease Sled dog race.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to them often as a kid. Snow and syrup are of course the main ingredients as well as a real sugar house to further boil the syrup (Maybe you could do it in a kettle). But what I remember as good accesories were plain, unsweetened donuts and pickles. When you thought you could not eat anymore sugar on snow, you could then eat a pickle to cut the taste and then you could eat more sugar on snow. I would like to do it again myself, it's been 20 years now.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
ChrisM said:
am I the only one who has no idea what it is you're talking about?!?!?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, I have no idea what this "sugar on snow" thing is either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Sugar and Snow
sugar05.jpg

Avix

Newly Enlightened
oooooook, and people think Potine and Recce Special's are wierd!

(Poutine: French Fries and Cheese Curds and brown gravy over the top, Recce Special: cheap blended scotch, peanut butter ice cream, orange crush in a beer mug, like a float)

roguesw

Enlightened
Man, i love Poutine, ate it almost everytime i visited a mall in toronto /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
thanks avix for bringing up that yummy memmory

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Hawaii didn't get it quite right the thickened maple syrup sits on top of the snow and is sort of like taffy not as a flavoring for the shaved ice. If you read B@rts article you'll get a better feeling for it.
I searched Google and found many in states other than VT...even MN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Avix

Newly Enlightened
your very welcome Rougesw. there even serving it in Burger Kings (like Mcdonalds)up there now.

my brother in law recently moved from CA to Newfoundland. he's discovered it in a big way "Newfoundland Soul Food" as he describes it. I've gotten a couple of people hooked on it.. now if only cheese curds would come down in price a bit ($5.75 a pound!

Avix

Newly Enlightened
North Idaho... hmmm, that might just do it, get all the potine heads together and place an order...

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sugar on snow is the ultimate! We used to eat Donuts with them, but I've never heard of eating pickles with it.

On a side not, Poutine is the best food in the world! It's very popular where I live (10 miles from the Canadian border).

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to town sugar on snow festival every year as a kid. All you could eat for a set price. I used to gorge myself until my stomach was stuffed with that sickly sweet feeling and then eat pickles to "cleanse the palette" and then go back for another round. They didn't make any money off of me. I used to love dipping donuts in maple syrup as well. The donuts are not the sweet ones you are thinking of but more like a bread taste.

I'll have to pick up some syrup when I go back to Vermont this spring. I like grade A medium or dark as I think it has a better flavor then fancy. Some people like grade B but I think it starts to get a little bit skanky at that grade.

grades of maple syrup

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I had to look it up; rather clever how you're essentially making your own candy confection using only syrup and ice, it does sound pretty good.

Recce Special: cheap blended scotch, peanut butter ice cream, orange crush in a beer mug, like a float)

This one, not so much. Is the goal to keep it down? :barf: