Satisfied with Victor U2 EX by Monster Flashlight

WALLtech

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF,

Just wanted to pipe in on the MF Tactical Lights.

I've read a lot of hate about these lights over the past week (after I made the order for the new Victor U2 EX Single-Mode)...

Initial quality and feel of the light itself seems high. The nylon sheath seems decently stitched together. The momentary switch feels just right. It's a bit heavy but that doesn't bother me and it fits in my hand nicely. It has a lanyard similar to one you would find on a point and shoot camera. I would not trust this to hold the light at all (we'll see if I find out this summer). It comes with a nice bare aluminum bezel which looks pretty cool but gives the flood a bit of triangular shape that I'm not a huge fan of. I ordered the optional plain black bezel for $3USD and will try that out soon enough.

The charger and batteries that it came with really bother me. The branding seems juvenile... the resolution of the logo sent to to packaging company was way too low and it just gives it a cheap feel - as it has so eloquently been stated in previous threads - it (the packaging and charger) feel like re-branded off-shore garbage... I definitely got duped on the accessory purchases... This logo is found on the light itself and 18650 batteries too, though it looks somewhat better on the light itself. It may seem weird that it bothers me but I'm sure I'm not alone on that. They should definitely switch to the standard fonts to make it feel 'professional'...

Most importantly, the light feels nice and gives off a ton of light. It's rated at 1100 lumens and I'm going to confirm that as best I can with a light meter in the next few weeks (it's on the way).

This is a good starter light for me and I'm anxious to see how it holds up over a few cottage weekends. At the end of the day, for the price, I won't be too disappointed if it breaks down (or surprised). I'll keep this thread updated as the season progresses.

Thanks,

-Wall

chartwell99

Newly Enlightened
I, too, have been a skeptic about these lights, especially the "Made in New Jersey" claim. That said, I gave in and bought an Echo-1 1200 lumen single mode light that is blazingly bright with a wide clean beam, and a quality feel in the hand that rivals (or betters) Fenix and Surefire. My guess is that the components of the light other than the Cree emitter were made in China and assembled in New Jersey. No where on the light, instruction sheet or box, however, is the legend "Made in USA" which is suspicious and disappointing but the light is the real deal, and I am actually very pleased with my purchase.