Dead EC20 :(

Mukiwa19

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Nitecore EC20 off of CL and when I got it it was working fine but when I grabbed it out of my GHB the other night it was dead... I replaced the 123's with a fresh 18650 thinking that it had gotten turned on in my bag and drained the battery.. It's pretty frustrating as i have only used it twice and it was new in box when I got it.. Any ideas?

ven

Flashaholic
1st i would check all threads,make sure clean,make sure head and tail cap tight and re-check again(sometimes can come loose at body/head end or not seat fully). With just having a side power/mode,dont think there s much more to do other than return it.

Presume V checked on 18650 cell,have you others to try?

Contact nitecore if all fails,not worth voiding warranty by trying to open up.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found some of the nitecore lights can be picky about using 18650 cells due to the way some have physical reverse polarity protection. Happened with my SRT5 using 18650 initially and this could possibly be what's going on, not sure if the EC20 is designed that way or not but that's a possibility.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found some of the nitecore lights can be picky about using 18650 cells due to the way some have physical reverse polarity protection. Happened with my SRT5 using 18650 initially and this could possibly be what's going on, not sure if the EC20 is designed that way or not but that's a possibility.

That coincidences with what I am thinking.

Mukiwa19

Newly Enlightened
Thats so gay.. i just got my 18650s in the mail and they are flat tops. Ill try tomorrow with some 123's if i can find some around the house...

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats so gay.. i just got my 18650s in the mail and they are flat tops. Ill try tomorrow with some 123's if i can find some around the house...

If if you want to use your flat tops the black protector in the top portion of the light is removable. All you have to do is gently remove it with a pair of needle nose pliers and you can use your flat tops, just make sure to save the black plastic washer if you want to reinstall it and be sure to install the battery correctly or it will damage your light.

NCF8710

Newly Enlightened
I use flat top cells in my EC20 all the time. Sometimes the white washer surrounding the positive contact (I'm using Panasonic cells) is not deflected by the polarity protecting ridge in the head. I get these to work by running my fingernail around the center contact deflecting the white washer as I go. Reinstall the cell and it works reliably. I only have to do this once and they are good to go. I check the battery voltage periodically using the built in voltage indicating function as I am not using protected cells in this light.

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
You could also contact with their customer service for help.