Drop in bulb replacements

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
OK I'm new so maybe this is a stupid question but.....

I was at one of the banner sites yeasterday looking at these replacement bulbs thinkin hey I could upgrade my cheap flashlights to LED lights. Then I saw the price which I beleive was something like $40.

OK for that I could easily find a complete LED flashlight or two. It sounds so impracticle that I'm left wondering about it.

Will it make a normal flashlight that much better then a new $40 flashlight that the price can be justified or are they just selling an expensive gimick?

Is this something that would be worthwhile to do to some cheap coleman flashlights I have or is this ment for the finatic that wants a little extra (in light or battery life) out of his already expensive maglite or surefire?

Someone fill me in.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The time for the expensive replacement bulbs may have passed. There are many new factory produced LEDs, and Luxeon lights on the market, that are good quality, and make some of the $ 40 or more replacements redundent.

Some that come to mind are the inexpensive Dorcy lights (1 AAA, 1 AA, and 2 AA), Streamlights one watt Task Light, Pelican's M6 Luxeon, and others.

This field is evolving very rapidly.

RussH

Enlightened
I still like my Opalec Newbeam in a minimag, it is ideal for some of my major uses. The wide beam & reasonable run time are fine for hiking & around the campsite duties. It's expensive compared to some of the newest LED lights, however. I hope that means prices will come down on the newbeam & everled, tho. Remember that these are regulated & most of the inexpensive lights are not (but they may not need to be...) -RussH

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
Well I still intend to get a headlamp soon so as far as my flashlights go if I even take them it sounds like the best use would be a high focus beam. (for seeing that just made that noise in the woods) so what would you guys recomend I put on my wish list for a drop in bulb, or if the price is the same, a whole new flashlight.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
GQ, you are indeed in trouble.

lock up your wallet fast!!!

if you havent already, check out www.flashlightreviews.com. great info.

my suggestions: if you want a drop-in that provides throw, you will need a high dome luxeon, and use either the nx05 or the fraen low profile (lp) optic. a badboy or madmax with a high dome will throw better than a low dome.

realize that even a low dome luxeon badboy/madmax will BLOW AWAY a stock minimag. if you havent seen one in action, you are really in for a treat.

if you want a stock off-the-shelf high power led light that throws well, consider the streamlight TL-2 led (it does use 123 bats, however) about $60 or the streamlight 3AA luxeon task light at about $35.

Elektrolumens makes some amazing luxeon based lights that you should check out. he uses either fraen or special 30mm optics, and i hear they throw VERY well. price starts at approx $50. quality is top-notch.

Bob

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
When you refer to a $40 drop-in I assume you are talking about the EverLED. I got a white one when they first came out and I didn't care for the EverLED. I felt it was a waste of money.
The NewBeam is a different story. The NewBeam gives you 8-10 hours of regulated light. IMHO NewBeams are worth the money. They are good for camping, glovebox, emergency kits, childrens lights, etc. You can buy them at PocketLights for $20.95 http://www.pocketlights.com/opalec.asp
You can read about them at Quickbeams site
http://flashlightreviews1.home.att.net/reviews/opalec_newbeam.htm
The Sandwiches from The Sandwich Shoppe are 1 watt Luxeons. There are different versions of these so you might want to read more about them before you buy, but they are all high quality. Quickbeam also has a review of them.
Some good inexpensive lights are:
Princeton Tec Tec 40
Streamlight 4AA 7LED
CMG Infinity Ultra or CMG Infinity Ultra-G
Be sure to check Quickbeams site, he has a lot of information.

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
OK I'm getting a crash course on lights here and I'm sure my education is far from complete so help me review.

The headlamp I get while having two modes (like the Petzl Myo's) will likely not have an exceptional 'throw' so if I get a flash light to go with it I want one to contrast with my headlamp.

Now it sounds like in general the LED's don't have alot of throw, but does this still hold true for the luxeon stars or would I want like a krypton bulb for this?

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're after pure throw, an LED has a hard time beating an incandescent. LED lights usually have wider beams. The BB500 may beat the stock Minimag but that's only because the stock Minimag is so pathetic to begin with. It will come nowhere near a $32 Pelican PM6. To get that kind of throw from a factory-made LED light, you need to go up to something like a Surefire L5, which is in the $150 range.

I think a short range LED headlamp and a long-throw xenon handheld light is a good, cost-effective combination. For the handheld light I'd look at the Streamlight Scorpion, TL-2, or TL-3, since these conveniently have spare bulbs inside the light.

Very bright LED's at this stage of technology are still mostly for connoisseurs. Their advantages over xenon are 1) they don't burn out if set up correctly; and 2) they don't change color as the battery runs down, which means you can keep getting dim but useful light from them for a very long period when the battery is practically flat. However, they cost a lot more, and need good heat sinking (they are about as efficient as good incandescents, but they conduct their waste heat into the flashlight body, while incandescents shoot the waste heat out the front as infrared).

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
Interesting

Perhaps I should be looking for something that has good throw stock but that I could upgrade latter with a new lens, reflector and or plug in mod?