Nightwalker. Tools of the trade

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I posted this in another forum however it's heavily flashlight/headlamp related so maybe it will be of value on CPF.

About 3 times (sometimes more) a week I do a night hike. This is a great conditioning tool plus opportunity to keep this skill sharp. Walking in the dark is a skill? Well maybe. It's not rocket science but night hikes offer a chance for people to get a bit out of their comfort zone. This way should yea have to do a night hike it's old hat so to speak.

Nigh hike. GO!

I am going up and down hills. This combined with darkness will slow me down to around 2.5 miles per hour. I could go faster but that would increase the risk of a slip, trip and fall aka mechanical injury. Again we are just talking about walking in the dark so not looking to sound overly dramatic but done my share of falling down.

On top of some cliffs looking down at traffic. Sat there for 10 minutes just watching. It was surprisingly relaxing.

A good opportunity to show the tools of the trade.

1. Backpack which held my jacket and kit.
2. Poncho. Never know if it's going to rain. Stopped trusting the forecast years ago.
3. Knife.
4. Gun in case of Big Foot attack. Did you hear a knock? I heard knock!
5. Headlamp.
6. Flashlight using same battery type as headlamp.
7. PSK.
8. Water bottle.
9. TP.
10. Hiking poles to prevent slips. Foreshadowing.....
11. Cell phone battery charger which is always in that pack. Not seen in pic.

Might seem like a bunch of stuff for a fast 5-6 mile loop but the little extra weight adds a bit more exercise to the mix. Why the same battery type in the headlamp and flashlight if my headlamps has the potential to run at 50 lumens regulated for 36 hours? I use these things often so don't change or charge the batteries whichever is applicable for each outing. I am good at guessing when it should be done but not perfect. Also for the most part the flashlight is really a battery holder for the headlamp. There is another small flashlight using the same battery type (by chance) with extra cell in the PSK. During winter I was forced to use this because of the cold. One never knows.

I like to hike with a headlamp which has a mix of throw and flood. Around camp pure flood is good but finding trail markers often needs some throw. I tend to use the higher modes for locating trail marker or to chart the best course if bushwhacking. Highest settings or burst/turbo/whatever is to intimated squatch.

The flood part of the mixture helps with seeing what's at my feet.

Headlamp view at 50 lumens.

Camera flash.

I don't want to slip on rock slime so tend to hike using the medium settings. Not too long ago 20ish lumens was often the medium setting for headlamps. Now it's higher. Lots of tree cover in New England so often is very dark.

Mud is another problem. Sometimes it's easy to see.

Other times harder. I have never slipped in wet leaves or mud which was seen. It's always the hidden stuff. Tree roots are also a PITA, same goes for ice.

Hiking poles reduce stress on your joints and often allows for 3 points of contact with the ground. A tripod is amazingly stable, bipedal humans less so. This rock flaked off under my food when going down a steeper part of the trail. Totally unexpected however the poles keep my uncoordinated backside off the ground. Illuminated on the medium setting.

So what do we have here? Look near the center a bit off to the left.

This is always the best part of night hikes. The critters. It's a deer but have run into just about everything night hiking one time or another. Lets take a closer look.

I am looking a bit scruffy from the weekend.

Some of the first good signs of Spring. It has been a long time coming.

Swampy areas are also fun but don't have time to mess around too much.

I can't see it in this pic but there is an ok sized trout swimming around.

This is the same spot I crossed the river yesterday. I have lower boots tonight. Crossing water at night can be a bit dicey. Again it's not like jumping through a ring of fire with a unicycle but falling into moving water is never a good thing.

Back at the parking lot.

Another pro to night hikes is the physical aspect occurring a few hours before sleep. It almost feels like the opposite of eating bad foods late at night. Before going on this night hike around 1/2 hour after eating my blood sugar was 118 mg/dl. I got back in a little over two hours and it plunged to 85 mg/dl.

Blood pressure is also impacted in a healthy way.

I am no MD but it seems to me that lower blood sugars and pressure (health low on both counts) offer a tremendous physical advantage. You basically feel great before going to bed. You also wake up feeling like a champ. It's the diametrical opposite of the toxic stuff we do in our everyday lives. Heck I have been one of the worst offenders of that.

Thanks for looking.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoyed that read. It is also the longest explanation of a User Name I have seen.

I was excited to see you using poles. I am a HUGE believer in walking sticks. I have a disabled friend who makes them locally. We don't have hills, mostly swamp or muddy areas. I find a walking stick a must have tool! If I had to choose between a good walking stick or a flashlight, I would take the stick.

I mostly carry my 4.5 foot solid Louisiana oak stick. It is flame hardened and seal with a wood oil. I can't remember which oil he used.

When I walk in the neighborhood I always bring my walking stick. Day or night. Not so much for stability, but security. And I don't mean people. Rouge or agressive dogs, black bear, and snakes and alligators. All of which I have encountered in my daily walk. Just because the sidewalks are paved don't let that give you a false sense of security.

My wife walks the baby in a stroller. Have you ever had a dog run up to you will walking?? Well with a baby in a stroller a dog can be a huge concern. But with a walking stick or pole, you have the upper hand.

Do you walk alone?? What about communications. I see you mention a cell phone, ever thought about other options?? Just curious.

Woods Walker

I enjoyed that read. It is also the longest explanation of a User Name I have seen.

I was excited to see you using poles. I am a HUGE believer in walking sticks. I have a disabled friend who makes them locally. We don't have hills, mostly swamp or muddy areas. I find a walking stick a must have tool! If I had to choose between a good walking stick or a flashlight, I would take the stick.

I mostly carry my 4.5 foot solid Louisiana oak stick. It is flame hardened and seal with a wood oil. I can't remember which oil he used.

When I walk in the neighborhood I always bring my walking stick. Day or night. Not so much for stability, but security. And I don't mean people. Rouge or agressive dogs, black bear, and snakes and alligators. All of which I have encountered in my daily walk. Just because the sidewalks are paved don't let that give you a false sense of security.

My wife walks the baby in a stroller. Have you ever had a dog run up to you will walking?? Well with a baby in a stroller a dog can be a huge concern. But with a walking stick or pole, you have the upper hand.

Do you walk alone?? What about communications. I see you mention a cell phone, ever thought about other options?? Just curious.

Dogs are the biggest problem during the day as people let them run free. 99% of the time they're a joy, 1% are problems. Problem dogs often have problem owners. So many hills two hiking poles work great for me. Extra speed as well. I have run into black bears and rattlers are more numerous in some areas than people know. I almost trampled this bundle of joy a few years back during a night hike to camp as I was running late.

The portable lighting advice on CPF has really made a difference in extending my working and travel time once the sun goes down. I pack my cell phone which locally will work however often it's out of service during many outings.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for yet another informative and fun hiking story.

Is the health monitor thingy medically necessary?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

If he got bit by that snake maybe! :eek:

For communications: I always carry a Yaesu FT60R, its a Ham Radio rig. I am usually in range of a repeater. However, I also have one set up at my Base Camp. At base campsite I set up a 2 meter (that is the frequency) portable vertical antenna. For my portable rig: These radios come with a lame Rubber Ducky antenna. I keep that on, but also carry a home made dipole antenna and a roll of fishing line & some hex nuts. That way I can tie the nut to line and throw it up in too a tree and raise my wire antenna. Giving me a MUCH improved range. The whole rig doesn't add much weight. I use a very thin coax (about as thick as the wire on your computer mouse), and I carry about 25 feet of it. It can have tons of other emergency uses. So can the fishing line.
The battery pack I have uses 6 eneloop AA's. I can remove them to use in my backup light too. As a added bonus, you can even use the battery pack to start a fire.

I know that was kinda long, but thought I would share that.

Woods Walker

Doctor's orders. I have diabetes and hypertension. Both well under control with exercise and diet, no meds. As of right now unless locked in the Hostess bakery surrounded by zombies for weeks I should be ok. Same goes for outings. No magic cures beyond hard exercise and good eating aka no processed foods, no refined sugar and proper understanding of how carbs are turned into blood sugars aka no bread, potato or pasta. Heck I think the Hypertension is cured. That said everyone should check their blood sugar and pressure every now and then. Too many people don't know there is a problem until something bad happens. Lower healthy numbers for everyone offers increases in physical potential IMHO.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I simply LOVE the TK20, glad to see you still have one too!! Tough little light it is.

Dogs are the biggest problem during the day as people let them run free. 99% of the time they're a joy, 1% are problems. Problem dogs often have problem owners. So many hills two hiking poles work great for me. Extra speed as well. I have run into black bears and rattlers are more numerous in some areas than people know. I almost trampled this bundle of joy a few years back during a night hike to camp as I was running late.

The portable lighting advice on CPF has really made a difference in extending my working and travel time once the sun goes down. I pack my cell phone which locally will work however often it's out of service during many outings.

Latest posts