single aaa mode sequences, L-M-H, M-H-L, M-L-H practical applications

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a newbie, here are my evolving opinions.

L-M-H
I have a Fenix E05 2014, the LED is and XP-E2, very blue, mode sequence is 8-25-85
I consider the UI excellent for non flashoholics, and have given away a couple to women.

L-M-H
I have a Thrunite Ti3 Titanium, the LED is XP-L4, very green and floody, modes are .5-12-162.
I consider the UI inconvenient because the .5 is so dim as to be practically useless in most situations, but I like the wide flood beam for very low light situations. Ive ordered a second one so I can pick the one with the smoother threads, or possibly less green color, and return the other. After using this light for a while, its on my keychain, Ive begun to appreciate the Olight i3s convenience of starting on 20 instead of .5

M-H-L
I have an Olight i3s, the LED is XP-G2, more yellow than the XP-E, the modes are 20-85-.5
I consider the UI excellent for beginning flashoholics, and have given away a couple to men

M-L-H
I just ordered a Maratac Copper Rev 3 that uses the XP-G2, the modes are 40-1.5-138
I think Im going to like this mode sequence :), Time will tell

Do you have a single aaa light I have not mentioned, what is the mode sequence and lumen specs, and how do you like it?:)

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I am a newbie, here are my evolving opinions.

L-M-H
I have a Fenix E05 2014, the LED is and XP-E2, very blue, mode sequence is 8-25-85
I consider the UI excellent for non flashoholics, and have given away a couple to women.

L-M-H
I have a Thrunite Ti3 Titanium, the LED is XP-L4, very green and floody, modes are .5-12-162.
I consider the UI inconvenient because the .5 is so dim as to be practically useless in most situations, but I like the wide flood beam for very low light situations. Ive ordered a second one so I can pick the one with the smoother threads, or possibly less green color, and return the other. After using this light for a while, its on my keychain, Ive begun to appreciate the Olight i3s convenience of starting on 20 instead of .5

M-H-L
I have an Olight i3s, the LED is XP-G2, more yellow than the XP-E, the modes are 20-85-.5
I consider the UI excellent for beginning flashoholics, and have given away a couple to men

M-L-H
I just ordered a Maratac Copper Rev 3 that uses the XP-G2, the modes are 40-1.5-138
I think Im going to like this mode sequence :), Time will tell

Do you have a single aaa light I have not mentioned, what is the mode sequence and lumen specs, and how do you like it?:)

To each their own. L-M-H has always been my preference.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
To each their own. L-M-H has always been my preference.

agreed, different setups for different situations.. can you share an example of the lumen values of your light? some lows are lower than others...

example I like Fenix E05 in 8-25-85, but I dont really like the Thrunite in .5-12-162, even though both are L-M-H, For me having .5 first is not very practical, so I prefer that Olight put the .5 last

Tesla

Enlightened
I have a Maratac stainless (1st version) that is M-L-H also. It's been extremely durable and that mode suits my needs best for my uses and the type of light. Preferences will be all over the map on mode sequencing, though. I'll admit I rarely use high.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Low - Medium - High. My preference most of the time and what I have accustomed of. Practical applications? Its really to each his own for me.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the replies. I think if those of you were to post your lumen values on your LMH that you like, it might help others understand why you like that sequence. For a Maratac with a 1.5 Lumen low, or an Olight with a .5, or a Thrunite with a .04 lumen low, it makes little sense to put that first, since it will only be used in extreme dark, and a light is often needed to light a shadowed area when there is more ambient light than the firefly .04, the moonlight .05, or the low light 1.5.

otoh, for a Fenix E05 2014 whose low is 8 lumens, I completely agree it makes sense to start on low. So, please edit or add to your post if you did not mention how many lumens you are happy to have as a first On position.. When I first got the Olight, I complained that Low was last. But after discovering I can hardly tell when the Thrunite is on, and tend to overtighten the head to find out, I realized that Olight got it right, to not make Low first, and I think Maratac got it even righter, by making Low the second position, instead of 3rd like Olight did. The Maratac way saves me from going through high to get to Low, but still gives me Medium first for most typical uses.

Also, If Im going to gift a light to a newbie, it will be a Fenix or an Olight, and not a Thrunite, because the first mode is useable even if they dont fiddle with the head to find the other modes most of the time

chuckhov

Enlightened
Quite simply, if you don't like L-M-H, you're wrong! :nana:

I actually have to agree, to a point.

I like my lights to go L-M-H, for two reasons... Don't want to be blinded in the middle of the night, and the Main Reason is...

It gives me something to look forward to. - I mean like: Starting in High, and then what do you do for an encore? - You just Shot Your Wad:-(

Thanks,
-Chuck

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the maratac rev2. lo- high. With a 10440 battery it is med - really really high :)
And the liteflux lf2xt. This little gem is what you want it to be, just program it to do whatever mode you want :)
The univex aaa with the high-med-lo is nice when i dont want to skip modes to get to high mode.

LeBossu

Newly Enlightened
L-M-H is quite fine with me too.
I have a Thrunite Ti3, which I deliberately chose over the i3s because of this sequence. I use it in the middle of the night and didn't want to be blinded by a Medium or even worst, a High mode that would come on first.
10-ish lumens don't seem much, but when you just woke up in a dark room, this can look like a lot of light. :)

NCF8710

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the L-M-H sequence for this type of light. I have an iTP A3 EOS on my car key ring and the low setting is just right for finding my way in a darkened garage or illuminating the keyhole in the dark. I seldom use the brighter settings.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I like L-M-H, because it encourages the user to try lower modes first and if those modes turn out to be enough, they're automatically conserving power and increasing runtime. I've noticed that M-L-H lights with a near-dead cell will start in medium, then die on the spot without ever giving you a chance to try low, whereas an L-M-H light might run for a little longer before it goes out.

That said, my belt and keychain EDCs are Fenix LD02s, because I like the clicky switch and the fact that I can use an LD01 clip in reverse to attach it to my hat as an impromptu headlamp. I tolerate the M-L-H sequence because of those points. I actually like the mode levels (25-8-100), I just wish they were in L-M-H order.

If the Fenix E05 2014 head (L-M-H, 8-25-85) would work on an LD02 body, I would long since have legoed my preferred setup. Unfortunately, it only works the other way with an LD02 head on an E05 2014 body. I'm seriously considering buying an E05 2014 to see if I can mod it (or an LD02) by grinding down a head or a body to make them compatible.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I think I agree with everything you say here. One thing that annoys me is a low that is too low. 99.9% of the time I am bypassing low on my Ti3 to get to medium. I give the Olight i3s as gifts, because there are a lot of people who find the twist-to-cycle concept a bit cumbersome. Starting at medium is perfect for most people's needs.

That said, I would have preferred the Ti3 to me more of a 10, 80, 162 lumen. Make the first level more useful....

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the liteflux lf2xt. This little gem is what you want it to be, just program it to do whatever mode you want
smile.gif
thanks, you're about to cost me money :)
L-M-H is quite fine with me too.
I have a Thrunite Ti3, ...
10-ish lumens don't seem much, but when you just woke up in a dark room, this can look like a lot of light.
smile.gif
I agree in the middle of the night I prefer my .04 lumen Thrunite in first mode, over my 20 lumen first mode in i3s, but I wish the Thrunite was not such a firefly and more of a moonlight, like the i3s
your Ti3 starts at 10 lumens? I like a lower low than that :), the .5 of the Olight i3s gets my vote, or the 1.5 of the Maratac
I prefer the L-M-H sequence for this type of light. I have an iTP A3 EOS on my car key ring and the low setting is just right for finding my way in a darkened garage or illuminating the keyhole in the dark. I seldom use the brighter settings.
Thanks. You're reporting that you like 1.5 lumen Low for your needs. I agree completely. Illuminati had that pattern too.
I think Low first makes sense if Low is more than 1 Lumen, and that Low second makes sense if its less than 1 lumen
for today, my opinion of a perfect 3 step with a Low below 1, would be 20-.5-85+
thanks for the conversation, I can see uses for both LMH and MLHsequences depending how low the low is.
I think I agree with everything you say here. One thing that annoys me is a low that is too low. 99.9% of the time I am bypassing low on my Ti3 to get to medium. I give the Olight i3s as gifts, because there are a lot of people who find the twist-to-cycle concept a bit cumbersome. Starting at medium is perfect for most people's needs.
Thanks, I agree with you too :)
I like L-M-H, because it encourages the user to try lower modes first…
If the Fenix E05 2014 head (L-M-H, 8-25-85) would work on an LD02 body, I would long since have legoed my preferred setup.
I agree, if the lowest low is 8 lumens, it totally makes sense to put it first. As far as clicky, you and I have jorn to thank, for tempting us with yet another option :)
you go first, let me know how you like the liteflux lf2xt, sounds awesome, especially since you already tolerate a longer light to have a clicky. Not sure of the weight difference.. Happy Shopping, to all of us, lol

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
LMH my preference. Regardless of battery. Hey some AAA lights are pretty bright, in particular if Vinh has massaged it and it's running on an IMR

I use my lights in industrial applications and Low is great for reading a stainless steel motor nameplate. Medium may be good for general use, and high is good for when you just need more light. If it was HML, then the M will not work nearly as well than going up (LMH).

The firefly (LL) mode I almost never use or need.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive never had a Vinh massage, how Low does he go? It would really help if you said how many lumens youre calling Low and LL, spell it out for me, I need specifics.

LeBossu

Newly Enlightened
I agree in the middle of the night I prefer my .04 lumen Thrunite in first mode, over my 20 lumen first mode in i3s, but I wish the Thrunite was not such a firefly and more of a moonlight, like the i3s
your Ti3 starts at 10 lumens? I like a lower low than that :), the .5 of the Olight i3s gets my vote, or the 1.5 of the Maratac
Before I had the Ti3, I just had to make do with ambient light or the absence of it, so this might explain why I am not bothered by the firefly mode instead of moonlight. I tend to need it/use it up close or when there really is almost no light around, so for this use, it works well.
If I had to use it for longer periods or wanted a bit more precision, indeed, I might want a tad bit more.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
you go first, let me know how you like the liteflux lf2xt, sounds awesome, especially since you already tolerate a longer light to have a clicky. Not sure of the weight difference.. Happy Shopping, to all of us, lol

Nice try :)

Unfortunately, I don't think the Liteflux's clip is reversible, which is a dealbreaker for me.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
L-M-H is my preferred sequence for an EDC light. I am glad there are options for all of us though.