Question Re: charging the Nitecore Tube. Cable?

goldenlight

Enlightened
I received a Nitecore Tube today. It came out of the package with no charge in it, so I went and got one of my many USB cords with the small male plug on one end. I've always called it a 'mini USB plug', but I don't know if that's the correct name.

My cell phone charges from this plug; my MP3 player charges and connects to my computer with this plug. And my digital camera connects to my computer using this plug. I have several external USB hard drives that use this plug/cable. I assumed, from the photographs, that I had the correct cable to charge up this light, though I expected it to come with a cable. I have at least 6 or 8 of these cables around the house.

Not only does the Nitecore Tube NOT come with the correct cable, the instruction don't even say WHAT the correct cable is. Do they think EVERYONE just HAS an extra cable with this tiny male plug around the house? Advertising photos show the light being charged, with a cable plugged into it. I figured a rechargeable flashlight would COME with the cable needed to charge it.

I am REALLY annoyed about this. NOWHERE does the advertising say 'charging cable not included'.

So, can somebody please tell me what this smaller male plug is properly called, or what the cable is called, if it has a name or number? I can't search for an 'AEL-47s' cable, without that number.

If anyone knows where I can buy these CHEAP, without waiting the 4 to 6 weeks it takes to get stuff directly from China (like DX.com). I would certainly appreciate it. I plan to give several of these as gifts. I'm sure glad I ordered just one of them (for myself) before I needed some more as gifts, and discovered THEN that I'm giving a rechargeable flashlight to people who almost certainly has no way to recharge it.

And I think it's really low and disgusting that Nitecore couldn't include a 12 inch cable WITH the Nitecore Tube. Buying them by the thousands, directly from the manufacturer in China, would cost Nitecore very little. Like 25 cents each. Probably less, with a big order. Pass the extra 25 cents along to the consumer.

I'm sure I am FAR from the ONLY person who bought one of these, only to get it, and discover that, just like me, they have no way to charge it. And I'm sure they are/were just as disgusted as I am, at having to go out and BUY the cable, and pay the cost + shipping, which will likely increase the REAL cost of the Nitecore Tube by 50 to 100%.

Thanks for the help!

kj2

Flashaholic
Micro usb is what you need, indeed ;) Have many of them in my house, and all work fine with my Tube. Have heard more people here on CPF, that have issues charging with some cables.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure where you are located, but in the US those MICRO USB cables can be found on the check out counter at the corner gas station. Albeit they are cheap but expensive, but in a pinch they usually work.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Micro USBs can be found everywhere now a days. I used my old Nokia, Samsung, Sony, Canon and several generic micro USB cables to charge my Tubes with no issues at all.

jimsmith1370

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it's a micro USB cable. I have several and at least one of them won't charge my Nitecore Tube. If i jiggle it around, the light will flash so I'm sure it's just a fitting issue. All of my other micro USB cables work fine.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your Tube came out of the package with no charge, it is probably defective. All of the Tubes I have gotten have been charged when opened. Granted, it probably wasn't a full charge, but it was enough to test the light and see how it worked and looked. Since you say you have several different micro USB cables around, I assume you have tested with more than one of them, since some owners have reported having problems with some cables. But they all have been able to find a cable that worked properly. I would return this Tube to wherever I bought it as defective and under warranty.

goldenlight

Enlightened
If your Tube came out of the package with no charge, it is probably defective. All of the Tubes I have gotten have been charged when opened. Granted, it probably wasn't a full charge, but it was enough to test the light and see how it worked and looked. Since you say you have several different micro USB cables around, I assume you have tested with more than one of them, since some owners have reported having problems with some cables. But they all have been able to find a cable that worked properly. I would return this Tube to wherever I bought it as defective and under warranty.

No. I don't have a micro USB cable. That's the problem. I have lots of the slightly bigger size. I've never seen the smaller, thinner, micro USB size before. I have to buy several of them.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. I don't have a micro USB cable. That's the problem. I have lots of the slightly bigger size. I've never seen the smaller, thinner, micro USB size before. I have to buy several of them.
Then you must be an all Apple household. I would guess that over 90% of the non-Apple rechargeable products made in the last five years use micro USB as their charging point. I think that is the main reason Nitecore does not include a cable, most households have more micro USB cables than they know what to do with. I know I have the USB ports on my PC, a half dozen other AC chargers, two power banks, a couple of auto chargers, and probably more than a dozen micro USB cables I can easily lay my hands on around the house.

goldenlight

Enlightened
Then you must be an all Apple household. I would guess that over 90% of the non-Apple rechargeable products made in the last five years use micro USB as their charging point. I think that is the main reason Nitecore does not include a cable, most households have more micro USB cables than they know what to do with. I know I have the USB ports on my PC, a half dozen other AC chargers, two power banks, a couple of auto chargers, and probably more than a dozen micro USB cables I can easily lay my hands on around the house.

Not a single Apple product in my house. It just seems that everything I have uses a mini cable: 2 MP3 players, my cell phone, My digital camera, and 3 external USB hard drives. All use the same cable. One of the hard drives I just got a few weeks ago, too. Just bad luck on my part.

I know people who have ALL Apple products, so they won't have a micro USB cable, either. A LOT of people don't have a micro USB cable in their homes.

I thought the Nitecore Tube might have gotten turned on at some point during handling and shipping from China to the USA, or from the retailer to me. If it won't take a charge, then I'll bit the bullet and send it back. It's bad enough I have to buy cables and pay shipping on them, too. If I have to send the light back, I have to pay for the shipping. That #%^&*@ $9.00 keychain flashlight is already costing me double what I paid for it.

And I'm STILL PISSED that Nitecore didn't AT LEAST put in their advertizing that it 'requires a micro USB cable, not included'. It's the HONEST way to do business. The RIGHT way to do business. But they didn't do that. It puts them on my #*&@ list, and I will bad mouth (ie: tell the TRUTH about their deceptive sales practices) to EVERYBODY I know and meet.

Thank you all for your help!

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am REALLY annoyed about this. NOWHERE does the advertising say 'charging cable not included'.

And I'm STILL PISSED that Nitecore didn't AT LEAST put in their advertizing that it 'requires a micro USB cable, not included'. It's the HONEST way to do business. The RIGHT way to do business. But they didn't do that. It puts them on my #*&@ list, and I will bad mouth (ie: tell the TRUTH about their deceptive sales practices) to EVERYBODY I know and meet.

Nitecore isn't required to do anything, it's the buyer's responsibility to do research on the product before purchase. They're not hiding anything, nor are they being deceptive whatsoever. Just because you're too lazy to do research, doesn't mean you can go bad-mouthing Nitecore. The manual says "Accessories: Key ring". On another rechargeable Nitecore product, its manual says "Accessories: USB cable, (etc.)". So by that you can clearly see that the Tube does not include a micro-USB cable.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost every brick and morter store has USB wall warts for sale. Look for a UL rating and get one rated at the full 2.1 amps, for future's sake. Don't get one with only a built in cable. You will also need a micro USB cable to do the actual charging. The same with a car charger. I use the Maxboost dual slot car charger where each slot can do 2.1 amps. For the car I like the USB cables that are coiled like the desk phone handset cords. Or you can always use a USB jack on your computer.

Don't try to buy cheap. A buck or two saved here can cause a lot of headaches down the road.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Cheapest source of Micro-USB will be Monoprice dot com. I think I got then for .97 each.

I ordered a bunch to go with the Tubes I will give as gifts at Christmas. Each fits perfectly.

I am also enclosing a copy of the TUBE pdf instruction sheet with the Tube and Micro-USB cord.

I recharge my Tube by plugging my Micro-USB cord into my iPad charger

- LetThereBeLight!

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
That's what I'm talking about! I splurged and got the $3.59 ($.99 shipping!) Premium USB to Micro USB. I've got a couple USB to outlet cubes.

I like their quality. PM me to let me know what you think.

- LetThereBeLight!

Last edited: