Help me decide! Looking for a 1x 123 EDC light

teotwawki

Newly Enlightened
I'm still new here but I've been browsing a ton. My addiction started quite a few years back with some simple LED Lenser and Defiant brand LED lights. I've since grown quite a bit and have acquired more lights than my wife would want to know about in the past few months! [emoji3]

Now let's get to it...

I had a streamlight poly tac that decided it didn't want to work anymore, so now I'm stuck with a box of 123s looking for something to drain them. I've been eyeing some 1x 123 lights to use in addition to my EDC rotation and so far have narrowed it down to 2, the sunwayman v11r and the Eagtac d25c. I really want to go with a tail cap switch this time as opposed to a side switch like my s series o lights.

What would you pick and why? Also, open to any other suggestions in this price range.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am currently EDC-ing my V11R & i find the variable output extremely useful for almost all situations. The anodizing is pretty good; a few months of pocket-wash treatment & it hasn't really done any damage to the host.

The downside is that it is a wee bit too short & it heats up quite quickly when on the highest mode.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both great options.... I'll vote for a D25C Ti N219 though. I really like the idea of magnetic ring UIs, but the added complexity, moving part/maintenance, and electronic overhead (on low lumen efficiency) put me off.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might I suggest the Nitecore SRT3? It gives you the option to use the 123 batteries or also use the included AA extender for those as well. Battery life is good, magnetic ring is better made than the sunwayman v11r and more durable. It is slightly larger but the clip is also a screw on instead of clipping on so less chances of losing the pocket clip. Their SRT series of lights are very well made and if you look around I've seen this one go for $65 or so. I like the magnetic ring feature better than a light like the Eagletacs which require all mode changes to be done through the clicky, the magnetic ring UI is far quicker in selecting a mode and gives you a far greater range of outputs.

recDNA

Flashaholic
There's a nice neutral rechargeable 1.45 amp xpg2 on Malkoff website if you want more output too.

What I like about the v11r is the ability to set output level before turning it on. No need for multiple clicks. If it feels too short use the extender.

I couldn't get used to the eagtac titanium 219A D25C clicky because there is a slight delay between click and on. No practical problem but it just annoyed me. It also felt a little to small in my hand yet too big for a keyring. I actually like the tint better than 219B

teotwawki

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions! I really like the looks and UI of the v11r I just wish it had a screwed on pocket clip. Does the clip have fairly good retention?

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggestions! I really like the looks and UI of the v11r I just wish it had a screwed on pocket clip. Does the clip have fairly good retention?

It has good retention and is quite robust from what I've seen. How often do you plan on using the new light you get? The reason I ask is quite a few on here have experienced the magnetic ring loosening up over time with the v11r and the only way to fix it is to send it off to China for repair. If you don't mind taking the risk the UI is great and it's a nice little EDC light. However as I recommended above the SRT3 by nitecore may be a better option. It's the same UI but the magnetic ring is designed differently, you shouldn't have to have it repaired or fixed. It also has the screw on clip and comes with free AA extender. Only con is it is a little larger than the v11r but in my experience the benefits it offers outweigh the larger size. Hope this helps!

teotwawki

Newly Enlightened
Snow lover, it would probably get thrown into my edc rotation. Maybe a few times a week. The SRT3 looks great!

I will check out the PD22 and HDS now.

Any thoughts on the thrunite archer 1c v2?

Berneck1

Enlightened
The V11r is a little on the large side. I used to carry it all the time. I had two of them, and the ring became ridiculously loose on both. It basically renders the flashlight useless. I never knew what level I was on. I moved on to the SRT3. It is a nice light, but it's nearly as large as my 18650 lights. For that reason, I really don't carry it much. Also, the red light is way too dim to be useful.
I finally went on to get the Eagletac D25a. By far my favorite light. A nice UI, and very small. It's a reverse-clicky, which I do not prefer, but not a deal-breaker for me. The CR123 version, the D25c, would probably be a good choice.

My opinion on the variable rings is that it's kind of cool to pick any level of light, but the reality is it's not necessary. If you have 3 or 4 well-spaced levels, that would be all you need.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Berneck1

Enlightened
Ok someone has to say it so....HDS.

The HDS lights get rave reviews here. I understand they are built like tanks, and quite heavy. I do like the look of them. However, I just can't bring myself to buy one light when I could literally buy five D25c's.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Snow lover, it would probably get thrown into my edc rotation. Maybe a few times a week. The SRT3 looks great!

I will check out the PD22 and HDS now.

Any thoughts on the thrunite archer 1c v2?

I have some Thrunite lights. They are a little on the cheaper side, and well made. However, I think they have had some quality control issues. That said, they were very good at replacing two of my lights.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have a v11r for sale in the mall. I carried it for a year and the magnetic ring is perfectly fine. I own several and have never had to send one in for service

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll throw in another vote for the Malkoff MDC. Simple, bright, efficient, tough and reasonably priced with lots of color and tint options plus a deep carry clip.

I'll admit to carrying a v11r more often but just because it rides a little smaller in my slacks pocket sans clip.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I'll throw in another vote for the Malkoff MDC. Simple, bright, efficient, tough and reasonably priced with lots of color and tint options plus a deep carry clip.

I'll admit to carrying a v11r more often but just because it rides a little smaller in my slacks pocket sans clip.

While there may be "better" lights out there, I think this statement says a lot. The best light is the one that you will carry with you. I have many lights that are better in many ways than my D25a, but I am NEVER without it because it's very small and covers the vast majority of my needs. The cost to performance is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

radiopej

Enlightened
The D25C Clicky is feature packed and amazing - especially if you ever switch to lithium ion. It'll pretty much do everything you need.

For some reason, I use the Olight M10 more - I still carry the D25C attached to a muktitoop but the Olight is on my belt. Great UI.

Another contender is the Nitecore SRT3 that has been mentioned a few times. Any of these will be great. If you want nice and small, the D25C Clicky will be best. If you want multiple colours and ability to use AA the SRT3. Solid useful UI, M10.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the OP's SHTF user name, it might be interesting to note the D25A can be easily rigged to run on ANY battery ;).

Font2010

Newly Enlightened
Having bought a malkoff flashlight recently I was blown away with how tough it is. However if you are on a budget I've found the thrunite t20s to be a nicely made and functional 3 level light with a nice moonlight level.