HDS Systems        
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 333

Thread: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

  1. #91
    Flashaholic* Hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,533

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    I won't deny a heaping helping of the Surefire hatred above myself. And I still don't see what changed that was in conflict with their products. I only understood the Maelstrom/U2 interface similarity.

    On the positive side, the price is reasonable (if you like the default modes), and you get both switches in the package.

    Of even more promise is that this board could be the ULTIMATE Pro interface, if you allow the user access to the customizing they are "offering" at a charge. Think of it, you can have any two brightnesses, in any order, or a L-M-H light, or H-M-L light, all five, ML thru Max? No problem. It will never quite fill the QT function, as tapping momentary light will change modes, and that is a no-no for many, but it would certainly be the grail of Pro interfaces. Easter egg... Easter Egg... EASTER Egg... EASTER EGG!

    I fear, though, that they may need to hook up to contacts under the head and program the chip from an external computer. Now I would spend the $10 for the USB dongle to do that myself.

  2. #92
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Of even more promise is that this board could be the ULTIMATE Pro interface, if you allow the user access to the customizing they are "offering" at a charge. Think of it, you can have any two brightnesses, in any order, or a L-M-H light, or H-M-L light, all five, ML thru Max? No problem. It will never quite fill the QT function, as tapping momentary light will change modes, and that is a no-no for many, but it would certainly be the grail of Pro interfaces. Easter egg... Easter Egg... EASTER Egg... EASTER EGG!
    One thing that is very important to me about the Pro interface, however, is that I always know what mode it will turn on in. I picked up a Penlight on clearance and was very turned off by the mode memory. The option to have that feature disabled as part of the customization would help.

  3. #93

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Still no official announcement anywhere yet? Guess they weren't quite ready for prime-time??

  4. #94
    Flashaholic* Hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,533

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordforthelord View Post
    One thing that is very important to me about the Pro interface, however, is that I always know what mode it will turn on in. I picked up a Penlight on clearance and was very turned off by the mode memory. The option to have that feature disabled as part of the customization would help.
    I also don't like mode memory on this type of interface. It reads like it will operate like the Pro interface and return to whatever is programmed as mode 1 after being off for two seconds.

  5. #95
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I also don't like mode memory on this type of interface. It reads like it will operate like the Pro interface and return to whatever is programmed as mode 1 after being off for two seconds.
    Unfortunately I don't believe this is true.
    "The Quark Click also remembers the last output that was used and will always turn on starting with that output level."

  6. #96
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,040

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    The Quark Clic is a cripple sompared to the original Quark Tactical.

  7. #97
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuchshp View Post
    The Quark Clic is a cripple sompared to the original Quark Tactical.
    Compared to the Tactical and to the Pro. Really, it's just a completely different animal but it seems like one whose full potential is not tapped. I think it would be a big improvement if the users could program it themselves and if the memory mode could be disabled. IMHO, of course.

  8. #98
    Flashaholic* Hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,533

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordforthelord View Post
    Unfortunately I don't believe this is true.
    "The Quark Click also remembers the last output that was used and will always turn on starting with that output level."
    D'oh, right you are. Well, toggling that on/off is another switch we need in the user configurable interface! HDS has a toggle for that, not that this would challenge the level of customization of Henry's lights, but it should be possible.

  9. #99

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Im very disappointed that the user has no way of changing the modes. The tactical UI was pretty easy to do, however I understand that some users may not know how to do it, then this should be an option that the foursevens team can provide to program it before shipping, however I will not be shipping a flashlight back to the warehouse to have it programed and then pay for a service charge. I’d probably never buy a quark again if I cant program it my self. I still got love for you guys, the ATOM AL is one of my favorites, im still waiting for a clicky light with the ATOM beam profile but yea..Thanks for listening.


    ( I do understand that this all stemmed from the Surefire agreement, and im sorry to hear that, and I haven’t bought any surefire products since 2010)

  10. #100
    Flashaholic* WarRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    2,135

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Keeping my old Q-Pros.
    I doubt I'll be adding to their stable though with new models I can't adjust beyond two levels sadly.

  11. #101

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    A big "meh" from me on these. These actually strike me as more similar to surefire anyway with just the two modes.

    Charging $10 to get a different mode doesn't seem right. Should be free in my opinion.

    Trying to think of who would want these and for what use case. Can't really see these selling well. Too bad... I like my existing 4sevens lights. There's basically nothing about these that I see as an improvement.

  12. #102
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL.
    Posts
    1,433

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by rpm00 View Post
    A big "meh" from me on these. These actually strike me as more similar to surefire anyway with just the two modes.

    Charging $10 to get a different mode doesn't seem right. Should be free in my opinion.

    Trying to think of who would want these and for what use case. Can't really see these selling well. Too bad... I like my existing 4sevens lights. There's basically nothing about these that I see as an improvement.
    What if they sold these for the same price as the old ones and offered free programming? That would be more expensive. They brought the price down quite a bit and it's still cheaper if you add the $10 for programming. I'm not personally interested, but I don't see the reason everyone is ripping on the price. I'd be interested if they make a USB adapter so we can change the programming ourselves whenever we want.

  13. #103
    A&Q Moderator
    Woods Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New England woods.
    Posts
    5,422

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    I don't see the advantage to these over the older lights.

    Our new Quark Click interface operates simply through clicking the switch on the tailcap. They come with two easy to toggle modes (LOW and MAX) that give you a choice between maximum power and excellent battery-life without needing to fumble through unwanted and unneeded settings. Need a different selection of output levels?

    The Quark Pros could already turn on at low or max. If I want another mode it's just a tap on the clicky. Am I missing something?
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

  14. #104
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL.
    Posts
    1,433

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    I don't see the advantage to these over the older lights.

    Our new Quark Click interface operates simply through clicking the switch on the tailcap. They come with two easy to toggle modes (LOW and MAX) that give you a choice between maximum power and excellent battery-life without needing to fumble through unwanted and unneeded settings. Need a different selection of output levels?

    The Quark Pros could already turn on at low or max. If I want another mode it's just a tap on the clicky. Am I missing something?
    They can no longer use that UI due to a settlement with Surefire.

  15. #105
    A&Q Moderator
    Woods Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New England woods.
    Posts
    5,422

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    They can no longer use that UI due to a settlement with Surefire.
    Oh darn. I thought it was the Lego thing that got them in a fight with SF. Well glad I own what I own.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

  16. #106
    Flashaholic campingnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
    Posts
    445

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    We do not even know if these will Lego with the old quarks...I surely hope so. Why is there not a single 123 or AA offered?

  17. #107
    A&Q Moderator
    Woods Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New England woods.
    Posts
    5,422

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    I don't even get the price structure. Who wants a multi mode flashlight in this classification without a medium mode? Why not have the default option low-med-max. Why not have a user programmable light for 10 dollars more?
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

  18. #108
    Flashaholic* Hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,533

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    At least for now, R.I.P. Quark. This launch caused me to pick up a couple of the Gen1 Quark Pro heads from the clearance page.

    I hope for the sake of the company non-flashaholics still buy these.

    But I also don't get what was changed to satisfy the Surefire lawsuit, the features we lost from the QP and QT line don't seem to conflict with Surefire products. If this is what it takes, they really killed the main line of FourSevens. I'm retroactively glad I never gave them any of my money.

  19. #109
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    I don't even get the price structure. Who wants a multi mode flashlight in this classification without a medium mode? Why not have the default option low-med-max. Why not have a user programmable light for 10 dollars more?
    I feel like the orinal Quark line was deliberately designed for flashaholics and this new line deliberately was not. We do not, after all, represent the majority.

  20. #110
    A&Q Moderator
    Woods Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New England woods.
    Posts
    5,422

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordforthelord View Post
    I feel like the orinal Quark line was deliberately designed for flashaholics and this new line deliberately was not. We do not, after all, represent the majority.
    But people spending 50 or more dollars for a flashlight are not the majority. At that price range there are other options. Is the average person going to pay 10 dollars more of a medium mode? Are they going to spend 50 bucks on a two mode light within this class give all that's out there? I hate even typing this as I really enjoyed the originals.
    Last edited by Woods Walker; 05-31-2015 at 07:38 PM.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

  21. #111
    Flashaholic* ronniepudding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    NY Capital District
    Posts
    676

    Default Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    What if they sold these for the same price as the old ones and offered free programming? That would be more expensive. They brought the price down quite a bit and it's still cheaper if you add the $10 for programming. I'm not personally interested, but I don't see the reason everyone is ripping on the price. I'd be interested if they make a USB adapter so we can change the programming ourselves whenever we want.
    +1

    The previous version Quark Pro QP2A-X listed for $78, and the new version is $55 base plus $10 to get any customized mode order you like. So the new CUSTOMIZED light is $13 cheaper, but folks are feeling like they're getting gouged? :/

    Yes, the pricing model is not what we're used to, and yes we'd all like the base configuration to come with our preferred mode sequence but in the end, this seems like a genuine attempt to accommodate a lot of different user preferences with one product while -- 1) lowering price, 2) staying true to their roots with a mechanical clicky, and 3) working within the constraints of their settlement with Surefire (no head twist mode actuation).

    And while I agree it would be ideal for us enthusiast-types to be able to plug in the flashlight to our iPhone and switch around the mode order at will, that arrangement adds a software component and thereby a whole new dimension (and cost) to their support model. Frankly, that method of programmability will be seen as overly complicated by non-enthusiasts, who only care for low-high-off anyway.... Which is likely why that's the base config.

    I say this with due respect and empathy for all the CPFers who wanted a new Quark Tactical line and didn't get what they wanted with this light. I get it. But the current situation isn't Foursevens' fault per se, and they seem to be doing their best to make lemonade here.
    Last edited by ronniepudding; 05-31-2015 at 09:08 PM.

  22. #112

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by ronniepudding View Post
    +1

    The previous version Quark Pro QP2A-X listed for $78, and the new version is $55 base plus $10 to get any customized mode order you like. So the new CUSTOMIZED light is $13 cheaper, but folks are feeling like they're getting gouged? :/

    Yes, the pricing model is not what we're used to, and yes we'd all like the base configuration to come with our preferred mode sequence but in the end, this seems like a genuine attempt to accommodate a lot of different user preferences with one product while -- 1) lowering price, 2) staying true to their roots with a mechanical clicky, and 3) working within the constraints of their settlement with Surefire (no head twist mode actuation).

    And while I agree it would be ideal for us enthusiast-types to be able to plug in the flashlight to our iPhone and switch around the mode order at will, that arrangement adds a software component and thereby a whole new dimension (and cost) to their support model. Frankly, that method of programmability will be seen as overly complicated by non-enthusiasts, who only care for low-high-off anyway.... Which is likely why that's the base config.

    I say this with due respect and empathy for all the CPFers who wanted a new Quark Tactical line and didn't get what they wanted with this light. I get it. But the current situation isn't Foursevens' fault per se, and they seem to be doing their best to make lemonade here.
    Well said.

    New models are a bit more limited than the old, and the price has been reduced to reflect that. Sure there're plenty of alternatives at this price point, but not with a strong US-based customer service and a long warranty - you'll need to step it up to a Surefire, Malkoff, HDS.... or perhaps dumb it down with a Maglite or Streamlight. For me, however, the Quark's combination of common cell support, broad battery voltage tolerance, efficient low lows, and hopefully legacy Lego-ability, still make it a top pick for me (and above my Malkoff and HDS).

    I'm really warming up to the idea of a custom mode Pro - the Quark's mode spacing always worked the best for me out of my light collection and I set my HDS up in a similar way.... now I think I'll do a vice versa .

    (Just need to confirm legacy lego-ability)

  23. #113
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,040

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    I think it's time that Foursevens sais something about all this.

  24. #114
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southwest PA
    Posts
    670

    Default Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Having everything controlled from the tail can actually be a positive - if and only if the criteria for switching modes verses staying in the same mode is correctly handled. Again, we need this information. Is it based on how long the light is left on of how long it is left off? How much time has to pass before the next activation is assured of being in the same mode during intermittent use?

  25. #115

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    New Quark models will work with previous Quarks. You will be able to purchase single cell bodies to make the light which you want.

    Thanks
    Reid

  26. #116
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    824

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    New Quark models will work with previous Quarks. You will be able to purchase single cell bodies to make the light which you want.

    Thanks
    Reid
    Wasn't Legoability one of the problems?

    If you feel like sending one I'd be happy to review it.
    I may not like mode memory, but providing customisable modes is cool.

  27. #117
    Flashaholic* ronniepudding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    NY Capital District
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by radiopej View Post
    If you feel like sending one I'd be happy to review it.
    I may not like mode memory, but providing customisable modes is cool.
    You could probably find a few volunteer reviewers around here

  28. #118
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    824

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Not if I hide them all

  29. #119
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by radiopej View Post
    Wasn't Legoability one of the problems?
    If I remember correctly, the only legoability issues arose from some Turbos that the factory they were using made off spec (regular threads instead of square). However that was years ago and I believe the issue was corrected.

  30. #120

    Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordforthelord View Post
    If I remember correctly, the only legoability issues arose from some Turbos that the factory they were using made off spec (regular threads instead of square). However that was years ago and I believe the issue was corrected.
    I think he was referring to the SF patent lawsuit, which reminds me - I was going to buy a SF Titan AAA as a vote of confidence toward SF offering more common cell support.... I think not now, and will divert the funds to a Q2 instead ... I like mode memory.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •