Maxtorch        
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

A&Q Moderator

Default Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

Quote Originally Posted by ronniepudding View Post
    +1

The previous version Quark Pro QP2A-X listed for $78, and the new version is $55 base plus $10 to get any customized mode order you like. So the new CUSTOMIZED light is $13 cheaper, but folks are feeling like they're getting gouged? :/

Yes, the pricing model is not what we're used to, and yes we'd all like the base configuration to come with our preferred mode sequence but in .
    You're taking the best numbers to prove your hypothesis. For example I could flip it around. A QPL is 60 dollars. Now if someone wants that light they need to spend 20 bucks for a 1XCR123 body, 50 bucks for a Q2 and 10 bucks to program it. Or we could take the middle road and say a QP2A is 66 and QP2L is 65. Now a Q2 is 50 so add 10 bucks. So is saving 5-6 bucks worth the loss of options? Or as I have shown spending more. Numbers can be worked multiple ways but we should try not to cherry pick them to prove a point IMHO. Then again I am typing this on the fly so my math could be off.

At least the Lego thing is still intact.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Flashaholic*

Boycot Surefire?

If/when my QP2L-X dies, I'll pull the trigger on the click replacement. That is, if the Ten Year Warranty period has expired. My options would be to purchase a replacement head for $39.60 or a brand spanking new Click for $48.40. So for $8.80 more I'll receive a whole, new, light with batteries and warranty. Thank you David, good job making lemonade!

~ Chance
    Still a FourSevens Fanboy
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Oh my ..... boycot Fuchsp? They were pursueing infringements of their patents. There´s a reason why you have patents...... If you want to discuss the surefire lawsuits you´d better do that in the respective thread somewhere around here....oh wait, I guess that one has been closed already and that one here might end up the same way...... Let´s keep it about foursevens.

Eric
    Move Through The Light .... With Caution
    My Collection.......... just click on me if interested

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    You're taking the best numbers to prove your hypothesis. For example I could flip it around. A QPL is 60 dollars. Now if someone wants that light they need to spend 20 bucks for a 1XCR123 body, 50 bucks for a Q2 and 10 bucks to program it. Or we could take the middle road and say a QP2A is 66 and QP2L is 65. Now a Q2 is 50 so add 10 bucks. So is saving 5-6 bucks worth the loss of options? Or as I have shown spending more. Numbers can be worked multiple ways but we should try not to cherry pick them to prove a point IMHO. Then again I am typing this on the fly so my math could be off.

At least the Lego thing is still intact.
    Edit.

The lack of single battery options from the get go is puzzling. I wonder if that's somehow related to the Lego aspect and legal action. It doesn't make any logic, not that any of this does beyond outside forces. Pure speculation but I am at a loss for reasons why.

Edit.

The lack of single battery options from the get go is puzzling. I wonder if that's somehow related to the Lego aspect and legal action. It doesn't make any logic, not that any of this does beyond outside forces. Pure speculation but I am at a loss for reasons why.
    For a single cell, I would recommend the QK2A which is ($50) and add the body ($20) then add your CPF discount and you will end up with a single cell at $53/$63 if you want it programmed.

Thanks
    Reid

You're taking the best numbers to prove your hypothesis. For example I could flip it around. A QPL is 60 dollars. Now if someone wants that light they need to spend 20 bucks for a 1XCR123 body, 50 bucks for a Q2 and 10 bucks to program it. ... Numbers can be worked multiple ways but we should try not to cherry pick them to prove a point IMHO. Then again I am typing this on the fly so my math could be off.
    You're right, the three lights posted thus far do not work out to everyone's benefit in comparison to the old Quark models. I believe I conceded this point earlier, and I did write that I'd prefer the option to choose a body tube with the order instead of having to buy a 2-cell tube (which I already own). Since it appears that Foursevens will not be offering single-cell packaging of the new lights, it will make them ~$20 more expensive for those who need 1xAA or 1x123 and do not already have the relevant body tube. I'm not arguing with you there.

In my defense, I was focused on the particular model of interest to ME when I posted those numbers, -- and I was addressing the gripe about the additional cost of mode customization that seemed to be the biggest complaint, not the body-tube issue. I was NOT attempting to do a comprehensive cost analysis, or otherwise cherry-pick my data, or for that matter shill

One further point regarding "the loss of options" versus the old Quark models... those options were off the table when the old Quark line was discontinued (for compelling reasons that have already been discussed). Comparing the old and new UI and features [EDIT: in the context of cost analysis] is kind a moot point.
    Last edited by ronniepudding; 06-01-2015 at 12:54 PM.

Can someone summarize for me what's going on with Foursevens? I saw their products have been out of stock for a few months now so I got worried, and I don't really wanna read through 5 pages here. Thanks.
    Full Size: Quark AA/^2 Tactical (Neutral White XP-E), Surefire 6P w/ NB XP-G (4000k), QTL (XP-G)
    Small Lights: L3 Illumination L10 (Nichia 219)

Support Systems: LaCrosse BC-900 NiHM and SheKor Li-Ion Chargers

A&Q Moderator

You're right, the three lights posted thus far do not work out to everyone's benefit in comparison to the old Quark models. I believe I conceded this point earlier, and I did write that I'd prefer the option to choose a body tube with the order instead of having to buy a 2-cell tube (which I already own). Since it appears that Foursevens will not be offering single-cell packaging of the new lights, it will make them ~$20 more expensive for those who need 1xAA or 1x123 and do not already have the relevant body tube. I'm not arguing with you there.

In my defense, I was focused on the particular model of interest to ME when I posted those numbers, -- and I was addressing the gripe about the additional cost of mode customization that seemed to be the biggest complaint, not the body-tube issue. I was NOT attempting to do a comprehensive cost analysis, or otherwise cherry-pick my data, or for that matter shill

One further point regarding "the loss of options" versus the old Quark models... those options were off the table when the old Quark line was discontinued (for compelling reasons that have already been discussed). Comparing the old and new UI and features [EDIT: in the context of cost analysis] is kind a moot point.
    It's all good brother. I didn't mean to intend malice or intentional deceit on your part. Sorry if I came off that way. Speaking of customization that too seems kinda funky being done like this. Here is some pure wild speculation on my part. It's based on nothing but wild crazy talk. It wouldn't surprise me if they're already user customizable. It doesn't make any logic (so much of this doesn't IMHO within a pure user context aka no single battery option without buying an extra body etc etc etc ) that they would be produced any other way. They can't be made one at a time in China then shipped to Georgia. I think they come off the line with a default setting and there might be an unknown series of clicks and bezel twists to get into a custom setting mode as it couldn't possibly cost more to have low-max rather than max-strobe unless someone had to physically adjust each light. Or there could be somekinda magic machine which does this in Georgia as sooner or later it's possible a user might stumble on how to do it if my crazy talk was true. But then again it's probably just crazy talk and why not offer a user customizable light.

As for "the loss of options" compared to the originals if the only option was FourSevens context not withstanding it would be a moot point however as we all know the market is full of options. I don't want to come off sounding anti FourSevens. It's my most owned brand of flashlight. But like the SF 1XAAA light I evaluate each gear item on it's own merits. I try not to fanboy or bash anything though do have a soft spot for Kifaru.
    Last edited by Woods Walker; 06-01-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw122 View Post
    Can someone summarize for me what's going on with Foursevens? I saw their products have been out of stock for a few months now so I got worried, and I don't really wanna read through 5 pages here. Thanks.
    We have replaced the "out of stock" former line of Quarks with the first part of our Quark replacements. This release is the simplified version called the Click. It does not have the same level of adjustability but can be configured for your needs. It does come at a reduced price while having the option to pay ($10) for custom programming.

Thanks
    Reid

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    We have replaced the "out of stock" former line of Quarks with the first part of our Quark replacements.
    (my emphasis)

Reid, so you're saying there's a second part coming next?

It's all good brother. I didn't mean to intend malice or intentional deceit on your part. Sorry if I came off that way.
    No worries, thanks for clarifying your intent

Speaking of customization that too seems kinda funky being done like this. .... it couldn't possibly cost more to have low-max rather than max-strobe unless someone had to physically adjust each light. Or there could be somekinda magic machine which does this in Georgia...
    I don't know first-hand or even second-hand how the "customization" is accomplished, but given that there are 8 different possible modes and a customer can request any combination thereof, it makes sense to me that there is a machine or dongle for burning in the mode order before shipping. I imagine the magic machine is proprietary, so Reid may not be forthcoming with the details until the patent is filed, etc.

As for "the loss of options" compared to the originals if the only option was FourSevens context not withstanding it would be a moot point however as we all know the market is full of options.
    Indeed, very true, there are a number of nice lights coming out right about now that have been catching my eye... the value of this new Quark has to make sense in that larger context.

Just to check, the QK2A seems to have 0.3 hours extra min runtime over the QP2A, whereas all the others have the same specs as their analogous Gen 2 brethren. Is this a mistake or have you somehow squeezed a little extra performance out of that one but not the others?

Do these have anodised threads to allow lockout, and does the reverse clicky switch just drop into the same tail?

A&Q Moderator

Indeed, very true, there are a number of nice lights coming out right about now that have been catching my eye... the value of this new Quark has to make sense in that larger context.
    I suppose there is that. 50 dollars with discount and free shipping is 44 bucks (again math on the fly) for a current controlled flashlight to the customer's door which if anything like the Quarks should be dependable. Looks like the 2XAA lights have a 3-5 lumen low mode and their respective max for default. Perhaps a good prep or woods light at a reasonable cost.

Might it prove prudent to hold the speculation until after we see everything FourSeven's will be offering? You can purchase a lot of different parts on the accessories section of their website.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

(my emphasis)

Reid, so you're saying there's a second part coming next?
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by 4rmless View Post
    Just to check, the QK2A seems to have 0.3 hours extra min runtime over the QP2A, whereas all the others have the same specs as their analogous Gen 2 brethren. Is this a mistake or have you somehow squeezed a little extra performance out of that one but not the others?

Do these have anodised threads to allow lockout, and does the reverse clicky switch just drop into the same tail?
    They do not have anodized threads, and the reverse clicky does just drop in. The tailcaps are identical to the old Quark. They ship with the "tactical" tail installed.

Flashaholic

Honestly....after going to the 4sevens website and checking http://www.foursevens.com/products/QK2A-X-AE-24, I see this as a huge downgrade to the original Quark Tactical. It is missing the "high" mode. It has the turbo of the old quark (max) but I really don't understand why you guys could not offer a simple moon/low/med/high/turbo mode. Limiting our choices for a $55+10 seems a bit excessive imho but its your business and you probably know better...

Not having any insight into part 2 of the Quark reboot, I've been thinking of this first release as more of a general use light -- not as a replacement for the old Tactical series. But perhaps that's wrong, and the next Quark release will put things into better context.

For a general use light, I'd like to have access to all the non-blinkies in ascending order
    [moon/low/med/high/turbo], and so that would have been my preference for the default mode settings as well. However, I've not done any market research or user acceptance testing to see what the rest of the world wants in a flashlight ... it may very well be that the majority of the market wants just Low/Turbo. Presuming that the 'customization' option is not intended to be a profit center, it makes sense to have the default configuration be the one you expect to sell the most.

Having said that, it might be more "popular" (around here anyway) to provide access to all modes in the base configuration, and
    the user can pay extra for customization to remove unneeded modes and re-order those remaining to suit their particular style/needs. However, it comes down to the same difference for me personally, since I'd definitely pay the extra $10 bucks to make sure I NEVER see a strobe or beacon.

In any case, I'm waiting for part 2 before I make a decision.

In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate

I am very excited to see the ENTIRE new line offered.

I feel like I am going to "need" a new Quark, but since I am a single cell guy, I will be waiting...

I've yet to find the Click line listed on the FourSevens website. Where are you guys finding the above listing, Facebook?

~ Chance

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I've yet to find the Click line listed on the FourSevens website. Where are you guys finding the above listing, Facebook?

~ Chance
    Page 3 of this thread:

Post Re: Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

Click was not quite what I had been expecting. Looking forward to seeing the other new releases.

Also waiting for some input from David.

Quote Originally Posted by 4rmless View Post
    Page 3 of this thread:
    Yes, they can be found if you know the actual links. However, if you use the Lightfinder or go to Products -> Flashlights page, they can't be found there. Is this a mistake or is this intentional?

This also makes me wonder, what is the deal with those Blackvue recorders (that can also be found if you know or guess the link). Are you going to be their new dealer?
    In God we trust, all others bring data.

I guess Chaunsey already knew these links but they nonetheless cannot be found on the foursevens webpages if you are not following these links. The are not listed under "Quark Pro", not under "Quark Tactical", not under "New Products"......

EDIT: Esko beat me to it
    Move Through The Light .... With Caution
    My Collection.......... just click on me if interested

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Esko View Post
    Click was not quite what I had been expecting. Looking forward to seeing the other new releases.

Also waiting for some input from David.

Yes, they can be found if you know the actual links. However, if you use the Lightfinder or go to Products -> Flashlights page, they can't be found there. Is this a mistake or is this intentional?

This also makes me wonder, what is the deal with those Blackvue recorders (that can also be found if you know or guess the link). Are you going to be their new dealer?
    They haven't been officially announced, so I'm thinking that's why we can't find them on their site yet (without direct links). I'm hoping we hear something about the second phase of the new line soon.

Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    I'm hoping we hear something about the second phase of the new line soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    Soon as it before summer solstice soon.
    So hopefully in just over two weeks .

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by campingnut View Post
    I am very excited to see the ENTIRE new line offered.

I feel like I am going to "need" a new Quark, but since I am a single cell guy, I will be waiting...
    It wouldn't surprise me if that option was a separate line which isn't lego compatible with the Click. Again wild speculation.

It wouldn't surprise me if that option was a separate line which isn't lego compatible with the Click. Again wild speculation.
    You're not a news reporter by chance are you?

~ Chance

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    You're not a news reporter by chance are you?

~ Chance
    LOL!

Incorrect

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast