L2 Digital Lumamax, Surefires forgotten one...

Scattergun

Enlightened
I have just bought an old L2 Lumamax in perfect condition. The light is nice, but I would like to have some info on specs. The sad part is that Surefire doesn´t list it as a discontinued item, and all info is on the new Lx2...
Does anyone have a clue on maximum voltage for this light? Is it possible to run on RCR123?

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I love L2s, but I think I lost the lottery, because I had two of them at one point, and both buzzed like crazy! Haha!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was a dear friend until I sold it. Great all-around light. Nice floody low with wall of light on tap at the push of a button.

I am uncertain as to RCR usage. You're probably okay with using 3.0volt batts, but unsure of what runtime you would get. Definitely would NOT try 3.7volt batts.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I run my L2 with 1x17670 exclusively. ~90% of the output and considerably longer rechargeable runtimes. :)
Compared to that, I see no advantage with playing "what if" with that ~6V driver.

Edit: Now that 16650's have become much more popular, that may be the best bet these days.

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
I owned an L2 briefly when they first came out. I completely lost the tint lottery on that one - greenest tint light I've ever owned. Drove me crazy - sold it on Ebay (with complete disclosure of tint - I guess some people just don't care!). I remember running it with a RCR123 and a spacer, but I don't think I ever loaded up two. Probably because of the max. voltage spec - it was so long ago I don't remember the details.

Scattergun

Enlightened
I have read numerous threads on the specs of this light, and all are cautious about twin rechargeables, but very few has ever reported trying.
All in the name of science I just had to try... I am currently running my L2 on two AW RCR123, and it´s doing well so far.

tjhabak

Enlightened
I've done that too. It probably ran on 2 x rcr123's for 2 hours or so with no problems. I figured I'd try it out since I was planning on sending it to Tana for a TripLED mod anyway. It was definitely brighter on the rcr's. I've also had the same good luck with a newer E2DL Ultra, and an L4.