2015 - Help with modding 6D Maglite flashlight

Grizzly22

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I've searched many times for modding a 6D Maglite, but most the results and threads I get back are all outdated, usually around 2009 or so.

What I would like to know is what are all my options with modding a 6D Maglite?
I've seen the drop-in Malkoff that's rated at 300 lumens. Anything brighter besides this? Threads of interest recently? Pics and tutorials?

Thanks, would be a fun little hobby to modify a standard 6D Maglite into a torch as bright as its big size. :)

swan

Banned
Vesture of Blood has a few options- one is a 2100 lumen xhp-50, over in the custom buy and sell section.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to spend some money but not break the bank and get the most possible lumens. Here is my idea of a 9K lumen build granted 30~40min runtime though.

• 6D Mag - FREE since you have it already
  • Borefloat high temp glass at flashlight lens is $6
  • 6 IMR 26650's are about $60 delivered just make sure they have 10A~15A continuous and you can even find 5000mAh ones.
  • Fivemega G6.35 socket is $30 delivered
  • kaidomain SMO Mag reflector $10
  • Osram 24V/250watt at Bulbamerica.com $3~$5. Many 24V bulbs to choose from.
  • Buy a 10A Mag switch from fivemega $50 or run stock switch. I run stock D switch in my set with 4D Mag623--150watt Incan and still works many cycles later.

its estimated you would get 9K lumens but the most amazing part is being able to start fires with your flashlight plus with big 5000mAh cells you could get at least 30min of runtime (take breaks of course since it will get hot as heck).

so for about $100 bucks you could have an amazing 9K lumen monster and all the parts are almost plug and play. Of course if you had a bunch of IMR 18650s use those and save at least $60 instantly.

The LED route is always an option too.

I have 3 LED Maglites and love them:
2D Maglite with 3 MTG2's about 5~6K lumens
2D Maglite with XPL at 5A and 2.8in head - 240K lux
2D Maglite MTG2 stock head - 40watts/3000 plus lumens

but nothing comes close to how awesome a firestarting Maglite is and does.

bigC

Last edited:

grillflame

Newly Enlightened
This sounds what I may like to do with my 6d.
I have a mop aluminium reflector already with the small bulb apature originally for wa 1185 bulbs.
Will the osram bulb fit in?

grillflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi. Right, sorry I didn't make my question clear.
will the appeture in the reflector be wide enough for the Osram?
It's one of yours fivemega from 6 years ago.
thanks

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
will the appeture in the reflector be wide enough for the Osram?
There have been many different types and opening sizes of Fivemega 2" reflectors for different bulbs. Also some are fixed cam, some camless and some removable cam.
You can measure bulb opening diameter and let us know which Osram you are interested since each one may have different diameter.

grillflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi. My reflector is cammed, apature about(can't fit calipers in)8.75-9mm. Don't prefer any particular bulb, but the 24v250 watt mentioned above in Bigchelis post sounds a good starting point.
I don't mind splashing out for a new reflector etc as this estimated 9k build is starting to intrigue me!
would anyone have a more detailed step by step build using my 6d donor?

grillflame

Newly Enlightened
Ok. 6.35 socket, and a reflector with a larger dia hole- any suggestions there? (I live in Manchester UK) will stock switch need modding; if so I have not done this before. Previously only made a 3d 1185.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. 6.35 socket, and a reflector with a larger dia hole- any suggestions there? (I live in Manchester UK) will stock switch need modding; if so I have not done this before. Previously only made a 3d 1185.

So, far I been using my Mag623 with stock switch and while it gets 10A or more at the tailcap the switch has survived dozens of hours over the past 6~ months. You are better off getting the Fivemega high temp switch to play it safe.

bigC

grillflame

Newly Enlightened
Thanks BigC.
so,6.35 socket, which KD reflector? Will 6 22650 fit without tail cap mod? Can 26650 or 32650 be used? And which bulb or choice of bulbs please?
Temporarily fitted TTS 3.2-9vLED drop in, into my 6d tonight. Very pleasantly surprised at the brightness and throw when set on spot.
Thanks Gentlemen.

grillflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi
Any specific advice on the above batt/ reflector/ bulb questions will be much appreciated.
thanks.