Testing the LG HE2 vs. the LG HE4

battery_bro

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I just did a fairly detailed look at the LG 18650 HE2 and the LG 18650 HE4. I only used two batteries, and three discharge tests each. Here are the conclusions:

1. The HE2 was released first. However both cells are from 2013, with only a five month difference in between their release dates.
  2. The second HE2 discharge test is not clean, indicating a possibly lower quality cell (or maybe it's just a problem with my equipment).
  3. The HE2 heats up faster than the HE4.
  4. The HE2 has to be drained all the way down to 2.0V to meet its nominal rated capacity, whereas the HE4 a more reasonable 2.5V.
  5. The HE2 is not as capable of high-drain (20A) discharges, having been rated at only 200 cycles for (15A), whereas the HE4 is rated at 200 cycles for (20A).
  6. The HE2 I tested is lacking quality control markings which the HE4 and many other commodity cells employ.
In particular I'm wondering about point #2, what might be the cause of such noise in the discharge test?

he2-test2.jpg

And does anyone know what difference (if any) is the chemical makeup of the LG HE4 versus the HE2?

Thanks

Full blog post on he4 / he2 here if interested.