What sets "Flashaholics" apart from typical flashlight buyers?

Amelia

Enlightened
While I was reading another thread here, I started thinking about what it is that makes my view of flashlights different than that of a typical flashlight buyer. What is it about me, and other "flashaholics" that sets us apart?

Sure - I have more lights than I'll ever need - unless maybe I take up cave exploring as a hobby. Sheer number of lights isn't the whole story, though... there are probably a lot of "typical" flashlight purchasers who have decided they need a light in every room, vehicle, and basement doorway - but who have little or no interest in any of the "fine points" of handheld illumination. Is it my interest in good tint and high CRI? There are probably plenty of photographers and home movie amateurs who are interested in such things, but have no interest in other things "flashaholic". Is it the "gear" aspect of it all? Enjoying obtaining a stable of great lights, batteries, chargers, and other flashlight related accessories? Maybe... most "flashaholics" seem to be gearheads of some sort, into collecting and trying many different products in search of the "best" products for specific purposes. Many of us overlap this into other things - being "into" hobby RC cars, guns, outdoor gear, watches, or (like me) pocketknives and fine kitchen cutlery. Something tells me though that being a "flashaholic" goes deeper than just a love of collecting great pieces of gear.

What do you all think? What makes us different from Joe the electrician who goes down to Home Depot every few months to grab another Maglight for his attic wiring jobs? What is it that really makes us "flashaholics?

Bedlam

Newly Enlightened
I think it's enjoyment that sets us apart.

For instance, Joe the sparky who goes down to Home Depot grabs the light that says it's the brightest, uses it as a tool and when it breaks buys another one. Sure he might look for a different brand, maybe even go online and look for a review or two because he's sick of the ones he uses for whatever reason.. But even if he finds a brighter light, that's it. He's got one, he uses it, and he doesn't think about it until he uses it again.

Us? Not so much. Sure we might buy a big 4 cell Maglite to mod, for nostalgia, or to keep by the bed incase of a break in. But it'll be on the nightstand next to a head lamp, a Zebralight that's on 0.1lm 24/7 as a beacon, the Olight S10R that's charging for tomorrow.. Each with a tritium fob on so we can find them at 4am, of course ;)

Capolini

Banned
That is like asking, What is the difference between an alcoholic and a social drinker?

So a NON-Flashaholic doesn't have the "Disease of More"! They are happy with One or Two. Sometimes there is a fine line between a "Hobbyist and one who is obsessed and has an addictive personality"!

Amelia

Enlightened
That is like asking, What is the difference between an alcoholic and a social drinker?

So a NON-Flashaholic doesn't have the "Disease of More"! They are happy with One or Two. Sometimes there is a fine line between a "Hobbyist and one who is obsessed and has an addictive personality"!

Heh heh... but I can stop buying lights any time I want to! :D

1DaveN

Enlightened
In my opinion, it's that flashaholics research, discuss, argue pros and cons, research some more, ponder, and then finally decide what they think is the highest quality, most full-featured product that meets their needs. Flashaholics know all the products, and they know why they made the decision they did, as opposed to someone who goes to Home Depot or the sporting goods store and gets the one that's on sale.

I've had people buy the same lights I have, just accepting my recommendation uncritically. They've got the same things, and they're equally happy, but they're not flashaholics. (I'm not sure I am either. Maybe I'm an FIT (flashoholic in training)).

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, it's that flashaholics research, discuss, argue pros and cons, research some more, ponder, and then finally decide what they think is the highest quality, most full-featured product that meets their needs. Flashaholics know all the products, and they know why they made the decision they did, as opposed to someone who goes to Home Depot or the sporting goods store and gets the one that's on sale.

I've had people buy the same lights I have, just accepting my recommendation uncritically. They've got the same things, and they're equally happy, but they're not flashaholics. (I'm not sure I am either. Maybe I'm an FIT (flashoholic in training)).
I think I'm a FIT, too. I definitely don't have the 'addictive personality' another poster mentioned.

I agree with 1DaveN, it's the knowledge and experience we bring to the flashlight experience. We aren't happy with 'Good Enough'. We are looking for the best value to meet our needs. [Although some of us seem to just want the 'best'. That addictive personality again!] Our needs are specific and detailed, and we use the knowledge and experience we and our fellow members have gained to make our selection. I know, sometimes we sound like Middle Ages scholars arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but we really aren't that bad.

Dknight16

Newly Enlightened
Pay more than 20 times what a typical person thinks a flashlight should cost. And knowing it was some of the best money you ever spent.

jodoma

Newly Enlightened
Most people would never think of carrying the flashlight when buying one-even if they got a nice one. flashaholics tend to carry more than one. Example: My dad asked for a recommendation for a aaa light to use to help read menus, etc. he ended up with a microstream and a Maratac. He still asks me to use my "small light" at restaurants. Lol!

LeBossu

Newly Enlightened
We're geeks, that's all! still kids inside, loving gadgets and playing under the bedsheets!
Well... grown up kids, so we now know better with all the bedsheet stuff, but still, isn't it a blast to have a pocket light saber you can light up at the touch of a button?
Non-flashaholics are more focused on utility only or budget price.

It's the same with cars, for instance. You actually don't need hundreds of horsepower and many people are fine with an average car, just because it takes them from A to B and has good mileage. But life cannot be just that (boring)for a petrolhead.

Qooo

Newly Enlightened
They give you that look of like "it's just a flashlight..."

NO! It's not just a flashlight!

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amelia asks " What sets "Flashaholics" apart from typical flashlight buyers?"

The difference between men and boys are the cost of their toys. The same goes for Flashaholics.

Typical user goes to big box or sporting goods store and purchases a light with visual appeal. He typically doesn't know what features he wants, but more is better, up to a price point of $40 or so. Not usually powered by rechargeable batteries unless the batteries are built in.

The Flashaholic researches different light brands, light features, and what batteries can be used. Unless the light is something small like a DQG, the price of admission starts at $50 and goes up exponentially from there.

Taz80

Enlightened
Flashaholics strive for perfection, the perfect EDC, tint, beam shape, lego, U.I., etc. Which is why we might have a few more lights than strictly necessary. Where as a non flashaholics is perfectly happy with their big box light.

GearHunter

Enlightened
While I was reading another thread here, I started thinking about what it is that makes my view of flashlights different than that of a typical flashlight buyer. What is it about me, and other "flashaholics" that sets us

What do you all think? What makes us different from Joe the electrician who goes down to Home Depot every few months to grab another Maglight for his attic wiring jobs? What is it that really makes us "flashaholics?

Im an electrician, my name isn't Joe nor do I carry a mag light. The light that is always in my pocket whether at work or play set me back $372.00 I reject your stereotype. I depend on my tools to earn a living for me and my family So I use KLINE screw drivers FLUTE meters and HDS lights. The best tools for the job.

FrankFlash

Newly Enlightened
Flashaholics search for the perfect light for different needs. And there can be a lot of different needs which require different flashlights. Fortunately such perfect lights are not available. So the flashaholic goes for the flashlight that comes closest to the required perfection. And each time there comes a new flashlight on the market, this one might be more close to the perfect torch for the specific need and the flashaholic will buy it.
Regards Frank

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Oh that's easy. We're nuts. Or at least about flashlights.

If you're going to pick an obsession or mental condition at least it's pretty harmless (as long as one doesn't end up on the street) and the lights do have a practical use.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I think I'd like to redefine the "...aholic" term to "enthusiast" :) and explore the parallels to other collecting and consuming type hobbies in that context. I'm not addicted the way an alcoholic feels compelled to drink... I'm highly interested in the technology of flashlights and different design options available, and I'd like to experience as many of them as I can. I don't want to own them all, and I don't use them for work like "Joe the Electrician" or Jane the Dr. does... it's more of a toy for me, and the goal is to play with them. A Flashlight enthusiast is like a kid who collects action figures and wants the new characters introduced in the latest movie, or the numismatist who wants to own a particular coin and has no intention of spending it.

I hate to return to alcohol as an example, but I think wine enthusiasts are a good simile... Normal folk will buy a $10-20 bottle of wine and drink it with friends with minimal commentary and discussion about the wine itself. It's purpose is to be consumed and enjoyed, but the focus is on the meal or gathering that it's complementing. Enthusiasts on the other hand will get together to focus on and discuss the wine, buy more expensive bottles and consider it money well spent, learn the lingo so they can converse efficiently with other enthusiasts, collect, debate fiercely which one is better, write and read articles and books about it, etc., etc.