Recommendation for EDC pocket/safety light

filiusincendia

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently looking at the Klarus xt11 for an EDC light. What I like about it is the super bright light that can be used to temporarily disorient someone if needed. I like that it always comes on in HIGH mode no matter what, but does have the lower output settings. My only issue is that from pictures online it looks like it might be a bit big for edc in a pocket.

Do you all recommend anything else that's smaller for pocket carry, high lumen output for safety/defense, high mode always on first, with a dimmer secondary mode?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can Lego a 780lm Quark Tactical Burst Mode light on 1xIMR14500 for a 0.86x3.8" pocket rocket. Or 1xIMR16340 for 3.2", without a pocket clip.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can Lego a 780lm Quark Tactical Burst Mode light on 1xIMR14500 for a 0.86x3.8" pocket rocket. Or 1xIMR16340 for 3.2", without a pocket clip.

That sounds like a good recommendation to me. Read up on the tactical and see if that UI works for you. Basically there are two settings, one with the head tightened and one with the head slightly loosened. Both of these settings are individually programmed to your choice of the available output modes. For your use I would program the head tight position to turbo/burst and program the head loose setting to low or medium for general use. As long as you keep the head in the tight setting the light will always immediately come on in the top mode this way. If you want even extra insurance you could program both settings to turbo/burst and reprogram as needed for lower uses but that is overkill IMO.

Due to the UI it is very easy to use the forward clicky in controlled bursts of light as well without triggering mode changes.

The other option that is coming to mind is to check with vinh.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like a good recommendation to me. Read up on the tactical and see if that UI works for you. Basically there are two settings, one with the head tightened and one with the head slightly loosened. Both of these settings are individually programmed to your choice of the available output modes. For your use I would program the head tight position to turbo/burst and program the head loose setting to low or medium for general use. As long as you keep the head in the tight setting the light will always immediately come on in the top mode this way. If you want even extra insurance you could program both settings to turbo/burst and reprogram as needed for lower uses but that is overkill IMO.

Due to the UI it is very easy to use the forward clicky in controlled bursts of light as well without triggering mode changes.

The other option that is coming to mind is to check with vinh.

I have an XML2 and a XGP2 version of the Quark. For me, I find the XPG2 strobe to be too fast to be at all disorienting. I think it's around 25hz, but just looks like a flickering light that is dimmer than the steady beam on max. YMMV.

The XML2 version has a slower strobe. Probably around 10-12hz or something like that. To me, it's more disorienting. So, I'd recommend getting the tactical version of the Quark with the XML2 head.

That said, I'm not convinced that strobes are a useful defense tool. Maybe if you're a cop that is trained, but probably not to the average layperson. It's more likely to just annoy an attacker. Perhaps it might give you a split second of confusion, but unless you have something else to whip out in that split second, it won't do you any good.

Finally, IIRC 4sevens is no longer able to legally sell the Quark line. (Surefire lawsuit shut them down.) However, you might be able to get one from a 3rd party reseller's existing stock. If so, they are nice lights.

filiusincendia

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I don't know too much about lights and had never heard of the quarks. Reading about them I think the burst mode sounds good. Not being able to buy them legally would explain them being out of stock lol. Bummer

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
My EDC for years has been a Surefire A2 Aviator. The LED ring provides moderate illumination. The main beam is pretty bright. The A2 is the size of an E2 but more flexible since it has two different emitters. I have yet to see another light with the simplicity and flexibility of the A2 in that size or smaller. I have other lights in my backpack and trunk and nightstand that are more flexible or brighter, but they're also significantly larger. The A2 is (to me) a unique combination.

I enhanced mine with a new ring of LEDs from calipsoii, but he isn't making them any more. You might find a few in the sales forums.

I also got a socket to replace the main bulb with a Strion bulb. This is slightly brighter than the Surefire lamp assemblies and a lot less expensive to relamp. This might still be available from FiveMega. If not, the sales fora are your friend.

filiusincendia

Newly Enlightened
You guys are a huge help. So I'm looking at the quark qt2l-x w/ burst mode, one of several eagletac d25, and also the nitecore srt3. Any opinion between the 3?

edcdad

Newly Enlightened
I've carried the Surefire Nitrolen G2 incandescent with a P90 lamp, but still carry the stock P60 when I want to get the full 1 hour run time. This is put in the EDC under one of the straps for short runs. I also carry a Streamlight Microstream in the EDC for secondary light and an Outback Ripper on my person for just immediate area work (under 10 feet around me). I think that the Nitecore SRT3 will be my next purchase to be used for longer overnights and weekends. Although not the only tactical light that can use either CR123 or AA cells, it's pretty versatile. I got to "play" with one a couple weekends ago at a bonfire and really liked it.
Just my two cents, but hope its worth something. :D

Berneck1

Enlightened
You guys are a huge help. So I'm looking at the quark qt2l-x w/ burst mode, one of several eagletac d25, and also the nitecore srt3. Any opinion between the 3?

You can never go wrong with an Eagletac. I have several. Many of them have a "tactical mode" which is simply the highest setting and also strobe.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a QT2L-X on the table next to my recliner, and it's been a solid light so far. Here are some random thoughts:

I was surprised at how small it was when I received it, yet it's large enough to be easily used.
It fits comfortably in all my front jeans pockets, which can't be said of all my 18650 lights.
It's very easy to program the two output levels. It's got a relatively large hotspot with bright spill.
Besides some typical XM-L tint shift, the beam is quite good.
It's easy to change output modes, and it can even be accomplished with one hand with an underhand grip.

The only negative things I can think of to say is that the click switch is quite a bit louder than any other quality light I've ever used, and it gets hot very quickly in boost mode (not surprising considering the output and size).

In addition to CR123s, it works very well with KeepPower 16650s as a rechargeable option.

I've probably dropped it a dozen times onto hardwood flooring so far with no negative affects.

cerbie

Enlightened
I've carried the Surefire Nitrolen G2 incandescent with a P90 lamp, but still carry the stock P60 when I want to get the full 1 hour run time. This is put in the EDC under one of the straps for short runs. I also carry a Streamlight Microstream in the EDC for secondary light and an Outback Ripper on my person for just immediate area work (under 10 feet around me). I think that the Nitecore SRT3 will be my next purchase to be used for longer overnights and weekends. Although not the only tactical light that can use either CR123 or AA cells, it's pretty versatile. I got to "play" with one a couple weekends ago at a bonfire and really liked it.
Just my two cents, but hope its worth something. :D
Illumination Supply still has the M61L and M61LL 219B drop-ins in stock. The M61L would give you a bit more output than the P90, with fair color rendition, while still giving several hours of battery life. They're limited runs, but are great to pair with G2 bodies.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

Between those 3 I would recommend the SRT3. Mode selection is extremely easy, you can instantly rotate the ring to get the output you want. The negative of clicky switches is getting to the mode you want takes several clicks sometimes and isn't as fast or easy to use. Also the benefit is you can select desired brightness level before even turning the light on, great for preserving nighttime vision. Strobe mode is also extremely quick to access, just rotate the ring all the way past the highest brightness and it "clicks" into place. I gave my SRT5 to my wife to try, she knows nothing about flashlights except press a button to turn it on. Without even telling her how to change the brightness she rotated the ring and figured out how to turn it up or down. That's the simplicity of the magnetic rings and why I like them so much. It's a great light and very durable, best option of the 3 in my opinion for ease of use and features.

Last edited: