Question about the hds edc clicky electronic switch

Font2010

Newly Enlightened
I've recently acquired an hds 140 edc which aside from a slightly off centre emitter I am otherwise happy with and after playing around with for a short time have quickly got to grips with the UI.

my question relates to the robustness of the switch. Is it potted like the driver end to withstand shock? I've tried various searches to no avail and can't find any direct references to this. The HDS website refers to fully potted electronics but then makes seperate reference to the electronic switch having gold plated sealed contacts and being hardened to withstand shock etc? Is there something different going off at the tailcap and if so is this as robust as the driver end?

i love the ergonomics of the flashlight and it really does feel solid but I wonder what would happen if it suffered an awkward drop and landed directly on its tail end.

Thanks for reading guys

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a clicky, you can just open it and see for yourself - rotary too, but that's a bit more involved (you need to fish the retaining cable out). The flush button is well protected from drop impact, but I can imagine the raised button might be an issue if the rubber is hard - course you can swap them. Looks like a nice quality clicky, but I see no added protection for it.

Font2010

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I've unscrewed the cap and had a look inside but it just looks like a PCB with sa couple of screws through attaching it to whatever is underneath. Just wondered if this section epoxied like the driver end because if not this seems like an area of weakness especially with an electronic switch that to my mind is protected from impact by nothing more than a thin piece of rubber boot that's sits over it. I know that any clicky light if dropped on its end can be damaged but due to the reputation of the HDS flashlight I expected something more. As stated in the opening thread I have read about the switch being hardened but wondered if anyone could elaborate.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got ya, hope someone more qualified will provide your answer, but if you have a flush tailcap, I honestly wouldn't be concerned with it - in a random drop, it would literally have to hit a rock perfectly to miss the protective tailcap shroud. Anyways, I read though quite a few posts in the HDS threads, and other failure threads, and the HDS's Achilles Heel (if anything) seems to be with electronic glitches in the complex programmable driver and eswitch, and perhaps water/grit ingress on rotaries. But Henry really stands behind his lights, so I have little concern with his products.

nbp

Flashaholic
In probably 20k posts I've read on HDS I can't recall anyone having a switch failure with this switch design. You'll be fine.