P60 for 2XAA

Micklos

Newly Enlightened
I have a Dereelight Javelin with a dead drop-in, and I'm looking for a replacement, but can't seem to find anything. The drop-in in this light is supposed to be a Cree XPG R5, but I only see them rated for a minimum of 3v, yet the torch worked (WHEN it worked) fine on 2 Eneloops at around 2.4V
I can't see to find anything that's a good match, and in the UK. I'll probably just sell this light anyway, so postage from the US is too expensive. I was even tempted to throw a Dealextreme unit in it, but the ones I saw need a 3.5v minimum. Plus, I wouldn't feel right peddling DX stuff. If their lawyer is reading this...Look out behind you!

Their stuff is junk.

Dude! There was, like, a huge wasp behind you! Anyway, any recommendations for a p60 that will run off 2XAA batteries, can be sourced in the UK, and, preferably doesn't cost more than the resale value of the light plus a leather holster would be welcome

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Dereelight Javelin with a dead drop-in, and I'm looking for a replacement, but can't seem to find anything. The drop-in in this light is supposed to be a Cree XPG R5, but I only see them rated for a minimum of 3v, yet the torch worked (WHEN it worked) fine on 2 Eneloops at around 2.4V
I can't see to find anything that's a good match, and in the UK. I'll probably just sell this light anyway, so postage from the US is too expensive. I was even tempted to throw a Dealextreme unit in it, but the ones I saw need a 3.5v minimum. Plus, I wouldn't feel right peddling DX stuff. If their lawyer is reading this...Look out behind you!

Their stuff is junk.

Dude! There was, like, a huge wasp behind you! Anyway, any recommendations for a p60 that will run off 2XAA batteries, can be sourced in the UK, and, preferably doesn't cost more than the resale value of the light plus a leather holster would be welcome

Solarforce offers low voltage P60 dropins (0.8-4.2v). Hope you can find a dealer that stocks it, or perhaps consider buying direct from Solarforce in HK directly. Ask about PWM.

Micklos

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce offers low voltage P60 dropins (0.8-4.2v). Hope you can find a dealer that stocks it, or perhaps consider buying direct from Solarforce in HK directly. Ask about PWM.

Thanks. Found one and ordered. Gonna come to £20 with postage, which will probably be all I can sell the torch for anyway, but I'd rather sell a working torch for a small loss than own a broken torch.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember that the Javelin is kind of fussy when it comes to P60 modules. I tried to order a Solarforce drop-in for mine. And it didn't fit right. You may have better luck, though.

Micklos

Newly Enlightened
Just remember that the Javelin is kind of fussy when it comes to P60 modules. I tried to order a Solarforce drop-in for mine. And it didn't fit right. You may have better luck, though.

I thought they were standardized? Surely the brass slug they are in is standard? If so, I can just screw it into the old reflector. Oddly enough, right after I ordered a replacement, the light started working for the first time in a few months. And when it doesn't, I found I can slap it on the tail and make it work, yet the problem still has to be the module, because I've tried running it outside the chassis. I'd say it was a loose contact, except that, no matter what, it always flashes on briefly when power is applied. So, I think something is loose, but it's part of the driver, not anything before it. It has to be between the input to the driver and the LED itself. Not sure if you can take those things apart, but it'w worth it just to look inside. If I can fix that module, I'll just sell the light with the new one in and keep it until I decide to build something myself. I have access to a lathe, and I've anodised aluminium a few times

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I have plenty of contact issues with my CL1H and DBS v3.
I've not had a p60 drop-in that fits perfectly in the CL1H.
Not even the Dereelight drop-in I have is a perfect fit, as the head doesn't screw all the way down, but leaves a 3 mm gap.
The DBS does not light if the head is fully tightened. Go figure.
The forward clicky switches have been acting up as well, changing modes when I full press.
I've demoted both to a "permission to use carelessly" status, meaning I no longer care what happens to them.
I hope my future kids don't give me problems, lest I, too, toss them around carelessly.