Building a 2,000 lumen workhorse from a 5D maglight

BrassRhino

Newly Enlightened
I do night security and I would like to build my 5 D cell maglight into something producing about 2,000 lumens. I have started doing the research, but had a couple questions. This flashlight is a workhorse, I carry it while doing night security if it is pushing 1,000 to 2,000 lumens how hot is it going to get? I will run it for about 15-20 minutes at a time 8 times a shift. I'll probably have it on 500 or 1,000 lumens most of the time.
I am thinking I will use these batteries and this driver with a Cree LED. Do you know of any problems I might run into? Thanks for your help!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I strongly second the VOB XHP-50 and thats a wrap! Get you a Ultra Clear Lens too. It makes a big difference. Then, I would do a spring mod on the tail by soldering it with some flexible copper mesh wire.

Not to mention, the driver you selected shows a 7 volt min input. You would be at or below that threshold.

Also search up member FiveMega. He has some fun Maglite gear!!

Welcome to the forum.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The VOB at the $70 ish for the XHP50 is going to be hard for you to build for less than that. The heatsink, driver, and LED alone are gonna be more than what he sells the entire drop-in for.

If you want to build your own heatsink. A copper 1in diameter tube which come in 2in length plus a 1in copper plug/cap both can be made to fit together. This route you get a $6 heatsink, but then you need a driver still.

bigC

Latest posts