List of sub-CR2 size lights

magellan

Honorary Aussie
By this I mean small lights taking 10180, 10220, 10280, 14250, etc., batteries.

I collect these lights and have compiled the following list. I'm interested in any I might have missed, or any corrections to my list.

The lights are listed in order of battery size.

Here it is:

10180 Steve Ku 38DD Ti

10180 Steve Ku 40DD BB

10180 Steve Ku 40DD Da

10180 Steve Ku Dogbone

10180 DQG Fairy

10180 DQG Spy

10180 DQG Hobi

10180 Lummi Wee (in Al, NS, SS, etc.)

10180 Veleno Designs Quantum D2 SS

10180 Veleno Helix Zi

10180 Modamag Drake

10220 Steve Ku 44DD Ti

10250 Peak Eiger (in Al, brass, stainless, etc.)

10280 Black Ti Draco

10280 Chrome Draco

10280 MBI-HF

10280 MBI HF-R

10250/10440 MBI HF-R Ti

10280 TnC Nano Lux (in Al, brass, copper, stainless)

10280 TnC Micro-Lux (in Al, brass, copper, stainless, titanium)

10280 Tain Ottavino Damascus

10280 Tain Ottavino Ti

14250 Lummi Raw (in NS, Al, SS, Da)

Any additions, corrections, etc. would be appreciated.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Great, I didn't recall that one. Thanks, Todd!

I seem to have a very vague memory of the name, but that's it. Will put it on the list.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
By this I mean small lights taking 10180, 10220, 10280, 14250, etc., batteries.

I collect these lights and have compiled the following list. I'm interested in any I might have missed, or any corrections to my list.

Out of curiosity - do you have all of these!?!

I've had alot of them, (really only having elected to not do the Nano-lux, but may end up picking one up, would love to hear someone's opinion over PM) but currently only have;

10220 Steve Ku 44DD Ti - on my key chain since it arrived. Fantastic.
10180 Steve Ku 40DD BB - gifted one to Matt of AOTH, still have one
Chrome Draco - second custom light, currently MIA somewhere in my house. I'll put it up for sale when I find it. Great light, just prefer the other two.

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
Sorry to pollute your thread with my illiterate BS and stupid questions Mr. Magellan Sir, but I know you are the expert in regards to lights this size. So with that being said, is the 14250 battery close to the same size as a CR2? If so, will the 14250 work in a CR2 size light?
Thank you for your time Sir. Your knowledge and expertise is definitely appreciated.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Out of curiosity - do you have all of these!?!

I've had alot of them, (really only having elected to not do the Nano-lux, but may end up picking one up, would love to hear someone's opinion over PM) but currently only have;

10220 Steve Ku 44DD Ti - on my key chain since it arrived. Fantastic.
10180 Steve Ku 40DD BB - gifted one to Matt of AOTH, still have one
Chrome Draco - second custom light, currently MIA somewhere in my house. I'll put it up for sale when I find it. Great light, just prefer the other two.

I have most of them but am still missing a few. Altogether I have 22 of these lights. The ones I'm missing are:

DQG Hobi (intend to order soon--only problem is the website is hard to figure out)
Drake
Peak Eiger
All the MBI models

I'm also missing some of the metals variations offered for the Lummi Wee and the same for the TnC lights, since they're offered in so many metals, but I hope to fill in those gaps eventually.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Sorry to pollute your thread with my illiterate BS and stupid questions Mr. Magellan Sir, but I know you are the expert in regards to lights this size. So with that being said, is the 14250 battery close to the same size as a CR2? If so, will the 14250 work in a CR2 size light?
Thank you for your time Sir. Your knowledge and expertise is definitely appreciated.

Not at all. It's actually a very good question. It's really a very confusing issue, especially for the neophyte flashlight user and I've seen other threads here discussing it. I'm still learning myself so if I say anything wrong the experts here can feel free to correct me.

The 14250 is slightly smaller in width and length than a CR2 battery, which is technically a 15270 in size. A 14250 is actually a 1/2 length AA size battery, but is 3.7V and not 1.4V like an AA alkaline or a 1.2V AA NiMH.

Similarly, a 3.0V CR2 battery is actually a different chemistry from a 3.7V 15270, although they're the same size. The 15270 is a lithium cobalt oxide battery at 3.7 volts and is rechargeable. The CR2 is a primary battery at 3.0V and is not rechargeable. You will often see these sold in drugstores by Energizer or Duracell, and are typically used in modern point and shoot cameras.

This gets confusing because you will see RCR2 batteries offered that are rechargeable and are 3.0V. I have some Orbtronic and Ultrafire cells like this. Both come in exactly the same color green wrapper, so it's easy to mistake the Ultrafire batteries for the Orbtronic. (Ultrafire, Trustfire, etc., batteries are not exactly considered high quality on this forum). I believe these are lithium iron phosphate chemistry. I have also read that some 3.0V RCR2 rechargeables are actually lithium cobalt 3.7V types with an internal resister to lower the output voltage. I'd like to confirm that as I've only seen it discussed here once.

So the bottom line is that, if a battery is labelled a CR2, it should always be 3.0V. An RCR2 rechargeable, from what I've seen, is also 3.0V, which they get using a different chemistry. A 15270 such as the ones from AW, a quality maker, is 3.7V. It basically all starts with the chemistry. If you know the chemistry associated with a particular voltage you can often figure it out. But often you don't know what chemistry a battery is using unless they say so.

The situation isn't helped by the fact that you will see CR2/15270 batteries sold on the web.

It's the same for AAA/10440 size batteries, except the AAA is going is going to be an alkaline or NiMH at 1.2 or 1.5V and the 10440 is going to be a lithium cobalt oxide at 3.7V. Some flashlights, like the Peak Eiger, are able to use both. Some of the Peak and TnC lights do require the higher voltage of a 10440.

My impression is that most consumers who use CR2 batteries are using them in their cameras. If someone has a real CR2 or sub-CR2 size flashlight, this implies a more savvy flashlight user who is likely to have some knowledge of the issues relating to lithium ion batteries. For example, you knew enough to ask a question because you understood it's a somewhat complicated issue. Again, even knowing the right question to ask in this case implies a more knowledgeable user, one who is already learning about this potentially problematic but fascinating area.

As this post is already getting rather long I'll have something to say about whether the 14250s can be used in a 15270 light in my next post.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Hi DirtyWageGuy,

On your question about whether a 14250 will work in a CR2 size light, yes, sometimes they will work, mainly if the light has a tailcap with a spring like my 4Sevens Quark Mini MLR2, my Nitecore Sens Mini, and my Nitecore EZ. This is because the 14250 is a couple of millimeters shorter than the CR2/15270, but it still makes contact with the spring; it just doesn't compress it as much. There may be other lights where it will work that I don't know about. I think it will work in my Lummi Orb CR2 light, but I don't have one in front of me right now, but I'm looking at the 14250 version which does have a tail spring and it works fine in that.

However, since the 14250 battery is 3.7V and not 3.0V, you have to make sure the light is rated to take the higher voltage. Officially my Quark Mini isn't so rated but I and other members on the forum have tried them without disastrous results. There's still concern though that the emitter and driver circuit board are being pushed too hard, which might shorten longevity. Me, I usually run 3.0V batteries but if I do put a 3.7V in I just don't run it on high for too long because of the heat buildup which you can easily feel.

In so-called "battery crusher" type lights without a spring a battery that's not exactly the right length might not work because there's no spring. But you could put in a small washer or spacer if you really needed it to work.

Those were really good questions. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
Thank you for the info Sir! Exactly what I was looking for and some! You broke it down like a damn scientist for sure, talkin about the different molecular structures of batteries and what not, man I'm impressed how much you know about the subject and I can't thank you enough!
You rock!:rock:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
You're welcome DWG! And much of that knowledge came from hanging out here and reading all the posts by the many expert CPF members. Three cheers for the CPF!

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'll add to this post, as I think of more ...

Peak Shasta

Peak Baltic

Peak 2xLR44

Peak 10180

Peak 10250

Peak 10280

Peak 14250

PhotonFanatic LPK

Photon ( & "Fauxton" )

Photon ReX

Lummi/Orb Fliklite

TnC Keylux

TnC Micro-Flex

Nitecore Tube

ThruNite TiKey

TiFli

Pelican 1810

Pelican 1830 L4

Pelican 1990 MityLite 3N

Tekna Micro Lite

eGear PICO

Streamlight Nano

TranquillityBase 2/3AA custom

Klarus Mi X5

LED Lenser V10

Streamlight Stylus

Aunoc AAAA

... note that these are not in order of size, though :)

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Thanks, Archimedes, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll add those to my list.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Glad you enjoyed it. That was quite a list.

Now I need to get to work finding them!

Plus I'll have another thread soon that I'm going to post, which is for CR2 size lights.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Glad you enjoyed it. That was quite a list.

Now I need to get to work finding them!

Some of those I listed may be difficult or near-impossible to acquire.

I've been looking for a TiKey and TiFli for years ... :(

... and the Peak 2xLR44 is mythical :shrug:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Some of those I listed may be difficult or near-impossible to acquire.

I've been looking for a TiKey and TiFli for years ... :(

... and the Peak 2xLR44 is mythical :shrug:

Yes. I'm not expecting to ever own many of those. But if it were too easy I might get bored. :)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Just an update, I recently picked up a Drake, two stainless steel Peak Eigers, one with the original narrow optic and the other with the mule head, a brass Peak Eiger, a MBI HF-R in titanium, and an HF-R red anodized aluminum model, which plugs a few more gaps in my collection. I also picked up a real oddity because of the battery it uses, a Coast V-16 Penlight, which uses the tiny BR435 3V battery. I include it here because it's a cylindrucal battery, not a coin type. It's a very thin, maybe 2 mm wide cylinder with about a 1/4 inch pin at the top (sorry about mixing measurements :)). This brings my total to 28 different models and variations in the sub-CR2 size class. :naughty:

Dang, still 2 short of 30!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
....I also picked up a real oddity because of the battery it uses, a Coast V-16 Penlight, which uses the tiny BR435 3V battery. I include it here because it's a cylindrucal battery, not a coin type. It's a very thin, maybe 2 mm wide cylinder with about a 1/4 inch pin at the top (sorry about mixing measurements :))....

Interesting battery, a whole fifty milliamp-hours ... :ohgeez:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
LOL

Yes, this is probably the wimpiest light I have. I think a Mag Solitaire is bright by comparison.