First EDC flashlight, help!

chizzholm

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, this is my first post on here. I've been reading through the forums for a week or two and decided to join, seems like a very great community. So I know you've guys probably seen the "help me find the best edc light " post 1069 times... lol. But I just have questions about two lights which I've narrowed it down to and any other suggestions on similar lights would be muchly appreciated :)

First a little about me.. EDC is a new interest of mine, I've just began getting into this addictive hobby a few months ago and so far I find myself to be a minimalist. I almost exclusively wear jeans all year round, cargo shorts in the summer, and i'm carrying, Benchmade Mini Grip OR Spyderco Delica 4 clipped to my right front pocket; my wallet (waiting for my Recycled Firefighter Sergeant in the mail :D) in my front right; Fisher Spacepen in 5th pocket (change pocket); Burt's Bee' front left; iPhone 5c front left; and my keys are on my rear belt loop. Having my knife clipped to my pocket and my keys hanging off my belt loop, I'd like to carry a flashlight in my pocket, and have it out of sight.

With that being said I feel something I'm lacking is a nice, compact, bright, LED flashlight! Sounds easy enough.. Then I began reading these forums and looking around online, and I've quickly noticed it'll be no easy choice.. lol. Hence why I'm now here to get advice from you fine ladies and gentlemen that seem to know your stuff about torches!

Some things i'm looking for are: clicky button prefered (although I've never used a twisty head, opinions?), moonlight mode, AA or rechargeable cr123 preferred, small enough to carry inside a pocket, decent brightness, and memory.

Fenix E12:
This was my first choice of a torch, it has a decent lumen output, nice streamline build, its small enough, no clip, it takes an AA battery which is a big plus for me as cr123 batteries are expensive around here.. I like its price of only $30 too. If it had a moonlight mode, was a bit brighter, had a memory and was a little shorter I think this would be the one.

Olight S10r Baton:
My second choice which I came across last night while browsing the forums. I love the fact this light has a max output of 400 lumens, a moonlight mode, memory, magnetic bottom, option of pocket clip if i find out that is the way i wish to carry it. It being rechargeable is a big plus for me too, since its a cr123 light.

My questions to the candlepower community are:
How do the two lights compare in size? I've read the specs but a picture of the two lights, or personal opinion would be nice.
How about brightness? I know the S10R's output over doubles the E12, but is it worth it? Keeping in mind that this will be my one and only flashlight.
Battery life?

Open to any suggestions on any other lights as I'm sure there is a ton that I'm missing! Preferably in the price range somewhere between the E12 and S10R. I'm also interested about cr123 lights, if everything else sounds right, I'm sure I could bite the bullet and pay an extra few bucks every so often for cr123 batteries :)

Thanks!
Chizzholm

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
Please go to "Recommend me a light" and post,someone will help you

brickfollett

Newly Enlightened
Personally I would opt for an 18650 battery flashlight. Even though it's not the class of light your considering, a fenix pd35 is always a top choice. I wear mine all the time to work, school and every where in between, clipped to the left pocket. Tight clip, comfortable and super bright. Has memory and relatively accessible strobe. I own two, one modded by vinhnguyen54 for a tighter beam, throws a bit better than stock pd35 for my use (primarily shining on pallets at work 15-30 feet up to see what's on it)

I also owned an eagletac d25c2, which is dual cr123 and is extremely bright for its size. Lots of strobe options too. Significantly smaller than the pd35. It took a bit to get used to the pd35, but once I did, it was well worth it

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might I suggest the Zebralight SC32w or regular SC32? Has great moonlight options which will last for multiple days, or weeks and great brightness at high levels. Works with primary or rechargeable 123 batteries, is extremely compact and has a great pocket clip. Tint is good and I've been very impressed with it so far. They're a little pricey at around $64 shipped but well worth the money. Has instant access to moonlight, strobe and turbo from off and UI is very intuitive. Also has battery voltage checker which is useful for rechargeable 123 batteries. Really can't say anything bad about it, and if you want a larger light the SC52 or 62 models are just as good giving you AA or 18650 options.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go 18650.
If only someone had told me to skip the whole RCR123 phase,
I couldn't have saved hundreds of dollars,
before I found the EDC I was always looking for.
Zebralight SC62