New 1AA luxeon flashlight, Luxeon Sandwiches,more!

Zman

Enlightened
Ok, maybe someone has seen this before, but look at THIS! They have sandwiches with luxeon emitters, they have a 1AA with a switch on the end and the suggested retails are pretty reasonable!
By the way some of this stuff looks extremely similar to the work by our own experts. One of the circuits claims to have 'moon' mode. The lettering on the sandwich looks a ton like the ARC/Lambda sandwich in my Micro illuminator.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My God, where did these people come from ?

I am shocked, whatever. This is going to turn some heads in the industry.

To much to cover in a minute or so. TWO one watt side emmiters in a PR base !!!!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, ain't that the truth.

Talk about one upmanship. This will cause WAVES that will wash a lot of people away !

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fizzle - crack - smoke. If they are driving that 1W at 350mA it's going to get HOT. Their sandwich from the looks plugs into the existing minimag bulb pins - no heatsink there...

That 2 Luxeon PR thing will melt down if it's also run at 350mA per Luxeon. No heatsinking either.

100,000 hours life - yeah - not at the temps those things are going to be running at...

But, it is interesting to see another company on the scene...

jmho,
george.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great link!
I wonder if that duallie Luxeon SE beastie is available in red? It would be nice if the 10mm light was available in red also. A Luxeon single AA is the question everyone has asked and nobody has answered...until now. 2004 looks better and better...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!

1 Watter using only a single AA - the TerraLUX MiniMax-1AA

They have TWO models - MM1-1AA based on the MiniStar1 TLE-4 and the MM2-1AA based on their MiniStar2 TLE-5.
From their blurb the MM2/MiniStar2 (LE-5) is supposed to be "brighter".

BUT they don't seem to give any specs for runtimes or level of brightness........

So anyone with experience of these things?

scuba

Enlightened
Their team seems quite interesting...when you click on "meet the team" in " about Terra Lux"...

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think these gentlemen are "Mag-lite" killers for sure.

This is NOT a bunch of good ole boys drinking beer around a campfire.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: New 1AA luxeon flashlight, Luxeon Sandwiches,m

Those are nice lights that are filling a real need. However, no $29.95 light can be a Minimag killer. You can't kill a $10 product with a $30 product no matter how good the $30 product is. They're just different market segments.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New 1AA luxeon flashlight, Luxeon Sandwiches,m

paul- probably right, but Mag lives on bulb replacements, etc. This is going to be MOST interesting.

If this bunch has the financing, they may do something very large.

red_robby

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
red_robby said:
looks like someone has been taking notes...and keeping very busy!

[/ QUOTE ]
what i meant was,
dosn't it seem a little odd that most of these lights
are based on some form of cpf mod ?
it does to me...

Mrd 74

Enlightened
red robby
Of course these lights are based on cpf mods,the best flashlight designers in the world hang out here.Some of our fellow members are the pioneers of the industry.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red,
Yes, it seems rather odd that it looks that way...but, if you are going to get inspiration, do it at the CPF. I will be going for the 10mm red single AA (if it is waterproof) and a red Luxeon 2D if it becomes available.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I'll say it again - NO THERMAL MANAGEMENT - unless they underdrive the Luxeon those puppies are going to be screaming hot.

Their website and credentials are more impressive than their product. The expertise of the 3 chiefs does not appear to have any connection with a driver board.

A real company with money behind it would have links to their investors. A whois search shows the company name registered to the CEO - not even a proxy. They don't even list a business address - just a P.O. box. Working out of garage if you ask me...

george.