The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preon Penlight Burnt Orange on Clearance! $30 once they are gone they are gone!

Default Re: Preon Penlight Burnt Orange on Clearance! $30 once they are gone they are gone!

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc007 View Post
    You failed to address the other point. For me, it was even worse than it coming apart in my pocket. I had it on the outside of my pocket for easy access, and I lost half of the light. The entire tailcap assembly (switch and half the body) fell completely off. An expensive lesson. Either the switch needs to be dramatically harder to push, or the threads need to have some added resistance to turning. Simply rotating the cap is NOT a good solution, even if you don't mind the extra step before using it. You may think it will be OK, but it is only a matter of time...I don't EDC it any more. It was a disappointment for me, simply because of that issue. Too bad, I really liked the light otherwise.
    I am suggesting you rotate the HEAD, not the tail cap. Please pm/email us about your missing components, we would like to take care of you.

Thank you
    Reid

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Preon Penlight Burnt Orange on Clearance! $30 once they are gone they are gone!

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    I am suggesting you rotate the HEAD, not the tail cap. Please pm/email us about your missing components, we would like to take care of you.

Thank you
    Reid
    Foursevens has great customer service, that's why I remain hopeful that you'll release more lights with neutral and warm tints. I've got a black Preon 2 Nichia 219B, and I love it (with a Streamlight MicroStream rubber boot). I carry this light Monday-Friday in my work slacks. I wish to see another run so I can grab a titanium one. I either don't use, or have sold all my other Foursevens lights (had 5, down to 2) due to the tint. I'd love to see more 219A, 219B, and 4000k-4500k Cree LEDs.

Yeah, that is actually what I was doing. Rotating the head relative to the body/clip. Sorry for the confusion.

While I appreciate the offer, this happened ages ago. I called it an expensive lesson because I did end up buying a whole new light. It wasn't a small missing part...half the light fell completely off. And I wouldn't call it defective, really, rather I view it as a design flaw. It is something that you have to watch out for...and lights that you have to worry about losing or constantly running down the batteries are not much fun. It might be OK for most people...but for my uses, it just didn't work well.

If I had known FourSevens would be that helpful, I would have contacted the company at the time of the loss. Water under the bridge at this point. Thank you for your response nonetheless.

Are both getting discontinued (as both are on clearance)?

Why?

I have one as my EDC and it's awesome, but now I gotta scramble up money for a lifetime supply to account for accidents/losses years from now

I have just figured out a way to help combat the problem of the light coming apart when locked out. I wrapped a few layers of teflon tape around the threads and now it is a little harder to turn. I should try wrapping even more tape but I didn't have time to do that today at work.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Got mine today. Solid feel to it.. Nice threads. I will be carrying mine in a shirt or jacket pocket, the best place for penlights, so accidental activation will not be an issue. I note that it takes some force to activate. I guess that could be called a relatively hard press button. Did some basic light meter tests using fresh Kirkland sAlkaline, and Eneloops.

Alkalines on high measured 24 on my meter
    Eneloops charged to 1.44 volts showed 25.
    Eneloops I had that were showing 1.33 volts showed 25.

Selfbuilt had observed that he was getting a significantly higher lumen output on high using Alkalines, compared to Eneloops. I did not see that using bounce with a lightmeter. The head gets hot fast in high mode.

Bill

Seems like the entire Penlight line, regardless of color, is being discontinued - it doesn't show up on 47s site anymore (aside from clearance) .

Yeah, I only use this for shirt pocket carry too, and perhaps a bag/briefcase with dedicated pen slots.

Interesting tidbit since this light is rated for 0.9-3V - low becomes sub-lumen (0.3-0.5 range) on a single Eneloop with current draw ~7.5ma, so in a pinch, you can stretch its runtime to ~ 200 hrs. Med stays the same (I get 18-25 lms depending upon sample), while max tops out at ~75 lms.

On 2 Eneloops (that have been sitting for > 6 months), my 2 burnt orange samples meter at 180 and 190 max or ~20-30 lms less than my SC52 "280" mode.... this is consistent with Selfbuilt (on a relative basis).

Post Re: Preon Penlight Burnt Orange on Clearance! $30 once they are gone they are gone!

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Seems like the entire Penlight line, regardless of color, is being discontinued - it doesn't show up on 47s site anymore (aside from clearance) .
    It starts to look like we have a pattern developing... Preons have been sold out color by color, too, there are just the black ones available any more (+limited edition green).
    In God we trust, all others bring data.

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post

Yeah, I only use this for shirt pocket carry too, and perhaps a bag/briefcase with dedicated pen slots.

Interesting tidbit since this light is rated for 0.9-3V - low becomes sub-lumen (0.3-0.5 range) on a single Eneloop with current draw ~7.5ma, so in a pinch, you can stretch its runtime to ~ 200 hrs. Med stays the same (I get 18-25 lms depending upon sample), while max tops out at ~75 lms.

On 2 Eneloops (that have been sitting for > 6 months), my 2 burnt orange samples meter at 180 and 190 max or ~20-30 lms less than my SC52 "280" mode.... this is consistent with Selfbuilt (on a relative basis).
    How do you make it run off a single? dummy AAA?

Quote Originally Posted by AFearlessBirdOfParadise View Post
    How do you make it run off a single? dummy AAA?
    Yes.... I keep a piece of tinfoil in my wallet to make battery spacers and dummy cells w/ $-bills. Hehe, come to think of it, in a real pinch, I think this penlight could give the Paklite a run for its money - ie, ~450 hrs from a 9V

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Esko View Post
    It starts to look like we have a pattern developing... Preons have been sold out color by color, too, there are just the black ones available any more (+limited edition green).
    Maybe they'll clearance the limited green and titanium Preons. Then I'd be forced to buy a few, I missed out on the titanium 219B Preons. I'd love to get a few modded with Nichia and XP-L.

The green would be for my wife, her favorite color is green.

Quote Originally Posted by Esko View Post
    No plans to discontinue the Preon's we just elimated yellow from the colors!

Thanks
    Reid

Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    Maybe they'll clearance the limited green and titanium Preons. Then I'd be forced to buy a few, I missed out on the titanium 219B Preons. I'd love to get a few modded with Nichia and XP-L.

The green would be for my wife, her favorite color is green.
    Shoot me a email maybe I can help you out! Reid@4sevens.com

No plans to discontinue the titanium, when toxic green sells out its done.

Thanks
    Reid

I'm not sure what's going on with your website, but there are a bunch of Blackvue products listed among your lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryp View Post
    I'm not sure what's going on with your website, but there are a bunch of Blackvue products listed among your lights.
    Fixed, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks
    Reid

Lost all will power when the Mocha's went on sale, got two. Love this little light, neat form factor. Beam is what you would expect from an orange peel reflector smaller than a Cheerio, has a hotspot, but it is HUGE - very useful for what I will use this sort of light for. High is more of a burst feature in my opinion, as evidenced by the 22 minute run time and the heat generated in the narrow head, but it gives the wide beam a lot of throw via brute force. It actually tailstands on the button, but you need a good surface and have to balance it carefully. From the pictures I thought it might be a bit big to carry in a shirt pocket like a pen, but it is definitely not, size and weight are great for this.

Did not care for the level of green tint in one of my two samples, so I added a tiny Pale Gold Lee filter to it, and it is a pretty neutral tint now, very nice. Just a tip, for a while I thought for sure my switch was wonky, mode skipping, changing modes if I just wiggled the button or tapped on the light, but would not change from high by accident once there. Make sure the main joint in the tube is good and tight. That got just a bit loose and wreaked havoc. The upside of that is that if you give it a quarter turn loose, you have full lockout, as mentioned. I like the approach Lynx Arc used for adding thread retention with teflon tape if you are going to carry it this way. I have used that on a few of my twisty lights that were too loose also. In my shirt pocket, I don't see any threat of accidental activation.

Thanks for the great deal, FourSevens! Now I have these to compliment my other 20+ FourSevens lights

No plans to discontinue the Preon's we just elimated yellow from the colors!
    Sorry, my mistake. Other colors are in stock indeed.

I do believe that the titanium P1 has been sold out for months, though.

In God we trust, all others bring data.

Quote Originally Posted by lytumup View Post
    How does one find the CPF discount code?

Many thanks.
    I found this old thread with some codes.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...scount-for-you!

hope it helps

Flashaholic*

Shoot me a email maybe I can help you out! Reid@4sevens.com

Thanks
    Reid
    I just saw this, but I did end up getting a Titanium Preon. If I can get it modified (have to find someone who can do this) with a Nichia 219A or XP-L 4000k I'll end up getting more.

I was carrying my Orange Preon Penlight as a backup light while on vacation. I carried it for about 1 hour to the grocery store in my back pocket. I got back to the room, the light was on, on medium and warm. I didn't carry it for the rest of the trip.

It's a shame that such a nice looking and performing light had a big functionality issue like this.

I carried it for a week about 18 months ago in my front pocket and didn't have too many problems, but I think it came on once or twice in that week, but I was able to notice it and turn it off before it wore down the batteries.
    "For every good deed, there is an equal an opposite bad deed."

Is it possible to unscrew the two pieces so as to lock-out the ability to turn on?

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

never hurts to buy another

Said the bartender to the lush...

(But that's okay. We love enablers.)
    Last edited by KeepingItLight; 07-06-2015 at 04:45 PM.
    Prince plays George Harrison's masterpiece While My Guitar Gently Weeps. R.I.P.
    Great vocals & guitar by LeAnn Rimes & Joss Stone as they cover Gershwin's Summertime.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Is it possible to unscrew the two pieces so as to lock-out the ability to turn on?

~ Chance
    sure you can twist the center part 1/4 turn to lock it out but the threads are so smooth and loose that in a pocket it can either retighten it up or loosen it to the point you have two halves of a light in your pocket.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

When I have mine clipped in dress pants pocket I have been unscrewing it just enough for the light to go out, after having a couple accidental activations. This seems to work fairly well. So I turn it on/off with the twist and soft tap the switch for mode changes. I have not had it either tighten back up or loosen considerably using this method.

Flashaholic*

Black and red Delta Tech Ops Penlights are now on clearance. The brown is tempting, but I don't think there's an easy fix for the tail switch like the Preon.
    Last edited by eraursls1984; 07-08-2015 at 10:46 AM.

To give more drag on a twist action, a bit of appropriately sized heat shrink tubing heated just so works for me on lights that accidental on with twist lockout.

Or wrap the threads with a bit of teflon plumbers tape, that's what I use. Makes threads nice and smooth, but firm, and essentially eliminates wear.

I've been L@@King high and low for an orange Preon P2. If anyone's willing to part with theirs, please let me know.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

It's coming up on a year later and I'm still L@@King. Somebody, please, sell me an Orange Preon P2.

~ Chance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12