*NEW* ThruNite Ti 4 Penlight

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.thrunite.com/ti-4-penlight/

Te6P1B2.png

Specifications:

LED: Cree XP-G2 LED with a lifespan of 20+ years of run time
Mode & Runtime (Tested with 2*Ni-MH/900mAh): Firefly(0.3 lumens, 137hours), Low (24 lumens, 12hours), High (252 lumens, 51minutes), Strobe (252 lumens, 90 minutes)
Battery: 2xAAA Batteries(not included)
Peak Beam Intensity: 1120 cd
Beam Distance: 67 m
Weight: 22.3 g (without battery)
Dimension: 132.9 x 14.2 mm

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
That seems like a lot of lumens from 2*AAA Ni-MH batteries. My Mini Maglite Led Pro is definitely superseded by items that are the same size, but significantly more lumens; and same lumens, but significantly smaller size. Looks like a might right handy item, thanks for the alert.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Ya, that's RIDICULOUS mode-spacing

I've looked at other of their lights they all seem to have this super low mode, a medium low and all out mode. I have an Olight O'pen and the 5/50/180 lumens mode spacing is pretty close to optimal. A firefly mode could be nice but to be honest I use it for work not for going to the bathroom at night and 5 lumens is ok for that.

chuckhov

Enlightened
I'm all for a 'moonlight' mode (1-2 lms), but have no use for sub-lumen firefly modes.

On the light in discussion, perhaps 2 - 40 - 252 would be more to 'my' liking. - This is Only IMO.

I shant be buying any of their smaller lights with their current modes and spacing.

Pleasing Them All, is an impossible task for any maker.

Thanks,
-Chuck

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good, but... but... BUT.... 24 to 250 lumens in a pen light? No 75-90 lumen mode? What the heck are they thinking? I mean I don't do sales or anything so maybe just having that crazy number sells more lights than more reasonable mode spacing, but what do I know. Seriously, there are SO many instances where 24 lumens isn't nearly enough and 250 is way too much. And I know the tech has improved, but not to the level where 252 isn't going to drain 2 aaa eneloops super fast. I think they could keep 3 modes, but change the 24 lumen mode to maybe 50-60. And another mode quibble. I know a lot of you like the sub 1 lumen levels and it can be useful, but I think 2-3 is actually a level I'd use far more than that where it's usable to actually walk around your house easily and quickly in the dark.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a medium is also important because you sometimes want more than 24 lumens, but want a better runtime than 252 lumens is going to give you on 2xAA. A good example of this would be the need to navigate a rough trail in complete darkness.

Javora

Enlightened
Looks like the modes change by twisting the head 1/8 turn then turning back. Nice looking light, although I question the need for a strobe on a pen light. I've found that sub lumen is perfect for walking around in a dark room without affecting night vision.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a medium is also important because you sometimes want more than 24 lumens, but want a better runtime than 252 lumens is going to give you on 2xAA. A good example of this would be the need to navigate a rough trail in complete darkness.

Yup. Basically what I was saying above. And honestly on a light like this 24 lumens SHOULD BE the medium mode. So maybe a 3 lumen low, 24 medium, 100 lumen high and then this new crazy 252 (which is just crazy for run time for aaa cells in my opinion) for burst mode.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Yup. Basically what I was saying above. And honestly on a light like this 24 lumens SHOULD BE the medium mode. So maybe a 3 lumen low, 24 medium, 100 lumen high and then this new crazy 252 (which is just crazy for run time for aaa cells in my opinion) for burst mode.
The ~180 (150 for nimh) lumen mode of my O'pen is very useful IMO as it appears to me about 2-3 notches brighter thant the ~50 (45 for nimh) lumen medium mode and can throw a good distance or light a dark area under or behind something in a well lit area (daylight perhaps). I use the high mode on my penlight a few times a week for up to 5 minutes at a time figuring I can do that about 6-8 times before my batteries are depleted. A 250 lumen mode probably gives you 3-4 times before depleting your light and even after 2 times at 5 minutes each the runtimes of the lower modes is probably going to be nearly halved. Perhaps that is why they chose a lower medium mode to compensate for the usage of the high mode?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firefly(0.3 lumens, 137hours), Low (24 lumens, 12hours), High (252 lumens, 51minutes), Strobe (252 lumens, 90 minutes)

Great post, links, pics, specs, and no nonsense :)
I think those 3 Lumen levels are excellent! a true firefly for full dark situations, a nice bright medium, and a killer high if you really need it to see across the street.. whats not to like?:)

AFearlessBirdOfParadise

Newly Enlightened
Would rather it be moonlight - 5 - 50 - max without the strobe.

Basically a brighter FourSevens/Olight Penlight (which I EDC) but with a moonlight.

With that all said $26 is a pretty good deal for it, and I'll probably pick it up because I like penlights and the price is right.

Strobe is kind of hidden so that's at least something. Spacing, as discussed is kind of crazy.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Would rather it be moonlight - 5 - 50 - max without the strobe.

Basically a brighter FourSevens/Olight Penlight (which I EDC) but with a moonlight.

With that all said $26 is a pretty good deal for it, and I'll probably pick it up because I like penlights and the price is right.

Strobe is kind of hidden so that's at least something. Spacing, as discussed is kind of crazy.

I won't pick it up because I cannot afford to. I'm a bit sceptical of the 250 lumen mode claims as my Olight O'pen does 150 with nimh for 40 minutes using the same XPG-2 emitter I don't see how it is possible that it can be almost twice the lumens for 50% longer runtime and also have decent runtimes on low modes also I suggest people wait for a review on this as I am thinking the high output mode numbers are way inflated.

MIKES250R

Enlightened
I ordered one just for the hell of it and the fact that I have a boat load of alkaline AAA batteries that I came by unexpectedly. I know, I Too wish it had more of a medium output, but is has 3 output levels firefly which is very low, then low which is 24 lumens maybe like medium LOL then Hi 250 lumens. Yeah, Yeah, I am skeptical of claimed max output too, but for $25 its half the price of a Preon so what the heck. When it comes in I will keep you guys posted.

MIKES250R

Enlightened
I received my Ti4 pen light a couple of days ago and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised.

Pros:

Fit and finish are high quality
Firefly or lowest mode is very low
Three brightness levels plus strobe
Tint is pleasing and very natural
Levels can be activated by clicky or unscrewing head

Cons:

Light is bright but not 250 lumens
Always starts out in lowest mode
Slight flicker in fire fly mode
Finish is very smooth and slippery
No memory
Clicky is noisy

All in all I would rate this a solid 8/10. I would definitely recommend this purchase if someone needs a 2xAAA pen light. Well worth $25!

Last edited:

SlimJim16v

Newly Enlightened
I hate when lights are called Titanium or Ti something, when they're not actually made of Titanium. Why?