*NEW* Klarus FL1A - Multi-Colour Diffuser Light

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=185

dZeXyBF.png

Amelia

Enlightened
No moonlight mode. Strike 1.
No low-output on red, to preserve night vision. Strike 2.
Yet ANOTHER RGB light with no color mixing. Strike 3.

Are all these light companies sharing the same retarded business plan and playbook? Why do we see the same things over and over again, with no innovation? What is this... the 5th RGB light released in the last year with the same tired old high-output single-level modes and flashy cop blinker idiocy? Oh wait - this one has flashing red and green instead of red and blue! How groundbreaking. Yawn.

Manufacturers: Red mode is for ONE thing - to preserve your night vision once your eyes adapt to the dark. This ONLY works if the red is at a VERY low level! STOP GIVING US RED LIGHTS WITH 10+ LUMENS!!!!! They are WORTHLESS FOR THIS!!!!

Also, when is even ONE of these light companies actually going to INNOVATE, and release an RGB light that lets you mix the 3 colors to get new colors? IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!! Computer monitors have been doing it for more than 30 years now! Come on - I'll buy at least 3, won't SOMEBODY please just do it already???

Sorry for the ranting. Too many disappointments today - I didn't need a flashlight company to disappoint me too.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the advertising the light is meant for "camping and signaling".

Seems obvious the intent of the design is for the red and green to be used for signaling... not as a low-brightness night light.

GnR

Newly Enlightened
No moonlight mode. Strike 1. No low-output on red, to preserve night vision. Strike 2. Yet ANOTHER RGB light with no color mixing. Strike 3. Are all these light companies sharing the same retarded business plan and playbook? Why do we see the same things over and over again, with no innovation? What is this... the 5th RGB light released in the last year with the same tired old high-output single-level modes and flashy cop blinker idiocy? Oh wait - this one has flashing red and green instead of red and blue! How groundbreaking. Yawn. Manufacturers: Red mode is for ONE thing - to preserve your night vision once your eyes adapt to the dark. This ONLY works if the red is at a VERY low level! STOP GIVING US RED LIGHTS WITH 10+ LUMENS!!!!! They are WORTHLESS FOR THIS!!!! Also, when is even ONE of these light companies actually going to INNOVATE, and release an RGB light that lets you mix the 3 colors to get new colors? IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!! Computer monitors have been doing it for more than 30 years now! Come on - I'll buy at least 3, won't SOMEBODY please just do it already??? Sorry for the ranting. Too many disappointments today - I didn't need a flashlight company to disappoint me too.
I second this to 100%! If it is like that it's just a colorfull kids-funlight.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are other uses for red. My parents have seen quite a variety of lights...and they both ended up choosing a Nitecore HC50 and a Sunwayman C21C, for the dual output white/red. They use red to navigate their yard at night without disturbing animals...they have no use for a super low red mode, as that would not allow them to see well enough to move about safely. And even low levels of white seem to trick some animals into thinking daylight has arrived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False-consensus_effect

"In psychology, the false-consensus effect or false-consensus bias is a cognitive bias whereby a person tends to overestimate the extent to which their beliefs or opinions are typical of those of others. There is a tendency for people to assume that their own opinions, beliefs, preferences, values, and habits are normal and that others also think the same way that they do."

In short, stating your preferences is fine. But you cannot assume that just because YOU don't have a use for it, a feature is useless. Not everyone uses lights the same way, y'know.

john1230

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to let people know that when this light reaches the end of the battery life, it just shuts off and leaves you in the dark so while it's great as a candle/area light it's let down by the black out at the end :(

I really wish manufactures would stop making lights that just cuts out on you when the battery is low, it should dim so that it gives you a chance to get out your back up light to change the battery.

stephenk

Enlightened
No moonlight mode. Strike 1.
No low-output on red, to preserve night vision. Strike 2.
Yet ANOTHER RGB light with no color mixing. Strike 3.

Are all these light companies sharing the same retarded business plan and playbook? Why do we see the same things over and over again, with no innovation? What is this... the 5th RGB light released in the last year with the same tired old high-output single-level modes and flashy cop blinker idiocy? Oh wait - this one has flashing red and green instead of red and blue! How groundbreaking. Yawn.

Manufacturers: Red mode is for ONE thing - to preserve your night vision once your eyes adapt to the dark. This ONLY works if the red is at a VERY low level! STOP GIVING US RED LIGHTS WITH 10+ LUMENS!!!!! They are WORTHLESS FOR THIS!!!!

Also, when is even ONE of these light companies actually going to INNOVATE, and release an RGB light that lets you mix the 3 colors to get new colors? IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!! Computer monitors have been doing it for more than 30 years now! Come on - I'll buy at least 3, won't SOMEBODY please just do it already???

Sorry for the ranting. Too many disappointments today - I didn't need a flashlight company to disappoint me too.
I would love to see an RGB light with colour mixing. However there are some patents (owned by Philips Lighting) that require licensing fees. This would eat into the profit margins of any flashlight with RGB mixing. This may be a reason why we have not yet seen a colour mixing flashlight.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wanted to let people know that when this light reaches the end of the battery life, it just shuts off and leaves you in the dark so while it's great as a candle/area light it's let down by the black out at the end :(

I really wish manufactures would stop making lights that just cuts out on you when the battery is low, it should dim so that it gives you a chance to get out your back up light to change the battery.

Hi, just out of interest what battery did you use ? I think if a light is flat regulated then tapers off prob requires more work and money.

john1230

Newly Enlightened
Hi, just out of interest what battery did you use ? I think if a light is flat regulated then tapers off prob requires more work and money.
Hello there, I used an old non LSD NiMH that I was testing. I consider any light that cuts out when the power is near depletion without warning a failure as it defeats the purpose of needing a light source. It's just bad design and I wish they would put a little more thought into the light before releasing them. Merry Christmas to everyone.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah ok, I bet if it was running alkaline it would taper out as the nimh is prob delivering enough current to the very end . Especially on a low powered light like this.

john1230

Newly Enlightened
Ah ok, I bet if it was running alkaline it would taper out as the nimh is prob delivering enough current to the very end . Especially on a low powered light like this.

I can safely recommend that you don't gamble because you'll lose your last coin!

I tried it with an alkaline and the run time was worst but it still just switches off without dimming:(

Vēer who did a review over at budgetlightforum noted that if you tap the tail when placing the light on a table it'll switch off. This effect is even more pronounced on alkaline! (on rechargeable NiMH it's not as sensitive) slightest touch of the tail cap on any hard surface and it'll turn off:ironic: Talk about a lemon. I recommend people don't buy the light until Klarus fixes it and releases version #2.

While you're at it Klarus add a third lower white mode for better run time!