MDA telethon ending...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Honestly I saw this coming. It's partly because of the huge amount of competition for eyeballs, and partly because so many people don't sit down and watch a lot of tv at one sitting anymore, binge-watching notwithstanding. There's also the falling out between Jerry Lewis and the MDA.

It's sad to see it go though. I used to watch every year when Jerry hosted it - it just wasn't fall until Jerry sang.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Although I didn't watch it every year he was (and is) one of the greats.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when the MDA started fund raising using Jerry Lewis, they were the only ones that had a telethon. Then in the late 1980's, early 1990's there was the Farm Aid telethon.
Telethons are costly to produce. The 3 major on air networks all devoted time and personnel. Musical talent of various genre performed.

Today, people are tired of all of the pitches for funding. Everyone wants just $18 a month. This adds up to real money which many people don't have to donate. Unless you or a family member has the disease dejour, we're too busy to care.

In closing, the vast majority of people today don't know who Jerry Lewis is other than possibly seeing on a commercial for the telethon. Different times we live in.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the reason for the 'falling out' between Jerry & MDA is because Jerry brought the remedy to their attention, and the MDA didn't want to give up the gravy train.
Well, the train has come to a complete stop.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I thought the reason for the 'falling out' between Jerry & MDA is because Jerry brought the remedy to their attention, and the MDA didn't want to give up the gravy train.
Well, the train has come to a complete stop.

I know there is treatment, but is there a "remedy" yet? If there is, I can see why the MDA wouldn't want to publicize this.

Latest posts