help select network capable color inkjet

iddibhai

Enlightened
well, the ol' hp895 we bought in '99 (top of line back then--and about the only network ready and readily available consumer printer on the market) and now it has gone dead. so, what else is out there that is network capable for home use (not the big laser type things in offices). has to be color inkjet, has to be network ready (wifi home network). the only one i am currently aware of meeting said requirements is another HP, can't recall the model, 11xx or something. anything else? suggestions? thanks.

jhereg

Enlightened
You can buy a WiFi adaptor and make most printers network capable. They are not hard to setup. The adaptors seem to run about $100 - $200 in the stores. That can be more than the cost of the printer, but it does greatly expand your choices.

Andy

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
You could purchase a hardware print server or as Jhereg has mentioned, many wireless/wired routers now include a parallel port for networking any printer.

Linksys offers a USB print server seeing as many manufacturers are now offering USB-only printers (plus there is a PC card slot if you want to go wireless) for $100. I have just installed one for an HP1012 printer, it was a snap to set up.

iddibhai

Enlightened
just to add some more info, the printer will be connected to the home desktop (internet and print server), and all other computers are wifi, so do i need a network ready printer if it will only be hooked up to a single computer?

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
No, you can use any parallel or usb printer (even those 30-50$ printers would do fine). And you can print from any networked computer.

[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
[...]
so do i need a network ready printer if it will only be hooked up to a single computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a LAN, printers are either Local (on the machine you are using), or Remote (on another machine or router, etc.).

A Network capable printer can be used Local or Remote, while a Local only printer (like the HP Deskjet 670C) can only be accessed from the computer it is connected to.

Neko2

Newly Enlightened
Get the epson c82n or c82wn. One is wired the other wireless.

The best parts about it are each ink color has it's own cartridge and it prints uv water resistant ink.

It doesn't print on some glossy photo papers but other than that I've been very happy with mine.

N2

iddibhai

Enlightened
so i do need a network ready printer, thanks for clearing that up charles. will look into the c82n, dont do much color printing (get better results by sending out the photos to a lab), just some colored text and such.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I'll just jump in here because basically, installing printers into office networks is one of the important things I do in my job.

Wired or wireless, nearly any printer with a parallel port or USB port can be a network printer. The hardware you are shopping for is a network print server, of which HP's JetDirect products are an example. Many manufacturers make such products, using parallel or USB connections to the printer, and either a Cat 5 wired or even a WiFi compatible wireless network connecton. Just shop for a good print server and nearly any printer that fits your needs can be connected to it and it will work. The limitations may be if you select a printer that has multi-functions, such as a digital film reader or scanner built-in. Often these only work right when connected directly to a PC, but printing still works fine. Select the right print server, and it should last through several different printers. I'm still using an older HP JetDirect 170 for my Kyocera laser printer, and that is the 2nd printer I've used it for.

In the situation that is being described above with a printer connected to a PC and shared, the operating system of the PC makes a difference. Win9x PC's don't share nicely to Win2000 and XP PC's. Generally, a dedicated print server box is the best way to allow all PC's to print easily across the network.

Just to point out an alternative, I've also seen Kyocera Mita FS-C5016N printers going for $2500 and less at times on ebay. This is a color desktop laser printer with parallel, USB 2.0, and built-in 10/100 ethernet network print server. They can be fitted with a wireless network card to print directly via your WiFi network, and the cost per print is a fraction of any inkjet color. Total lifetime cost of a color laser printer can be less than any inkjet if you make hundreds of prints per month.

iddibhai

Enlightened
i don't want to get a print server or any other add-on, just a straight up inkjet (not multifunction) that will connect to one computer via par. or usb, and all other computers in the house should be able to print off it (how it is currently but the printer is dead). so i'd need a network ready unit (w/o getting a print server or other bits and bobbles), correct?

iddibhai

Enlightened
charles, thanks again, now that i'm perfectly cleared up, time to go shopping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jhereg

Enlightened
That is not correct. If you are connecting the printer to one computer on the network you only need a USB or Parallel printer. You can share that printer from that computer on the network. The disadvantage is that you have to leave the computer on to access the printer. If you want to connect the printer directly to the network then you need a network ready printer or a print server for the printer.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
iddibhai you're getting mixed facts & suggestions here, and I believe if you provided this information we all might come to a consensus with our responses.

1. What are the operating systems you want to print from? (Windows versions what? Any Macs or Linux in there?)

2. What OS versions MIGHT you want to print from in the next couple years? (Any plans you might upgrade your OS or fiddle with Linux or buy a Mac for a family member?)

3. Would you be ok with the result if you put your printer onto one of your PC's, then set up printer sharing, then your OS crashed leaving you unable to print from another PC until you either fixed that crashed PC or physically connected the USB/par. cable to another PC and went through the setup + share on a different PC (which may or may not work depending on version differences as BF Hammer stated)

4. Would you be ok with the result if you got a dedicated hardware print sharing box (which runs only about $50 for the basics if you wire it to a port of your wifi router, twice that for a wifi version of the same thing.) and that print share box died leaving you unable to print until you either fixed it or bought another or set up shared printing by directly connecting your printer to one of your PC's as in #3?

5. If your printer were wired to your wifi router/server/box would that be a convenient place, or do you need your printer to be wifi too (maybe your router is in a dark corner of your basement next to your cable modem and you want your printer in your office)

I guess what I'm getting at is that if we knew more details of your current setup and also your objective we'd be able to give you much better advice.

iddibhai

Enlightened
1. What are the operating systems you want to print from? (Windows versions what? Any Macs or Linux in there?)

WinXP all around, with no plans for upgrades

3. Would you be ok with the result if you put your printer onto one of your PC's, then set up printer sharing, then your OS crashed leaving you unable to print from another PC until you either fixed that crashed PC or physically connected the USB/par. cable to another PC and went through the setup + share on a different PC (which may or may not work depending on version differences as BF Hammer stated)

shared priter from one desktop is how it is set up now, and i do a decent job of maintaining the computers--no crashes or other issues in 4yrs running.

4. Would you be ok with the result if you got a dedicated hardware print sharing box (which runs only about $50 for the basics if you wire it to a port of your wifi router, twice that for a wifi version of the same thing.) and that print share box died leaving you unable to print until you either fixed it or bought another or set up shared printing by directly connecting your printer to one of your PC's as in #3?

there is no router or any other box in the network, it is an ad-hoc wifi set up, just the desktop has internet and printer attached, both are shared, that's how i'd like it to be.

5. If your printer were wired to your wifi router/server/box would that be a convenient place, or do you need your printer to be wifi too (maybe your router is in a dark corner of your basement next to your cable modem and you want your printer in your office)

no broadband, dialup, and should we get broadband in the future (not likely, but...), then i will just share the connection at the desktop, no routers or boxes.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if we knew more details of your current setup and also your objective we'd be able to give you much better advice.

right, thanks!

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some anectodal evidence of why the details are needed.

I started with 1 Win PC, 1 Mac and a printer. Win2000, Mac OS 8.1 and HP G85. Network was 10/100-T (wired Ethernet)

I couldn't put the printer directly on the Winbox because then the Mac couldn't print to it, even with sharing set up.

I couldn't put the printer directly on the Mac because then the Winbox couldn't print to it, even with sharing set up.

I couldn't put the printer directly onto the network because it only had a USB & Parallel port, no Ethernet.

My only solution for printing from both was to get a print server box that supported both OS's and connect the printer directly to the Ethernet. I investigated print boxes to put the printer online and ended up (per my usual way) with a relatively expensive JetDirect 300x print box. I need that version because I would soon be using Linux on the Winbox for some coursework in computer science and unix-like machines print natively in a different way from either Mac or Windows. The version for 1/2 that price wouldn't support printing from lpr and I also needed to get an HP print box so I could use the G85's scanning & fax services over the network.

Now, after I bought the 300x it turned out that the Mac OS version didn't support printing directly over TCP/IP and I needed to upgrade my OS to make it print right over Ethernet. But then I learned that minimum needed OS upgrade wasn't compatible with my poor old 8100/80AV, so I was stuck with no printing from that computer.

Per usual, my children created a tragic solution to my dilemma by coincidentally breaking the keyboard & trackball for the Mac. As it would be too expensive to replace the old type inputs, I bought them a used WinPC for $25 and now had only to support Win95, Win2000, and Linux.

Problem solved. A pyric (sp?) victory, but a victory nonetheless and the print server has been faultless since I bought it about a year ago. It turns out that I'm going to end up needing nearly every feature of that print server especially because my wife is now wanting "a cool Mac" for herself. So location, speed, availability and above all compatibility all figure into the printing equation.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
no broadband, dialup, and should we get broadband in the future (not likely, but...), then i will just share the connection at the desktop, no routers or boxes.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you get broadband and it supports DHCP, you will more than likely need a router.

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
His PC "sharing" the connection _is_ the router and there is no reason not to work with DHCP.

[ QUOTE ]
tiktok 22 said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you get broadband and it supports DHCP, you will more than likely need a router.

[/ QUOTE ]