Home Wired/Wireless Network... need advice/help!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to some changes throughout our house recently, our home network has some new options, which I would like to explore.

Right now we have a Linksys 4-port wireless router hooked up to a total of three computers. Two are wired up and one is wireless. We are not going to be able to wire up one of the computers anymore because of some chaning around of our computers and household. My family would like to get a wireless card for that computer. We might also waat to get another wireless card for the third computer, and go completely wireless.

I am not sure what brand of card I should get. It needs to be a PCI card. Price is a definite factor, but we would like the card to be reliable also! Right now our router is Linksys, which I have not had good experiences with. Likewise, many computer people which my family knows also dislike Linksys. I am not really framiliar with any other brands, and was wondering if my fellow CPFers might be able to help me out. Thank you so much.

Edit: Right now we also have one printer for the whole network. We have to turn the computer on that it is connected to, and log into a screen to be able to print. This can be a pain sometimes. Would it be possible to hook up our HP Deskjet 882C to a device and be able to print off of any computer and not having to turn it on to a connected computer?

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Wow!

When it rains it pours - second networking question tonight.

I can't help you with wireless card selection, but if you really want to play it safe, if your access-point is made by Linksys then you would probably want to get Linksys adaptors. In general, as long as all devices support the same wireless communication standards (ie: 802.11b/802.11G/802.11A), the individual components should be compatible.

For sharing a printer without relying on a PC, you could purchase a router/wireless access point with a Parallel/USB port. The other option if you don't want to replace your existing router is to purchase a dedicated hardware print server (~$70 to $100)

Hope this helps,
Raymond

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raymond,

Thanks! I have a 802.11b connection now. I do have a Intel wireless card in my laptop that works with the linksys router. I would rather not use Linksys stuff, unfortunately, because I have had such bad experiences with them.

So I could get a router with a USB/parallel port on it? Interesting idea.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Home Wired/Wireless Network... need advice/hel

Do you really have to have a PCI card for your soon-to-be wireless machine? Have you considered the Linksys WUSB11? It's a USB Wireless-B adapter. It's very easy to configure, and it has a big advantage over PCI wifi cards - you can move it around to get a better signal. I think I paid about $40 at compUSA a month or two ago.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting thought tylerdurden... I think that would be okay too. I have an integrated wireless card in my laptop, which gets a perfect signal from across the house, so I don't think signal strength is really an issue, but the cost might be.

darkgear.com

Enlightened

I have installed them all and many of each. Linksys, Dlink, Netgear, Belkin, no names, off names all the way to Cisco(aironet), and even the upcoming Firetide system(very cool BTW, true wireless. only one wire!). Please know that unless you are buying Cisco equipment they all have similar failure rates so don't go changing out all the hardware because you had a bad experince with Linksys. The grass is NOT greener....

Linksys is even ahead of the pack when it comes to features(not including Cisco) like their new firewall do TKIP now(encryption key cycling). Followed closely by d-link.

In any case, working with what you have now. Try to stay wired as much as possible for stability. When you absolutely cannot be wired then use wireless.

tylerdurden is right about the wusb11. It is better than a PCI. Easier to install, more options for antenna placement, you can move to another machine or NB if someone comes over. Price is not prohibitve about $48 delivered(found on Pricewatch)

For a print server that's the expensive part. Wired print server as low as $50 (or lower if you buy factory refurb) or you can get a wireless print server for about $116(WPS11)

Alright now lets get crazy. Lets assume that you need all the bandwidth and you don't just internet all day. Like you play LAN games or do video editing and transfer a lot of large files all the time and you don't want to share the pitiful 11MB that 802.11B offers. Well then buy a 802.11G Gateway with print server, 802.11G AP and 2 802.11G NICs set one AP and one NIC to channel 11(or 1) and leave the other at channel 6(default) and you have yourself 2 independent 54MB channels(possibly full duplex depending on brand giving you 100MB+). Just make sure your not going through a lot of hardwood. These things don't like solid oak or cherry furniture, staircases or even wood paneling between them. You will also only get about half the distance of 802.11B before it start throttling to lower speeds. Heh fun but expensinve :p

Good luck.

Best regards,
Randy

tech

Newly Enlightened

With Mac OSX and Windows XP you can share printers...no need for a new router or hardware...you just have to have one machine always on, and hooked up to a printer.
Piece of cake.

TK

drs2000

Newly Enlightened

My buddy said to try USB wireless, and I have to agree. Many more options and portability, and often about the same price. I have a few, and they all work well..

Outpost had 'em on sale cheap, but they're out. They do have the PCI card in stock, tho, on closeout for $19.99... That's before the rebate. $9.99 after. I bought a bunch of the Uniden network stuff from them and it works well. And it's a screaming good price. Type uniden into the search to see the other stuff. Here's the link for the PCI card: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3882017
Some people would sell you just the antenna for $9!

Yours, drs the cheap.. Typing an an Asante USB wireless link, myself..

DRS the crazed..
p.s. The interoperability of the 802.11b stuff is pretty good. I've got 5 brands of stuff. All works decent..
drs
P.P.S. Uniden's been in the wireless communication business for many decades, BTW. Good FRS, cordless phones, etc.. Cheap, work well, good value. IMHO, anyway..
drs

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well what ended up happening was my family went out, and we bought one of these little suckers.....
MA111_open.jpg
Netgear Webpage

I am very impressed with it. It is very, very small! I am completely amazed that it does everything the little cards do.. and more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Netgear might not have been the cheapest brand, but I am very impressed with the quality, accessories, and the software it came with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Netgear: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif The PCI FA311 card I have, windows can't find the bloomin drivers for (Win98SE), even when pointed to the correct directory. As it turns out, the 10/100 adapter built into my Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee motherboard didn't get damaged (RJ45 socket). Only the Cat5 M/M cable got damaged when I wasn't my usual careful self and pulled it out (for swapping 2 HDDs).

After checking the website, Netgear doesn't like shared IRQs. Unfortunately, all IRQs in my system are already taken (EHCI takes IRQ 5). Of course this problem may only apply to Windows.

In my case the cable modem is connected to the 10/100 nic. I could use USB directly to the modem, but, that would limit me to windows for internet.

Doesn't matter, unless the mobo nic goes south on me. However, the info above on my problems, may be of use to those of you with netgear adapters.