Perfect EDC light

DaKar

Newly Enlightened
Well, for sure this is an issue that has been discussed in the forum but let me do my two cents.

What we expect from a flashlight? The first is to give us light.
Any kind of light will serve? Here is where the differences begin, is not the same for someone who lives in a big city than someone who lives in a house in the country.
The first one needs a compact flashlight and the second a largest and most powerful one.
It has not been long since the flashlights had incandescent bulbs and only had a single light output, and we also managed with them. In a few years flashlights gifted with Led have evolved at a dizzying rate and now have multiple power levels and multiple functions.

Ok, what is the ideal flashlight for your today needs?
This is like try to find the Holy Grail, some flashlights are more or less adjusted to what we need, but always missing something that have another flashlight model. At the end, I think there is no perfect choice and we need to live with a couple of flashlights for compensate the deficiencies of each other.

I happened to do this poll to all who want to participate, so that you can write the characteristics of your perfect EDC flashlight and share between us. Keep in mind we are talking about EDC flashlights, not for specific tasks:

Battery type and amount :
Size long, min and max :
Diameter approx :
Min and Max lumens :
Number of Output Levels :
Functions: SOS, Strobe, etc :
Switch place, body, tail, etc :
Clip place :
Other things (explain) :

Please, consider I'm a noob :whistle: in the flashlights world, so you can change or add things that I forget, have fun!

You can copy and paste the text in to your reply and write in each section.

Here's my ideal flashlight:

Battery type and amount : 1 x CR123 / RCR123
Size long, min and max : From 6 to 7 cm (2.4 to 2.8")
Diameter approx : Around 22mm (0.87")
Min and Max lumens : From 0.1 to 200
Number of Output Levels : Continuous form min to max (rotating wheel control)
Functions: SOS, Strobe, etc : Not really needed for my EDC
Switch place, body, tail, etc : Body
Clip place : At the end of the body for deep pocket carry
Other things (explain) : None

Please, be consistent with the type of battery and the maximum length of the flashlight, for example a 18650 battery will not fit in a 7 cm flashlight. Also note that a small battery and very high lumens not give a good runtime.

If a lot of us agree with the same criteria who knows if a flashlight manufacturer can create a new model with this basis :D

Well, thank you very much and we will see what comes out of this.
(Sorry for my bad English, I hope can be read :grin2:)
Regards from Barcelona city, Spain.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery type and amount : 1aa or 2aaa
Size long, min and max : 3.75" - 5"
Diameter approx : <<1"
Min and Max lumens : ~100 lumens with >3,000cd spot intensity
Number of Output Levels : 1
Functions: SOS, Strobe, etc : n/a
Switch place, body, tail, etc : tighten-for-off head twist only
Clip place : n/a
Other things (explain) : tail stands, submersible, hard anodized, glass lens,springs at both ends.

I can get all the above attributes in one light except for the "other things", quality characteristics.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yes, the length is the sticking point. I was about to say I want one too!... But I admit I like more than 200 lumens and neutral if possible.

Amelia

Enlightened
There is no such thing as the perfect kit item.

True - but you can get very close.
For EDC, my Sunwayman V11R Neutral White with two 16mm bored AA extender tubes (allowing the use of 16650) comes VERY close to perfection for me. The size is just right, the variable output magnetic ring with forward clicky is the perfect UI, the emitter puts out bright and beautiful neutral light, and 16650 gives me LOOOOONG runtime. I love the quality and appearance of the light too - it's really classy. The only things I'm really not happy about is that the lowest setting is sometimes not low enough, and the magnetic ring is grease frictioned and gets looser over time. Other than that, it really is a perfect thing for my daily handheld illumination needs! :)

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
My Sunwayman V11R Neutral White with two 16mm bored AA extender tubes (allowing the use of 16650) comes VERY close to perfection for me. The size is just right, the variable output magnetic ring with forward clicky is the perfect UI, the emitter puts out wonderfully neutral light, and 16650 gives me LOOOOONG runtime. I love the quality and appearance of the light too - it's really classy. The only thing I'm really not happy about is that the lowest setting is sometimes not low enough, and the magnetic ring is grease frictioned and gets looser over time.

Sounds like a nice light. IMHO The best tool is the one actually on hand within the second of time when actually needed.

recDNA

Flashaholic
For EDC, my Sunwayman V11R Neutral White with two 16mm bored AA extender tubes (allowing the use of 16650) comes VERY close to perfection for me. The size is just right, the variable output magnetic ring with forward clicky is the perfect UI, the emitter puts out bright and beautiful neutral light, and 16650 gives me LOOOOONG runtime. I love the quality and appearance of the light too - it's really classy. The only things I'm really not happy about is that the lowest setting is sometimes not low enough, and the magnetic ring is grease frictioned and gets looser over time. Other than that, it really is a perfect thing for my daily handheld illumination needs! :)
I have the same setup in my V11Rvn. XM_L2 neutral 80+ CRI

chuckhov

Enlightened
The problem with finding the perfect light, is that when you have found it, you quit looking.

Where's the fun in that, and what kind of life is that for a Flashaholic?

Thank you,
-Chuck

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
What chuckhov said. Even if I could find my "perfect" light (which would not be YOUR perfect light) I would still want to have a variety. Most of us here on CPF are long past the "need" stage...we keep coming back because lights are fun, and this is a great forum, with a very knowledgeable user base.

You can get an 18650-based light that is under 3.5 inches. 2.8, inches, no, but not too far off, and a heck of a lot more capacity (easily quadruple compared to RCR123/16340, more than double compared to CR123).

Do you read some of the many threads already devoted to this topic?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-What-are-the-specs-of-your-perfect-EDC-light
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?196474-My-perfect-EDC-light
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?383348-Looking-for-my-last-EDC-light-purchase
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?379704-My-Perfect-EDC-Flashlight

And many, many more...

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The problem with finding the perfect light, is that when you have found it, you quit looking.

Where's the fun in that, and what kind of life is that for a Flashaholic?

Thank you,
-Chuck

I have about a dozen perfect lights, and I keep buying more! :)

All kidding aside, I have not yet found a better EDC (for me) than the E1B. I considered the EB1, but I do not need more light, and I prefer the flat regulation.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rotate between a Sunwayman V11R and an EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky, both with IMR 16340s inside.

They offer me enough light at enough levels to be useful on an everyday basis. Plus, both are small and slim and don't take up too much valuable pocket space.

Chris

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no perfect light for every occasion. So I have lights for different occasions (and even occasions that may never happen).

I am impressed with the advances in leds - output, efficiency, tint, etc. - and take advantage of the benefits they provide. I have an AAA XP-G2 N in my pants pocket everyday. I run it on a NiMH rather than a 10440 to get more runtime. I find that I don't need more output most of the time. This meets most of my needs. But I need/want more.

I also have a very small 10180 on my key chain (with a spare cell). Very floody and so small that it isn't even noticeable on the key chain. (The Tube is another similar option.)

In winter, I keep an 18650 light in my coat pocket. Either a small one with a triple head or a titanium tank. Longer runtime and more output.

mc84

Newly Enlightened
What's perfect for ones edc needs may not be for the next. Personally I like the size of the Fenix UC30 and the built in rechargeability is awesome (usb ports are everywhere). Also if the Sunwayman C22C had a built in rechargeability it would easily replace my uc30 for edc.

Berneck1

Enlightened
The Eagletac D25 series are great lights. They have a few different configurations.

That said, the best light is the one you will have with you. This is regardless of run times, battery types, lumens, etc. Size is the absolute first thing you should consider if it is truly to be an EDC. If the button type Photon is the one you will always carry then that's the perfect EDC. Maybe you're able to carry an 18650 light at all times... then that's perfect.

For me, the D25a is perfect. It's very small and slim. Puts out about 500 lumens with a 14500 battery, and I can quickly replace it in most situations with an easy to find AA that still gives me a respectable 200 lumens. I have many other lights that I swap in and out depending on what I'm wearing, etc, but the D25a is ALWAYS with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having had Peak Eigers, El Capitan, McGizmo's, Malkoff EDC, Surefire 6P, Surefire 3P, 4sevens Preon pens, 4sevens Atom CR123, and just about most little lights possible.

Here's my ideal flashlight: Fenix E15

Battery type and amount : IMR 16340 or CR123 primaries
Size long, min and max : 60mm
Diameter approx : Around .90mm
Min and Max lumens : 75 & 175
Number of Output Levels : 2
Functions: SOS, Strobe, etc : NONE
Switch place, body, tail, etc : Twistie
Clip place : Keychain carry
Other things (explain) : Less is More

A small light is a must for EDC. Fat 18mm type lights just don't do me any good as they are too fat for pocket carry. IMR 16340's these days can take 10A of current.
I carry my keys everywhere so it only makes sense to carry a small flashlight there too, why I love the Fenix E15 so much.

Custom: Very simple really. Make it direct drive with XPL, XML2, XPG2, or XPE2 and you can get up to 1500 real out the front lumens from a tiny keychain light. This is what I am having done to my Fenix E15. At 5A plus of current almost all the switches in flashlights melt and produce a lot resistance hence why a twisty would be a great remedy for both.

I will do a review on my DD Fenix E15 when I get it back from the modder but in stock form it was utterly spectacular in form, function, simplicity, and brute lumens for such a small EDC.

bigC

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hey Big C! How are you. BTW, cannot be .90 mm. That is less than 1 mm.

BTW, although I prefer my V11Rvn because of the magnetic infinite adjustment ui and amazing output the Malkoff MDC rechargeable neutral XP-G2 is a spectacular EDC. It's great with the 14500 body or the 16340 body based on your own preference. Same lifetime warranty in a light with more output than any HDS. Again the HDS UI and lower lows beat out the MDC but if you like a simple forward clicky format the MDC is your EDC

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Big C! How are you. BTW, cannot be .90 mm. That is less than 1 mm.

BTW, although I prefer my V11Rvn because of the magnetic infinite adjustment ui and amazing output the Malkoff MDC rechargeable neutral XP-G2 is a spectacular EDC. It's great with the 14500 body or the 16340 body based on your own preference. Same lifetime warranty in a light with more output than any HDS. Again the HDS UI and lower lows beat out the MDC but if you like a simple forward clicky format the MDC is your EDC

I like effective and efficient..... The Malkoff EDC seemed to me like it was made for a 18500 or at very least a 17500. In other words it was way to thick for hosting just a AA/14500, it bothered me so much I was going to have it bored to fit my 18500 cells but in the end I decided to just sell it. BTW: The McGizmo PD and those Titanium CR123 bodies have the same issue or bonus if you like them fat and overbuilt.

The McGizmo 2xAA body I had was just as shocking in the hands. Seemed like a Surefire 9P and heavy like one too. By far the longest, heaviest, and among the thickest AA bodies I have seen.

I like dedicated lights to match the hosts they are for. that's one thing I too don't like about my Peak Eigers, Volcanos, Logans, ect.. They are among the biggest keychain AAA and AA and even fatter than most in their class yet I have had one on my keys for 2yrs now.

bigC

randy01

Newly Enlightened
Battery type and amount : AAA 2X
Size long, min and max : About the size of a pen, hence a penlight is perfect
Diameter approx : not too much thicker than AAA cells
Min and Max lumens : 80 - 200
Number of Output Levels : 3
Functions: SOS, Strobe, etc :Not needed for an EDC in my opinion
Switch place, body, tail, etc : Tail Clicky
Clip place :pocket clip
Other things (explain) :

For me, i live in an urban city, work in an office most of the days (except for when I'm out on job assignment in remote jungle areas), hence the best EDC should be something easy to carry, has decent runtime, and has cells that are readily available in case they run out. hence a penlight will suit my needs very well. Was looking around and eventually settled with a Nitecore MT06. Not perfect, but good enough for what i require. Runs on 2 AAA, has two outputs, 80/160 if I'm not mistaken and has a very nice tail clicky. light outputs also sufficient for most of the situations i use it for, though i wish it has a low low mode (moonlight some call it? ). Strobe SOS etc won't be needed for an EDC IMO. Runs for approx 5 hours on the low mode which is more than sufficient for urban city use.

Haven't had the luxury of trying other penlights yet but I'm sure i will soon! My 2 cents worth.