Looking for a light/lantern combo-rechargeable

Diesel Pro

Newly Enlightened
I had a cheap rechargeable spotlight that also had a lantern tube built into it. I kept it at the cabin. The spotlight part was pretty weak, but the lantern was quite handy for quick and quiet light to get geared up by in the morning etc. A recent break in found the light gone among other things so now I shop for something better. I'm not wanting to spend a lot, maybe 100-200 which is far more than what I had in the other one. It would be handy to have the main light be a good thrower. I have a Rigid Halo rated at 800 lumens that throws nice. Nice to shine the fields at night and see who's out there.

The first banner that I saw here was for the Klarus RS 20. This looks like a nice 1050LM thrower, but will the lantern side give me decent light in a 15x15 room?

Comments or suggestions???

Amelia

Enlightened
For a lantern, I've found that white silicon cupcake molds over normal tailstanding flashlights are OUTSTANDING!!!
You can get the molds on amazon for around $5 per 12 molds, and they last forever. Lights won't melt or discolor them, and they glow beautifully. I use a little piece of metal window screen to lift them above the bezels of smaller lights, they fit perfectly over "coke can" sized light bezels without needing lifting.

These also work great outdoors, where there's no cealing to bounce off.

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I often use water bottles, 1/2 a ping pong ball... for yellow light I've shined throwers into clear cooking oil bottles....

Diesel Pro

Newly Enlightened
Tailstanding is an idea, but bump the table and it tips over easily. I suppose I could make a holder, but working in a remote cabin it would be simpler to stand on the objective end. What I had worked so darn well I'd just like something of higher quality thrower.

I have several of the Coleman fold away lanters, but they always seem to be dead like they drain the batteries and I hate to throw away the alkalines.

lytumup

Newly Enlightened
I have the older version (2014) and yes it will light up a 15x15 room, you wont be able to read a book by it, but will have enough light to get dressed etc. It also has held up well to cold weather, I also live in Wisconsin and the battery life has held up very well, as the light sits in my truck. The main light is a decent thrower but the beam pattern isn't as wide as I would like, yet this light has performed very well, no flaws and it was buried under snow for a couple of days, as is no worse for the wear.