Help! Please? E2d or E2D LED for Eventual Upgrade?

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2d or E2D LED: which model is easiest to upgrade?
And in practical terms, doesn't that mean a LED modd?

The store is holding a sale. I chose an E2d incand, with all-matching Black HA3 – very cute.
As soon as I got home, started thinking that the E2D LED Defender (same price) may have been the better choice.
Basically, I wanted to have an example of the E-series Defender style – BUT – really want to upgrade it, soon.

The few E2-type incand upgrades don't seem particularly bright, but at least they'll just drop-in without me having to make any changes to the light.
If I go for a LED, then the tower drop-in upgrades don't need any metalwork.

But what if I go for something like a Tana TripLED?

All I need to know is if my model is do-able. The crown is a separate part, so it should be removeable.
Inside, the head is recessed to about half-way, with a tube descending to act as the lamp guide.

(The original E2e heads were practically solid aluminium, except for the reflector parabola and a shallow space to allow for a few turns of threading, very over-engineered indeed).

Any advices?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi LL,

My personal take on it would be that the E2DL is easier to upgrade to another LED. Doing the E2d does mean removing a lot of material from inside the head. Not something I would even want to do with out a lathe, but it certainly is possible.

If I am not mistaken Lumens factory still makes some good incan bulbs that you can drive with a pair of IMR cells. I think they are like 150 ish lumens. They also make an LED replacement head for that light.

Doing the E2DL can be done by hand. Back before I had a lathe, I put an SST-90, MOP reflector, and a 3 amp buck driver in one. Only tools I had at the time if I recall were hand tools and a grinder.

I think at this point I would probly suggest maybe an XHP-50 and an FET driver if you do the E2DL. A pair of IMR 16340s in that should net you 1200+ lumens easy.

In the E2D a triple XPG2 would probly be easier cuz of the lower profile

Hope this helps.

Latest posts