My Sunwayman V11R mirage is running a Triple XPG2 off 1 eneloop (fun build)

ChibiM

Enlightened
Hey,
this is just a little show and tell of what I did with my Sunwayman V11R Mirage.

Just a build for fun... not for long time use... but you could do much better

I was looking at the bezel of the v11R and held a Carclo triple optic next to it.. and though.. hmmm that looks like it will fit.

1. So I took the bezel off, and the optics just fell right in... as if it was made for it.

2. Then I took a triple XPG2 on a 20mm Noctigon MCPCB and tried to put it in the head.. (actually the part below the bezel with the fins). But this didnt fit, too wide.

3. So I took out my cheap file, and filed the 20mm into a +/- 17mm (drew a circle on the backside, and filed it by eye)

4. Took the old emitter out, and connected the olde wires to the wires from the triple MCPCB.

5. I also had to file the 3 pins of the TIR optics so they would fit inside the head as well.
(the domes of the optics also are a little too big, so the bezel doesnt fully screw down. )
(you could just file them a little down as well for better fitment)

and voila.. A triple running in my Sunwayman V11R Mirage ;)

Results: a triple SWM V11R... but the output on AA stayed about the same...

See the tools I used. and what I did.

I basically used only 5 tools. Mini vise, big file, small file, soldering iron, dremel.
You could probably do with only 1 file, and without a dremel. The dremel was only used to make the legs thinner on the optics.

17268218159_992035298e_z.jpg

The MCPCB is not the one I used.. I already had one pre-fitted with XPG2 and wires.
I put some tape on the optics, to protect them from scratches during the process

Some better ways to do it... PROPERLY

If you want to do it properly, you need better tools..
If you want to run it off 14500 you better make a shelf inside the head that will let the MCPCB touch for heat transfer.
or even add a copper pipe on the back of the MCPCB that will make contact with the mcpcb shelf.
Replace the wires from the driver to the triple. (I just connected the old wires to the triple mcpcb)
Maybe bump the current.

17398339226_7767985723_z.jpg

17238108969_98986ee910_z.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
Cool! I once asked Vinh if he could do this sort of build. Single XM-L2 puts out more with less work but triples are inherently exciting. I would suggest a GITD sticker in the head to maximize the cosmetics.

ChibiM

Enlightened
Well, the good thing about this mod is that its easily reversible!
everything is still stock.. nothing has been touched of the original light.. it can be put back at any time.
even if you made a "shelf" once the original parts have been put back, it wouldnt be noticeable unless you open it up.

Take note though, that the head of the V11R Mirage is easier to take apart than the V11R Revolution. Maybe different glue.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job! I love small triples.

So far I've converted the following lights to them:

Jetbeam TCR-01 titanium: triple Nichia 219B. No changes to driver. (400-500 lumens)

Roche F12: triple Nichia 219A. Cut battery tube down to fit an 18350. 3-amp driver. (500-600 lumens)

Convoy s2+ mini: triple XPL 3D with widened Carclo optic. Pill reduced to allow room for 18500 cell inside. Later further modded to eliminate tailcap switch and mount a side electronic switch. External heatsink added. DrJones lumodrv firmware on FET driver. Entire light is just 73mmm long and resembles a fat Zebralight SC52. (2500-3000 lumens)

Sunwayman C20C: triple XPG2 neutral with FET driver and DrJones lumodrv firmware. (1700-2000 lumens)

DQG mini 18650 tiny III: triple XPG2 5A2 neutral with 4.5 amp Nanjg 105c with DrJones Mokkadrv e-switch firmware. Entire light is 89mm long with cell installed. Very small for an 18650 light. (1100-1300 lumens)

Sipik SK58: Small AA-sized zoomie converted into a triple Nichia 219B with 3 amp driver. Connecting negative ground was a pain though with the floating driver board. Still it works and is quite small for a triple. (500-600 lumens)

I also have a few triples that came as hosts or prebuilt:
Convoy S6 SSSP from Mountain Electronics. 6-amp 3-mode driver. Triple XPG2. (1500 lumens)
Sinner Cypreus 18650 mini copper. triple dedomed neutral XPL and FET driver. (3000-3500 lumens)
Sinner Cypreus 18350 mini titanium. triple dedomed Nichia 219B and FET driver (800-1000 lumens)
Noctigon Meteor M43 1D DD. The king of triples! My biggest, heaviest, brightest and throwiest LED light (6300 lumens). Not practical for EDC carry though.

Of the bunch my favorites are the following:
1. Convoy S2+ mini. Ridiculous lumens for such a small light. It also looks utterly unique because of the heavy amount of modding done to both the inside and outside of the light.
2. DQG 18650 Tiny III. Smallest 18650 production light in existence. Beautiful to look at and feels great in the hand. This is also my most recently modded triple so it carries extra loves.
3. Jetbeam TCR-01. Absolutely gorgeous looking titanium made even more beautiful with the snazzy triple optic. Feels good in the pocket and works great. Not a pocket rocket like some of these others though.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hey,
this is just a little show and tell of what I did with my Sunwayman V11R Mirage.

Just a build for fun... not for long time use... but you could do much better

I was looking at the bezel of the v11R and held a Carclo triple optic next to it.. and though.. hmmm that looks like it will fit.

1. So I took the bezel off, and the optics just fell right in... as if it was made for it.

2. Then I took a triple XPG2 on a 20mm Noctigon MCPCB and tried to put it in the head.. (actually the part below the bezel with the fins). But this didnt fit, too wide.

3. So I took out my cheap file, and filed the 20mm into a +/- 17mm (drew a circle on the backside, and filed it by eye)

4. Took the old emitter out, and connected the olde wires to the wires from the triple MCPCB.

5. I also had to file the 3 pins of the TIR optics so they would fit inside the head as well.
(the domes of the optics also are a little too big, so the bezel doesnt fully screw down. )
(you could just file them a little down as well for better fitment)

and voila.. A triple running in my Sunwayman V11R Mirage ;)

Results: a triple SWM V11R... but the output on AA stayed about the same...

See the tools I used. and what I did.

I basically used only 5 tools. Mini vise, big file, small file, soldering iron, dremel.
You could probably do with only 1 file, and without a dremel. The dremel was only used to make the legs thinner on the optics.

17268218159_992035298e_z.jpg

The MCPCB is not the one I used.. I already had one pre-fitted with XPG2 and wires.
I put some tape on the optics, to protect them from scratches during the process

Some better ways to do it... PROPERLY

If you want to do it properly, you need better tools..
If you want to run it off 14500 you better make a shelf inside the head that will let the MCPCB touch for heat transfer.
or even add a copper pipe on the back of the MCPCB that will make contact with the mcpcb shelf.
Replace the wires from the driver to the triple. (I just connected the old wires to the triple mcpcb)
Maybe bump the current.

17398339226_7767985723_z.jpg

17238108969_98986ee910_z.jpg
Why not make a bunch of these and sell them?

ChibiM

Enlightened
? Because I don't have the right tools I suppose. Nothing nut some hand tools and a dremel. Living in an apartment has some benefits though, but space isn't one of them :(