Why 2-10 second mode memory Thrunite Ti3?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't they have just made it a mode memory, or else a no memory light?
All I can see is that maybe Thrunite intended to make a mode memory light and there was a component mistake that snuck through to production (let's just call it a feature).

I'm really stoked about this light now that the Atom A0 has opened my eyes to aaa lights, the only wart is this 2-10 second memory thing.
It seems like the only function is to remind the user that the Ti3 is Almost a 3 mode memory light.
Can anyone enlighten me?
I've got a neutral version on order.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Yeah, never understood that myself. I don't find it very useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your incoming Ti3 NW, with XP-G2. The Ti3 memory "feature" bugs me too :).

I will be interested in seeing a beamshot color comparison with your Atom, especially if you have this Titanium one?: http://www.foursevens.com/products/A0-Ti NW with Nichia 219

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too Jon.
Yes it's the Ti Nichia,
I'll be happy to do a beam shot comparison.
What I'm stoked about is that each of them can act as the spare battery carrier for the other, depending upon which one gets the most use.

Also I've already messed with Zebralight H502W mounted directly above Zebralight H600W and combining their beams to let them both run low power while letting me see well.
I'm definitely going to be trying the Atom A0 with the Ti3 on their lows for the minimalist version of the same goal.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a Chinese thing.
Nice Copper Avatar, I see you also appreciate Chinese flashlights :)
A USA made nonreversible pocket clip for the Beta, costs 50% more than a complete Thrunite Ti3, reversible clip included.
b7d9bc250ccb2f9acdbbf0b12ff84ae3_original.jpg

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Copper Avatar, I see you also appreciate Chinese flashlights :)
A USA made nonreversible pocket clip for the Beta, costs 50% more than a complete Thrunite Ti3, reversible clip included.
b7d9bc250ccb2f9acdbbf0b12ff84ae3_original.jpg

My avatar is the rare and elusive Copper Worm.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Ti3 today.
I really like it (nice low, nice tint), I really like it in spite of the 2-10 second memory... is every bit as frustrating as I feared.
Honestly they almost broke the light with this "feature".
It's a really nice light none the less, but I'm going to fully express myself to management here, only because this light is So close to being excellent. .
Basically the 2-10 second memory eliminates the advantage of a no memory light while giving none of the advantages of a memory light, and all of the hassle of having to wait 10 seconds to get back to low...
In actual use it's a bit frustrating, again, and again, and, well everytime.
It's a great light so I'll just learn to deal with it but if I've got anything to say about it the next version will either be genuine long term memory, or No memory.

Last edited:

Berneck1

Enlightened
That's a good point. It's like a feature for the sake of being a feature, but adds no value..

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wrote a long post here explaining how mode memory works from a technical point of view, then realised it does not apply to this light..... sorry.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Ti3 today. I really like it (nice low, nice tint), I really like it in spite of the 2-10 second memory...

Congratulations! I look forward to beam color comparisons with your Atom AO Titanium. Im really curious about the N219 compared to the XP-G2. Im really close to pulling the trigger on an N219 light myself.. The Prometheu$ Beta.

One possible use for the short term memory of the Ti3 is when flashing.. ;-)
for example, sometimes I want to use High for a few moments, then turn it off, count to 8 and turn it back on, still on high.. for example when walking around my car at night, checking the tires, or to make sure there are no "cat's" hiding under it. It also works for sending SOS messages, though Ive yet to use that "Morse Code Feature", so to me the memory is almost, but not quite useless.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds interesting zipplet.

You can find the post in the Flashlight Electronics board. I guess it sort-of applies - perhaps the microcontroller that Thrunite used in the end does not have EEPROM and cannot retain the mode once you power it down for too long.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I'll check that out zipplet.
jon_slider, the tints are very close.
I actually got two of them, so I could choose the best one for my taste and give the other to a friend who'd think I was being ridiculous preferring one over the other anyways.
So of the two, one was a "little" warmer and slightly dimmer, the cooler and brighter one is a nearly perfect match with the Atom A0 Nichia, and a very close match with my ZL H600w as well.
I'll try and get some long exposure pictures for you in the next day or two.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the cooler and brighter one is a nearly perfect match with the Atom A0 Nichia.

just a cell phone shot of the beams on a wall is plenty

after all the talk about CRI and Nichia, Im trying to get some idea where the standard G2's in olights and ti3's fall. I have zero reference info on what the Kelvin temperatures are for the G2's in our 20-30 dollars aaa lights might be.

I will ask Prometheus if I can put my i3s, Maratac Rev 3, and even my Thrunite Titanium on their color temperature tool tomorrow... Im very curious

Like you, I bought two Thrunites, chose the one with the color I like for myself, gave the other to one of my kids, after getting the threads polished smooth. The one I kept is still gritty, despite hours of hand spinning..

btw, whats your feedback on the thread quality of your Ti3? Is it smooth and easy to use one handed?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thread quality is ok, a tiny bit rough, as if there was a bit of talcum powder fine sand in there. I would not consider it a make or break issue by a long shot.
It's a very small light, without anything attached to it is almost too small for me to manipulate one handed anyways, with keys attached or even a loop of cord it's doable.
I've also got a Fenix LD01, which is also destined as a gift. Now I don't care for the tint, the levels or the order of modes, but comparing it to the Thrunite Ti3 just shows the Ti3 shortcomings.
-and for a non tint, non moonlight runtime snob, who just wants a bright, tiny, quality thrower for their keychain the LD01 is Clearly Superior.
The threads of the LD01 are considerably smoother, and the + contact and board in the head are of noticably higher quality -much thicker contact surfaces.
I'll include those pictures once I've gotten back up to speed on the image hosting for this site and made the beam shots requested.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
a tiny bit rough, as if there was a bit of talcum powder fine sand in there. ...
I've also got a Fenix LD01, ... for a non tint, non moonlight runtime snob, who just wants a bright, tiny, quality thrower for their keychain the LD01 is Clearly Superior. ...
The threads of the LD01 are considerably smoother

I have noticed that my thrunite ti3 uses a silver spring that is stiffer than the copper colored spring on my olight i3s. My maratac had the same silver spring and also felt gritty, until I swapped in the softer spring from the i3s. So, if you take out the battery, is the Thrunite threading smoother than it feels with a battery, in which case its a tight spring scenario.. still not good.

Thanks for confirming that Fenix has better threads and or spring tension.

for others reference the LD01 is a 26-3-72 lumen sequence.
the Thrunite Ti3 is .04-12-120
Olight is 20-85-.5
Maratac 40-1.5-138
Atom AO Titanium .3-30

if firefly or moolight mode is not of interest, I dont think the Thrunite is a good match. I agree the LD01 is an excellent choice for a non moonlight, dont mind blue tint, urban light. I have a friend that carries one, he asked me if I though he would like a Thrunite, I said no, he should stick with the LD01. fwiw among these lights, only the Maratac uses PWM. The one I give as gifts is the Olight, it just works, smooth out of the box, great first mode for non oholics, and imo a really nice moonlight, for the more rare occassions when dark adapted light is needed.

I will be very interested to see a tint comparison of your Thrunite, Atom and Fenix, even though the mode levels dont match... Im looking for relative tint differences.

also, here is a quick impression of the Prometheus, with beam comparison to other LEDs
-First-Impressions-Prometheus-Beta&p=4654666#post4654666

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pic. Im also a picasa user. Seems to make a link to a pic, it works to click on the insert image button in the posting window, 3rd icon from the right. I really like how fully flooded your N219 Atom AO beam is. Your Xp-G2 looks typical to what I see also. strong narrow hot spot.
20150515_143613.jpg

I like floody beams. My current widest hotspot is on the Thrunite Titanium, 2nd from the left
IMG_7364.JPG

In the following pic you can see how much wider the Xp-L dome is, and how much more copper tone is in the N219
IMG_7400.JPG

Last edited: