Surefire C3 or L5?

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was trying to locate an L4, and then I made the mistake of running accross my Surefire catalog. Now I am not sure that the L4 would give me the modular componets I would like, so here are a couple of questions.
Surefire C3...
1. How bright is the KL5?
2. Can I use a spacer, and run a P60/P61 lamp?
I am considering this because of the amount of configurations. Not regulated is about the only con I can think of.

Surefire L5...
Is it interchangeble with any other bezels, ie. incandescent, turbo head etc...?

Thoughts and feed back on this would be most helpful

leng

Newly Enlightened
1) The KL5 is 65 lumens for 65 minutes ( regulated) then it starts to dim..

2) You should be able to use an M2 or C2 head on the L5 body

3) The L5 body is the exact same as an M2's down to the extra o rings in the tailcap..

hope that helps, although I hate to tell you I doubt you'll find an NIB L5 or L4 anywhere.. I know I've been looking to add an L4 to my collection as well..

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you have a C3 or other standard body three SF123A SureFire (C3/D3/Z3/9P etc) you can convert it down to a two SF123A model to use the P60/P61 lamps by replacing the third SF123A with a Z20 Battery spacer.

If you have the L5, you can take off the KL5 bezel and put on any number of bezels and TurboHeads.

For example - KT1, KL3, M2 bezel, C2 bezel.
If you don't mind a black bezel on a HA flashlight then there are many other options.

Al

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the KL5 work on 3 cells? I know the KL4 is only supposed to be on 2 max correct?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have one KL5 running on two cells and another running on three cells. It overdrives on three cells. To be honest I don't notice that much difference in use. I've not tested the runtimes though.

The KL4 is designed for two SF123A's.

Al

terrybright

Newly Enlightened
This is more responsive to the headline of you message than to the actual content of the text. I own both a Surefire C3 and a Surefire L5. Assuming that my examples are representative (and who knows?) there is no comparison in terms of performance. I love my L5 for it's smooth, white beam. I have moved my C3 with it's somewhat uneven but bright beam to the back of the drawer as a back-up to use when all other lights fail. I realize that you were more focused on modularity but basic performance matters also.
Terry F

Deanster

Enlightened
Terrybright - could you give some indication of the brightness/throw comparison for the L5 and C3? I've been looking hard at the L5, but my Z3 is an awfully good light, with amazing brightness and decent throw in a very moderately sized package.

I'll admit to being skeptical that the L5 can match or exceed it - especially since it's my backup 'bump-in-the-night' light (M6 is the primary).

I'd really appreciate your or anyone else's thoughts on the L5/C3 comparison with beam intensity/'tactical' considerations in mind.

Thanks!

bwcaw

Enlightened
Having had the D3 which is similar to the C3 only without the grip ring, I know the brightness and compactness of sf's 9v personal lights. It simply can't be beaten by any other light in that size. Since you already have a z3 though, I see no good reason to buy a C3 as well, so I would have to tell you to go for the L5. I have one, and it is simply an amazing led light. The advantages of the L5 are numerous compared to an incandecent light, including shock resistance, and slightly longer usefull runtime. Plus the L5 has a nice even, white beam without any oval wierdness like the sf P lamps have. It is IMHO the replacement for the surefire M2. It isn't, however as bright as a 9v. light, so don't be surprised there if you get one, but it does keep up with most incan. 6v lights (non hola) quite well.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
It can be taken off but I am not sure if and how you get it back on. You might have to cut it off though - I have never tried it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

terrybright

Newly Enlightened
Deanster - yes the C3 with the P90 head is brighter than the L5. The C3 has more spill and a more intense, oval hot spot. It also has some rings. But the L5 is smoother more round and generally nicer. I don't have a web page that I could link to a comparative beamshot (which I gather is necessary for posting images on this forum) but I could email you a jpeg if you want.
Terry Faulkner