Eagletac D25 Runtime

28gauge

Newly Enlightened
Picked up an Eagletac D25 aaa. I like the light, particularly the build quality and the lens. However, I find the run times not all that good compared to other aaa lights. Any thoughts?

12 lms- 6 hrs

60 lms- 1.3 hrs

145 lms- .7hrs

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
Picked up an Eagletac D25 aaa. I like the light, particularly the build quality and the lens. However, I find the run times not all that good compared to other aaa lights. Any thoughts?

12 lms- 6 hrs

60 lms- 1.3 hrs

145 lms- .7hrs
#

Agreed - pretty crap! I say that cuz I just done some tests with a Klarus Mi02 and E01 - these are single output (11 Lumen) twisties (both had identical run times to each other).

I managed around 20hours on Eneloops (if I remember correctly), check the thread for the review as that has actual times.

I found huge differences on the batteries too, alkalines I could run out. However I have not physically had all 4 lights (3 E01's and 1 Mi02) long enough to run out an energizer lithium yet. NiMh last longer than the Alkaleaks though, but as the energizer lith's are still running I still cant compare the NiMH to them (Panasonic Eneloops).

If you are running on the included in box alkaleak, could be the issue. As I suspect they wont be the best Alk anyway.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

12 lms- 6 hrs

60 lms- 1.3 hrs

145 lms- .7hrs

Assuming those are regulated outputs on a 750mAh AAA Eneloop, you're getting an efficiency between 80-110 lumens/watt. While that's not fantastic, it's not bad either. I'd say it compares okay to most lights, especially in the AAA category.

If you're using a higher capacity battery, such as a lithium, and only getting those run times, then it's not so good.

But overall, I don't think you have much to complain about, if those are the true outputs and run times.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own this light but I have a few D25As and I do some output/runtime testing with a lightbox. I find ET and 47s to be using US-ANSI specs like my Malkoff, HDS, and from what I've followed, Surefire too. My samples from Zebralight, Armytek, and Thrunite (later V2s), seem to be on a significantly more liberal set of standards, certainly closer to Selfbuilt's lumen scale. You can see this in SB's tests of ETs D25 series, and the 47s Quarks and Penlight - he finds these lights output to be in the 40-50% "understated" by his lumen scale. Btw, SB does not make any claims as to ANSI lumen accuracy, just "relative accuracy," with which I agree.

In another independent example, this output runtime graph (on a Fenix lumen scale) shows the ZL SC52 108 lm mode against the D25A 75 lm mode (nearly identical beige and green lines, I had the same results):

Selfbuilt's result: 120lms x 2.5hrs = 300 lm-hrs
Zebralight spec: 108lms x 3hrs = 324 lm-hrs
Eagletac spec: 75lms x 2.5hrs = 188 lm-hrs

14913213546_f77ab6099e.jpg

Certain manufacturers claiming "ANSI-FL1" standard is meaningless.... everyone is still basically free to do as they please. If you want to compare specs between lights, make sure you use the proper "adjustment" factors, and Selfbuilt's reviews can be a good proxy, if you don't have the equipment or patience to test them yourself. Bottom line - depending upon which manufacturers/lights you are comparing to, you might need to bump the D25 lumen-hour specs up by ~50%.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

12 lms- 6 hrs

60 lms- 1.3 hrs

145 lms- .7hrs
I've never trusted stated lumens and run times. However, I suppose they are a lot better than they use to be. What I find useful is in comparing one light against others. While I don't have the D25a AAA, I do have a D25a AA mini (XP-G2 twisty version), and its one of the most efficient single AA lights I have ever tested. This was up against a dozen or so other single AA lights. I don't own any Zebralights but from what I have seen they seem to be very efficient and well regulated too.